Hotel Talisa, Vail(Vail)(Great Value!)
US$ 525
US$ 223
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 260/night.

Christiania at Vail(Vail)(Great Value!)
US$ 246
US$ 232
  • Breakfast included
Marriott's StreamSide Evergreen at Vail(Vail)(Great Value!)
US$ 385
The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort(Vail)(Great Value!)
US$ 324
US$ 291
  • Pool
DoubleTree by Hilton Vail(Vail)(Great Value!)
US$ 243
US$ 210
US$ 324
US$ 281
  • Restaurant
Austria Haus Hotel(Vail)(Great Value!)
US$ 290
US$ 240
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 287/night.

US$ 504
US$ 375
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 520/night.

The Sebastian - Vail(Vail)(Great Value!)
US$ 655
US$ 617
Priceline
1,174 results
All reviewsbully ranchswiss chaletfondueoxygen barking's clubcookiesheated floorsspa areabreakfast buffetturn down servicejunior suitethe indoor outdoor poolski hauseuropean feelski conciergefavorite hoteltop notch
Reviewed 17 April 2018

We closed the 2018 ski season at The World Famous Sonnenalp this past weekend and I was moved to report the trip to you, my friends and fellow Vail Village Lovers.

I called Jason Noring, the Reservations Manager, who once again hooked us up to a spectacular room with breathtaking views, and a great rate. As the date for our trip approached, Chief of Concierge -- Victor Rossi, emailed and called us asking for names of restaurants we would like to visit, so he could get us tables. He is a key asset if you want to hike, bike, shoot rapids, get into a restaurant, or make something happen.

When we arrived, we were greater by the lovely staff by name, as usual (think Ritz in Cancun, or Four Seasons calibre people). We had a 3 story fruit plate and an invitation to a reception waiting in our room. It was so nice to see Mr. Fessler (the owner), who is almost always on-site or available. The hotel is managed by Mr. and Mrs. Fessler and Stephon Schmid, the General Manager, all of whom are lovely and skilled people.

The clientele at the Sonnenalp is so eclectic, it is "like a box of chocolate ..." (you know the rest of that saying.) One night there were 8 Germans drinking snaps in Kings Landing. The next night, there were a bunch of Austrians and Texans having a wedding. At lunch we overheard a family of Italians speaking in their language. You won't find that at any "Howard Johnson's" in Vail Village!

The Sonnenalp has a relationship with the Ski Haus, which is located point-blank to the main Gondola -- including a segregated area for Sonnenalp guests only, separate ski concierge, and big discounts for top flight ski gear. If you want to ski Golden Peak (or any other far flung area) one of the staff will happily take/pick you up in one of the hotels' Volvos. Or, you can borrow a Volvo (or bike) as you wish.

We eat informally, so the Bully is perfect for us. Ask for Chris at the bar. He will fix you up with a Mudslide and a mountain of nachos!

After dinner we retired to Kings Landing, where LuBo (Prague, 3+ languages) can serve you world class wines, liquors, or (gulp) tequila shots. (That was a long night ) At 7 or 8 each night, Kevin and his band of renowns plays John Denver, Doo Bee Brothers, and other great artists. People dance, kids sit and watch, conversations in multiple languages can be heard.

The ground are spotless, the river (which runs through the property) is cold and clear, the buildings are constantly being upgraded and improved. The spa is world class, as are the masseuses.

There is nothing far from the Sonnenalp in the Village. You can walk to almost anything. Or, they will take you.

I asked a frequent guest from NY named Harvey, how many nights he had stayed at the Sonnenalp. He thought for a moment and said, "about 3,000 nights at this one. But that does not include the other one on the German Border with Austria." That is loyalty! And well deserved.

I have added some pictures, so you can see some of what I speak.

I hope that you have as much fun as you we did on this (and every other trip) to see our friends at the Sonnenalp!

Jim Pearson
Houston, Texas

Room Tip: Ask for a river view! There are no bad rooms.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim P
Reviewed 16 April 2018

the hotel is in a perfect location for shopping and enjoying all Vail has to offer. The food is absolutely to die for - the breakfast brunch is a must. The room we were in had old world charm with modern luxury.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2018

My husband and I just returned from a one night stay at the Sonnenalp. This was our first stay and I was excited to stay there after reading all the great reviews here.We have stayed at several other Vail properties but have always wanted to try the Sonnenalp My husband wanted to ski, and I wanted to just relax, try the spa, enjoy Vail and have a nice romantic getaway with my husband. I had high expectations, so I have to say I was so very sad when we checked in to find out we had a room with 2 double beds and not a king. I looked at my reservation and it did say king or 2 doubles, but I did not think we could not have a king. So a rough start and the front desk did not seem to care as much as I would have hoped. That being said, everyone was very polite and they did look at other options for us.

So I was in a bit of a sour mood upon getting to our room, but decided to get over it. Other than the double beds, our room was just fine. We had the Lodgepole Junior Suite. We were only there one night, but if you are planning on coming for a longer stay there is a lot of room for storage of clothes, ski stuff, etc. They had really nice welcome treats for us. Not sure if that is standard or not, but we had chocolate and macaroons waiting for us. The beds were very comfortable and the gas fireplace is a nice in the winter. The bathroom was great! There is a huge bathtub, but I never got to use it. The decor is cozy and more on the homey side rather than fancy. The only downside for our experience in the room was the heating/ air unit is quite loud. It turned into a white noise for me, but it was pretty loud.

The spa area is very nice. My husband and I enjoyed the outdoor jacuzzis (there are 2.). I got in a workout in a well-equipped room, and I had a massage which was enjoyable. They have a sauna and steam room, indoor/outdoor pool and well-stocked locker rooms (sunscreen, lotion, mouthwash,etc)

We also had a nice breakfast in Ludwigs. The buffet was lovely and the service was very friendly. We had drinks in the lounge area Friday night and it was a popular spot. There was live music (piano player/singer and second singer) and we had fun there.

So, bottom line is I would like to return to the Sonnenalp, but I will call to make sure I can have a king bed!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coloradowahine
jfaessler, Owner at Sonnenalp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to comment.
We will make sure to remember your bedding preference in tne future. I am so sorry that we did not take care if this opportunity this time. Something that is important to get right. I am glad our service miss did not completely spoil your experience with us.

Reviewed 14 April 2018

My son and I had the most wonderful stay at the Sonnenalp for three days of spring skiing. The hotel has thought of everything from gas fireplace in the rooms, humidifiers for the dry mountain air, heated bathroom floors and fresh cookies with the evening turndown service as well as one of the most conveniently located ski conceirges in town. The spa and pool area were beautifully maintained and we loved jumping between the pool and three hot tubs after a log day of skiing! I have never seen such an elaborate and high quality breakfast buffet as the Sonnenalps'! I will return with the whole family next time.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2018

We have been coming to vail for 30+years and this april was the first time that we had stayed at the hotel... what a pleasant surprise. The staff was attentive both at the hotel and at the ski concierge. service was personalized; the staff anticipated our needs and we were greeted by name. Our room was large and very comfortable, with treats left each night. I was booked through amex, and as expected offered a room upgrade on check in.
Breakfast is a buffet with numerous choices, and served in a sunlit glass enclosed space.

The hotel maintains an old world european atmosphere. It was a great place to stay and would not hesitate to return in the future.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple