“Avg hotel, but above average for this area”

Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Groton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I grew up in this area so I'm very familiar with it. There are not a lot of nice hotels. With Marriott we know we'll get a clean room at least. The hotel is over-priced for what you get, but again, the alternatives are pretty bad.

Pros:
Clean rooms
Nice public areas
Red Door Spa on-site
Starbucks on-site
Easy access to the freeway

Cons:
Pricey
Unimpressed with service
Nothing in walking distance - you need to drive everywhere
Poor wi-fi connectivity beyond the lobby

Stayed: June 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa to celebrate a special anniversary. From the moment we contacted the hotel until the moment we left our experience could not have been more special. The staff was incredibly accomodating and showed great interest and concern in making this a very special weekend for us. There attentiveness to every request we had, their personal attention to every need and their attention to detail was stellar. We were give a choice of rooms which showed genuine interest in catering to our needs, the Director of Guest Services got personally involved in special requests I had made and delivered them specifically as I had requested them and we were treated like royalty the whole time we were there. My wife could not have been more pleased with our choice of hotels and the staff really showed what true hospitality is all about.

The Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa truly delivered great guest service and for that I want to highly recommend that the next time you need a great place to stay in Mystic, the Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa is your best bet!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Risk12
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I was here for a conference. I was not impressed.
First, when trying to get questions answered, it really depended on which front desk staff you asked. For example, wifi services were sketchy. One staff offered free wifi to make up for this ; another insisted that I be a Marriott rewards member for that break. I know at least four people who were very dissatisfied with The wifi service which was "an extra" for$9.95 a day. Marriott, really? Just add a few extra dollars to the room rate and eliminate the hassle for your guests. (Plus, in one of the conference sessions I attended, the presenter was unable to access her information because she could not get the wifi to work.)
Housekeeping staff did a nice job keeping things clean. However, I think it is time to clean the grout in the bathrooms and change shower curtain liners.
Please do something to soundproof your rooms. I am a heavy sleeper and every night I woke up because of noise in the hall.
Finally, the service in the bar was terrible. We waited to order. We waited a long time to get drinks. And we waited an even longer time to see our waitress again. We were going to have another cocktail but got bored waiting and eventually just stood up to get someone's attention do we could pay our bill. I should say I saw four staff there and, though busy, not all tables were filled.
If this were my first Marriott experience, I would not opt to stay at a Marriott. My experience has been that the Marriott chain does meet expectations and often exceeds them.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and pretty much everything was fantastic. The service was great, the food served at the conference was very good, and the rooms and decor are beautiful. There are only two things I can complain about:

First is the horrible wifi connection. It's not free, constantly drops the connection, and in the conference rooms and hallways it's pretty much impossible to even get the signal. I complained to the concierge and she said its always been a problem, and gave me a bunch of access codes so I wouldn't have to pay for the rest of my stay...but that is really not good enough when I need to use wifi during my business trip and can't. The worst was when I typed a long, important email on my iPad and lost connection halfway through and ended up losing the entire email because gmail couldn't save the draft.

Second is the location. There is literally nothing in walking distance, so if you don't have a car or don't want to spend a ton on cabs, you're stuck here. There is a very expensive steakhouse and a slightly less expensive hotel bar/lounge that serves a limited menu. Room service, as always, is expensive and they add 19% gratuity to the check. There is a Starbucks in the lobby but they don't sell any food except for pastries. So be prepared to spend a ton on meals and/or getting around.

I didn't use the fitness center, spa, or pool so I can't report on them.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We spent one night at the Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa. The hotel is very nice. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to help us with local attractions and dining options. The room was very nice, overlooking the lake across the road. We did not use the spa facilities, so no comment on that. Probably not the least expensive option in the Mystics area, but a great choice if you want a full service hotel. It is a 10 minute drive to Main Street, Mystic or Mystic Seaport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front of the hotel with a view of the lake across the road.