“After dinner delight”
Review of Max Downtown

Max Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Max Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 452 Restaurants in Hartford
Price range: US$ 60 - US$ 80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Trumbull Street
Description: The crown jewel of the Hartford, Connecticut dining scene, Max Downtown has been serving its guests for over 21 years and remains a fan favorite. After a top-to-bottom renovation in the summer of 2017, the restaurant has never looked (or tasted) better.
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

A couple of friends and I stopped for a late night snack at the bar that turned out to be a top notch feast. First of all, the pasta dish (I can't remember the type of pasta) was freshly made and exceptional. No joke folks! One of the best I've had.
The burger was perfectly made and very flavorful. The cauliflower dish was also very good. I can't remember what my friends ordered, but they raved as well.
I also had the best Margherita hands down. Whoever that bartender was, she's the bomb.

The atmosphere was much less snooty than I thought it would be. For the quality of our food, atmosphere and the professional staff that served us, the price was well worth it. I can't wait to go again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Some restaurants just don’t get the big picture. We have been going to Max Downtown for the last year either before or after Hockey Games. I estimate we have been there 7-8 times and have always enjoyed the food and service. In addition, I have frequently gone to other Max restaurants such as Max Oyster bar in West Hartford for business lunches. On Friday night we made a reservation at Max Downtown as usual. When we arrived we explained that we were going to the game and needed to get out in about an hour or so. The service was dismal. As I put it to the manager, had this been our first time at Max Downtown it would have been our last time. It took 10 minutes for the waiter to come over, it took another 15 minutes to get drinks (which came after the appetizers), and after about an hour our food finally came out. I was ready to walk out before that. This was discussed with the manager and the waiter who was clearly spread too thin. Eventually the food came. And the quality of the food was very good as usual. But the icing on the cake was the bill. Given all the discussion and out disappointment they bill was adjusted by the price of 1 drink. Really? Here is a case where restaurant management had a chance to fix a negative customer experience but instead inflamed it and lost a customer. Had they, for example, taken off the price of all the drinks we would have A. chalked it up to a bad night and B. made up in the cost of drinks in a tip for the overwhelmed waiter. Instead, after at least a dozen visits to the Max chain, we won’t be coming back again and will find other options in Hartford.

3  Thank Peter L
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

5 stars are not enough to give this upscale restaurant. Food, service, ambiance exceeded expectations in every way. Very busy Tuesday night yet we never felt rushed. All food choices prepared to perfection from the crab cocktail, beef and seafood entrees, desserts and even the coffee. Highly recommend for any occasion.

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Overall the food was exactly what you'd expect from a quality steakhouse. The only hiccup was that the server stopped by right after the menus were dropped and then I didn't see him for 15-20 minutes... Finally appeared when a manager stopped by to ask how things were. It was Restaurant Week (though I didn't order off the RW menu), so they may have been busier than expected.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

5 stars!!!!
Service was amazing and the food was superb!
Loved the buffalo cauliflowers, oysters and my Cobb salad.

Cannot wait to return.