“the best food in central ct”

The Essex Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Essex Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Centerbrook
Description: Restaurant, Bar & Market in Essex, CT. Experience regional American cuisine that draws inspiration from the land, sea and deep heritage of the Connecticut River Valley, alongside a legion of international flavors. We are located just minutes from the historical village of Essex, CT., and the many other charming New England towns in the Connecticut River Valley and along the Connecticut shoreline.
Reviewed 31 December 2017

I have eaten here twice and ordered take out once. It is fantastic !!!! I love the fresh creative well-prepared food at this restaurant. I ordered my favorite drink and the bartender nailed it right out of the box. I can not say that about any other bartender in the area. The owner chef is engaging and charming, creative and a true professional with a clear vision of what he wants this place to be. I love everything on this menu. About the takeout. We called them on our way in from the airport on a Sunday night about 20 min to closing and the chef picked up the phone. We didn't know what we wanted but he romanced a few dishes and we just said yes. They where exquisite. I am an NYC transplant and this is as close to that special NYC restaurant experience as you will get out this way. Please don't miss this place it is fantastic. I'm excited to try their " boozy brunch " as they call it.

1  Thank Roger R

Reviewed 22 December 2017

This is a strange restaurant that somehow just doesn't make it. The lay out is odd, as you enter from the rear; the seating is close so the noise level is high. The overall vibe is partly pretentious and partly trying-too-hard-to-be-hip. The food is somewhat overpriced and with the exception of the pretzel bread which was truly outstanding, the rest of the ambitious sounding menu was just okay: certainly not bad, but absolutely not outstanding in any way. I can't imagine this will last terribly long without some significant revisions.

3  Thank v0yageur22
Reviewed 21 December 2017

Last night my SANNO Spa team and I enjoyed our annual holiday dinner at this wonderful establishment. The ambiance, professionalism of their team, the warmth of the fire, decidedly different menu and attention to the details rates this a very high five! Congratulations to Colt Taylor for being daring in a landscape of predictable culinary choices. The Pretzel Bread, the NY Steak, the Lamb, the salads, sides and desserts were ample and Oh So Satisfying! We loved the open kitchen, the "buzz" of holiday cheer, the fun at the bar (Oh yes.. go to Happy Hour!) I am eager to return again and again. Bring your friends and share an experience named so aptly for the town we love! The ESSEX. I am so proud of you!

1  Thank LizzyTish17
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

We are locals but hadn’t tried this place yet. Went today with a group of friends for a fixed price lunch special the day of the Essex House Tour. It was really good! My entree was a turkey leg confit something or other with a soft cooked egg, wow SO good! The other entree was a chili which I’m told was fantastic. The appetizer courses were also good. And the dessert, a Cinnabon flavored bread pudding was excellent. The setting is contemporary and comfortable, really really nicely done, and the staff were all great. The prices on the dinner menu look pretty reasonable, especially for around here for a nice meal. And they have some daily specials and happy hour which we’ll try. Hope this place does well! Honestly this is SO much better than any thing you’ll get at the Black Seal or the Gris.

1  Thank alisa62
Reviewed 5 December 2017

The menu leans toward a sophisticated palette. It was interesting, enjoyable and very tasty. The flavors of the individual dishes came through with balanced complexity.
Service was attentive and friendly.
Price point was well worth the effort that was put into the food preparation and the presentation.

1  Thank Sylvia2002