“Fantastic Meal! Will go back for sure. Reservations recommended.”
Review of Pappadella's

Pappadella's
Ranked #24 of 297 Restaurants in Danbury
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2018

There were 4 of us in our party and we had made reservations because it was a Saturday night. We were eating early (5:45pm) but didn't want to take chances. The restaurant is in a small strip of stores about 4 miles off 84 W in Danbury. I honestly don't know if there's a lot of commercial shopping close by because the surrounding neighborhood looks very residential. The place is very unassuming from outside.

There were plenty of open tables when we arrived but I'm not sure if there were other reservations and whether we would have been seated right away. When we arrived we were made to feel very welcomed.

We were given bread and a small plate of olive oil and garlic over butter. This was great on the warm (toasted) Italian bread. Delicious way to start the meal. We had a few appetizers... bruschetta, clams oreganato, and escargot. The bruschetta had melted cheese on it which I found interesting. I had one small piece because I was saving room. I also tried ones of the clams... delicious (as was the sauce left on the plate - great for dipping some more bread). I tried the escargot because... why not? It was also out of it's shell and in a sauce that I can't describe. I didn't particularly care for it. Just not my taste (the sauce).

As for the entrees, one friend ordered the Chicken Parmigiana and informed me that that's how he tests Italian restaurants. He was very happy with his dish. My other two friends had Cheese Ravioli and the Grouper Special (served with shrimp and scallops). They were also very happy with their dishes. I ordered the Veal Milanese which was served with a tri-color salad on top. The menu said "a dash of balsamic vinaigrette" on the salad and they meant "a dash." The veal was slightly dry (the Milanese doesn't have any sauce or gravy and was just sautéed in olive oil) but the balsamic from the salad added a little moisture. I would have like just a touch more balsamic on top but I was very very happy with the taste of my dish. The mashed potatoes were awesome and the steamed vegetables on the side were also great. I left a completely clean plate.

Overall, we were very happy and we've already talked about going back for another Saturday evening visit. One of my friends purchased a fresh cannoli to go. I have no idea if he enjoyed it (saved it for home) but he seemed happy to have bought it.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

We were looking for somewhere for dinner and came across this restaurant on the web. What got me sort of excited, (I am English so it is hard to tell!) was that I read the chefs here were at La Fortuna in Bethel when La Fortuna was good.

We all started with Escargots between we love snails, and they were delicious - a splash of Pernod was a good idea. For the main course my wife had Shrimp Scampi and declared it was great, especially the spaghetti. I had Cannelloni because La Fortuna did the best Canelloni and I was hopeful - I was not dissapointed. The Cannelloni was beautifully cooked and melted in the mouth. It came with a couple of aspagus tips, brocolli, a litle pile of mash potatoe and a sauce over the Cannelloni that was red and mouth-watering.

We would have had desert, but we had too much, but will have that next time we visit, which will be quite soon! Service was great, staff polite and one of the chefs came out to make sure we enjoyed our meal. Whether they are the chefs from La Fortuna or not I do not know, but frankly it does not matter - they are good, really good.

Reviewed 10 May 2017

We literally lick our plates clean every visit. Some favorites include the Chicken Cacciatore, sausage & pasta and sauteed spinach. The specials are always delicious as well. We've eaten there (and done take out) several times. We can't rave enough about the food and the service is first rate.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

My wife and I went there for a quiet dinner. The menu was slightly more varied than the standard Italian restaurant. The staff were very attentive and made great recommendations. Flavor was great.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

This 4 course meal paired with 4 different wines was delicious and great value for $50 per person. The owner/chef came out after each course to talk to the guests and solicit feedback. Well worth a visit.

2  Thank Tom C