“Exceptional Italian dining with incredible service”
Review of Salute

Salute
Ranked #1 of 452 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2018

My family and friends have talked up Salute for years so we finally decided to go for dinner. Salute is 5 star service and dining at its finest that lives up to its wide range appeal. If you want to stop reading this review here all you need to know is that you must go...

I would definitely recommend making a reservation in advance. We made ours at 7 PM on a Friday and still waited approximately 15 minutes before we were seated. The host was impeccably dressed and very attentive to us as we waited. The restaurant itself is tastefully decorated very much in the high end Italian dining atmosphere. They have a mid-size bar, which was packed with patrons. Staff apologized to us multiple times for the wait, but once we were seated we were waited on hand and foot! The transition from each plate was seamless. As soon as we finished one dish our waitress immediately whisked our plates away and had our next plate ready.

We started off with the "Soon to be famous" garlic cheese bread. I hadn't had much to eat for most of the day and man did those cheesy garlicy carbs make my stomach smile. The bread was cheesy without being overtly greasy and filling so as to spoil one's appetite. We then had the steamed mussels. The mussels were super fresh and the portion was appropriately sized leaning on the generous side. The cream sauce was light and a little runny, but very tasty to the extent that we savored and consumed every last drop. I had the sidecar martini and my husband had the chai on fire martini, which features the Hartford Flavor Company's chair liquor...both were equally delicious. Salute also has an expansive wine menu selection in addition to their mixed drink offerings.

For entrees I had the pasta a la vodka and my husband had the chicken a la bella. Both pastas were cooked perfectly (slightly al dente) . The vodka sauce was mildly rich and creamy without being overbearing. The broccoli was a delicious addition and made the dish a delicious medley of textures. The chicken a la bella was bathed in a delicate mushroom cream sauce and the chicken was amazingly tender and flavorful. The portions were generous to the extent that we took leftovers home, but quite honestly our meal was so good I was also tempted to finish everything!

As we were leaving and putting our coats on the owner, Jimmy, approached us and asked us to stay for a complimentary dessert cocktail. He stated that he felt badly that we had to wait for our table (which really again wasn't that long) and really appreciated our business. I have never had this happen to me before, but wow we were so taken aback at his kind offer and obliged. This certainly speaks to the incredibly high standards that Salute adheres to and their quest to deliver the perfect dining experience each and every time.

Salute is located near the corner of Bushnell Park and is easily accessible from I-84. There is a parking garage right behind the restaurant and if you bring your parking ticket the host will discount your fare by 50%.

WE WILL MOST CERTAINLY BE BACK!

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Ordered an app, entree, and dessert, with a glass of wine. The bread that came out had a roasted tomato butter with it that tasted quite good though the butter was hart (a pet peeve of mine, but I realize others may not care as much). The app (butternut squash ravioli) was out within 2 minutes of ordering. Which leads me to believe it was just sitting in sauce ready to go. The taste was pretty decent though the ravioli themselves were a bit gummy. The entree (gnocchi with chicken and sundried tomatoes) was also... fine. The gnocchi were a bit gummy as well (though not bad) and the chicken was both too large to be bite sized and too small to be whole pieces. If you're going to cut the pieces into chunks, at least make them bite sized chunks? The chicken itself was overcooked and thus was a bit tough. For dessert was a scoop of gelato and a scoop of sorbet, which were quite good. The wine was cheap and priced accordingly. Not a knock at all as its what I ordered. For the price, it was pretty decent.

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

The food here is fabulous! The prices are fair and the service is usually great. A great choice in Hartford.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

Little gem in the heart of Hartford. Family owned and run. Excellent service, super friendly staff and the food is to die for. Excellent cheesy garlic bread for appetizer. Even their bread with butter is awesome. Had Penne pasta for lunch with chicken. Amazingly affordable prices and big portions. I’ve been back three times since then. Have friend chicken sandwich for lunch which was also amazing taste, value and portion size.

Have yet to be disappointed with anything I’ve ordered. Will be back again soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Eh. At best, eh. Tuna was good, but sauce tasted purchased. Chicken parm was dry. Gioboto(?) Pasta had a nice heat, and absolutely nothing else. One dimensional dish. Scallops were not properly seared, leaving them a little mushy and overly salted. Ick. Four cheese garlic bread was hyped up. Maybe they are misrepresented as an Italian restaurant, but their other cuisines were sub-par. But for CT, SOME of the poorest Italian food I have had. Wait staff was fun, attentive and quick.

1  Thank Karl H

Been to Salute? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK