“Easy, interesting spot near the highway”

The Kitchen at Billings Forge
Ranked #42 of 487 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I was passing through Hartford on a mini road trip and we decided to stop in Hartford. The Kitchen had great reviews and was near to the highway which made it the most convenient place to stop.

I had the avocado toast and a lavender lemonade- both were very good. My friends had salmon and quiche and everyone was happy with everything they ordered. The staff was also really kind and conversational (which isn't something we're used to coming from the super-rushed city of Boston!)

This place also has a cool story behind it and finding a place with good food that supports the local community was a double win!

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

A few years ago I stopped on the way to work for a breakfast sandwich, then it became a regular thing. There's a nice choice of quality breads and ingredients that build a great clean flavor.
So, when I go back to Hartford I always get back here at least once or twice during a 5 day stay.
I think the sandwiches are still $4.
The Kitchen is connected to The Firebox and is a sort of community training ground for it's employees.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Seating is tight but the food is pretty good. Daily special that would be suitable for most taste buds. Lost of fresh herbs and tomatoes grown on sight. Perfect for spring and summer.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 2 December 2016 via mobile

I went here all the time when I was an intern at the CT department of Agriculture and I loved every minute of it. The lavender lemonade is the bomb and I love the kale and white bean salad...so good. It's a healthy place with options for all. If you haven't been here...then you my friend are missing out.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 21 June 2016

There are not a lot of options for lunch in this area, but this is clearly the best. The prices are a little higher, but the quality of the food makes up for that. I had the curried chicken salad sandwich, and I enjoyed it very much.

Date of visit: June 2016