“Expected Better Service - Poor Value” 2 of 5 bubbles

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey, U.S.A.
“Expected Better Service - Poor Value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

A family wedding in the area provided for and made arrangements for guests to stay at this property. As one of our party was having a birthday we researched the hotel online and decided to spend an extra night to celebrate and visit the local area. Our stay was very disappointing. What the hotel promises and what it delivers are two different things. For example, we requested extra towels through their "Online Concierge" with a confirmation email and received none even after a phone call after our arrival. To be fair the property was clean and well maintained but very noisy at night as other reviewers have pointed out. The room was clean. The physical amenities were better than average, especially the gym and pool.

Staff, however, left a lot to be desired for this class of hotel and the rates charged. The thought occurs that perhaps the hotel is understaffed for the number of guests the property holds. The many inconveniences pointed out to the staff were met with a sorry, a shrug of the shoulders, and not much in the way of offering any resolution to the inconvenience. Each occurrence taken by itself could be considered insignificant, but when all are added together it made for a very disappointing stay and a poor value for the money spent. Perhaps, the best example of the poor service and attitude is, when preparing to attend the wedding (which was being held offsite) I requested at the front desk change for a $100.00 bill anticipating that I would need smaller bills for tips, etc, for the evening. I was told by front desk staff they don't carry that kind of cash. When I asked the desk person again, not sure I quite understood, I was told there was a bank down the street I could drive to if I wanted change. This from a major hotel with hundreds of rooms that caters to not only hotel guests but other guests visiting for the events in their banquet center, in addition to a restaurant on their property. This example best illustrates the attitude we encountered the entire stay.

There's no point in detailing each inconvenience and poor staff attitude, and there were many. Suffice it to say, many guests find this hotel to be acceptable, we did not. Maybe we caught it on an off weekend, or perhaps staff didn't show up stretching the staff on duty. Based on our experience, and others in our party staying in different rooms, I would not recommend this property. In my opinion, it was a poor value. If you do decide to stay, and they place you next to an elevator lobby and the ice machine, immediately request a different room. The noise level is simply unacceptable. Also be prepared to be nickel and dimed for everything from internet service to water at $4.00 for a small bottle in your room.

Room Tip: Avoid any room next to elevator lobby or ice machine because of excessive noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank REV028
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

The outstanding service at the front desk makes this the place to stay. I especially appreciate Adam's superb service followed by Taylor and Tara.
Well done!

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Chicago IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed here four nights in June 2012. Unfortunately two of those nights were when weddings were held at the hotel. The guests who attended the weddings and were staying at the hotel returned to their rooms around 1:30 a.m. Noisy, screaming, yelling in the hallways for quite awhile.

The hotel is a great location, very clean and staff is attentive. Used the Red Door Spa for massage and facial. Worth the cost.

Room Tip: If you're here during wedding season, you might request a room away from wedding parties.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ldg4283
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

One of the best Marriott-brand properties I've stayed in. It's recently remodeled and has a clean/new feel. Rooms are generously sized and modern. Very convenient to I-95 but not much to do in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Cornwall, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed one night for an anniversary getaway. As soon as we walked in to the lobby, we thought it was quite nice. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and accommodating. We asked for an upgrade because it was our anniversary and we are gold members. Since there were 3 weddings that weekend, there wasn't any available upgrades. But instead they offered us a cheese and fruit platter and bottle of wine. We gladly accepted and within 5 minutes of stepping inside the room, they delivered our complimentary snack (which was plentiful and delicious). The room itself was very pleasing. I haven' t stayed in a category 6 hotel before, but I would imagine it would be what this room was. Clean. Decor very nice. The linens were a nice quality and the bed comfortable. Great size TV. I am a bit picky when it comes to bathrooms. I saw no sign of mold or mildew. I also didn't see any unwanted hair. Bath towels were plentiful as well. I liked that the vanity was granite and the fixtures were quite stylish. I would say the only downside to the bathroom was the soap/ shampoo. I would have expected, in a Cat 6, there be larger soaps and maybe not so much larger size shampoo's, but better brand and scent. I'm thinking maybe a Pantene or better brand would be more appropriate then the Aromatherapy in ginger scent. I did like that the hair dryer was a professional grade. The floor was quiet as well cinsidering there were 3 weddings that weekend. Unfortunately we didn't utilize the spa, but we did have breakfast in the octagon restaurant. It was buffet style. Service was ok, food was good. Overall, it was beautiful and i would stay again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear 4everadisneylover:
Happy anniversary! Thank you for taking the time to write a review and letting us know about your recent stay! I'm thrilled to hear how happy you were with our accommodations, services and amenities! Our Team of Associates is one of our biggest assests, and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the wine, fruit and cheese they sent up in honor of your anniversary! I am truly sorry that our brand of hair care products did not meet your expectations, as it is a brand standard. I will bring your comments and concerns to the brand design team.

I hope you will come back for your anniversary again next year, if not sooner to visit us!

Farouk Rajab
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groton
28.7 km away
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 5 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,179 reviews

Been to Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK