“Lovely hotel, incredible service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Vail
San Francisco, California
“Lovely hotel, incredible service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

My husband and I recently celebrated our first anniversary at the Four Seasons in Vail, and we had a most wonderful time. We would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to be close to Vail Village.

Upon arrival, the hotel upgraded us to a mountain view one-bedroom suite; the room was quite spacious, with two balconies, a full bathroom and powder room with shower, and a living room area. We had a TV in the living room, a TV in the mirror in the bathroom, and a TV with DVD player in the bedroom. The bedroom also had a fireplace, though given that we were traveling in the summer we did not use it.

I will agree with a previous commentator who noted the decor was a little sparse - we felt the room was overly large for the furniture, especially in the living room area, but it wasn't a problem as much as it was an oddity - we certainly didn't need more furniture, we just felt we had a lot of space. All the furniture was in good condition and the bed was quite comfy, and the room was always clean - so we were happy campers (though obviously one is not camping when at a FS!).

There were a few minor hiccups that we noticed throughout our stay, but nothing so off-putting that it was an issue.

For one - the complimentary internet was spotty at best, at least in our room. Often times I would have problems connecting, but I was on an anniversary weekend vacation so it wasn't like I needed internet often. Still, I would have liked to have seen more consistent internet coverage, and also availability for more than one computer (you can pay for faster coverage for more devices, but I was under the impression the internet was part of the resort fee - and if it isn't, it should be included, IMO).

Second - the elevators had a peculiar smell for part of the time we were there. Kind of like a fish market (though not nearly as strong). It was quite odd and I was surprised it was never noticed / corrected.

And lastly - at times, I felt the hotel was understaffed. This was especially true with the concierge desk - there was usually only one concierge working and in the late morning time frame, quite a line could form. We were quite lucky in that we were the first in line so we weren't inconvenienced, but there were a few times I'd call up to the concierge desk and get no answer, which I assumed was because there was generally only one concierge working.

Those minor inconveniences aside, though, it's time to rave about the staff - those that we had the pleasure of encountering went ABOVE AND BEYOND to make our anniversary special, which is really what made staying at this hotel such a treat (and honestly, the reason I choose Four Seasons Hotels is for their service). From the front desk receptionist who upgraded us to a suite to the complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries waiting when we got to our room, we were thrilled with the personal service and attention to detail. I'd like to specifically call out:

Matt, the concierge - while I noted above that the desk seemed understaffed, Matt was completely competent and wonderful at his job. He was happy to book us a fly fishing tour and a clay pigeon shooting tour, provide directions, dinner recommendations, and an information handout on the Booth Falls Hike (do the hike! It is beautiful!) and answered every question we had about appropriate attire, departure time, etc. He was so friendly and helpful, and you could tell he loved his job and loved helping guests discover the joys of Vail. He was as friendly and helpful with all of my random follow-up calls - the desk just could have used another Matt!

Cameron, a waiter in Flame - we had Cameron for breakfast the first morning we were there and he was great; we had Cameron as our waiter for our special anniversary dinner, and he elevated his game even more and was phenomenal. Service was attentive without ever being intrusive, and you could tell he wanted to help make our anniversary dinner memorable. He was friendly, quick to offer advice on his homeland when we mentioned we are visiting there soon (New Zealand), and was always making sure to top off our wine and champagne before we even noticed it was half gone (with Cameron it never was half-gone!). Having had the opportunity to dine at some pretty incredible restaurants (3-Michelin star places), Cameron's service was as good, if not better, than the service we've received there. What an asset to the FS Vail!

Equally as amazing were the two chefs who helped me surprise my husband with a custom four-course dinner replicating our wedding meal from last year! Justin and Rachele went above and beyond, securing the necessary ingredients to prepare these courses for us - and they were delicious. They asked for pictures to replicate plating and even made us a miniature cake complete with the same decorative pattern and our cake topper! After the meal they came out to greet us and wish us a happy anniversary, and were kind enough to take us back into the kitchen for a quick private tour - they were truly accommodating of all my requests and made it so that our first anniversary meal was as memorable as our wedding. I cannot thank them enough!

And lastly - most guests will never have the chance to interact or interface with Mallory in the catering department, but she was my point-of-contact when I hatched this anniversary dinner idea, and she truly went above and beyond as well. Before she had even contacted me to let me know they'd be happy to help, she had already contacted the Four Seasons Seattle (where my husband and I got married) to get the menu and recipes from our wedding and had provided those to Flame's chef. She was great about adding a few decorative items I provided to our table and gave me her contact information so that I could reach her at any time. When I called her on a second's notice to let her know I was up in the lobby with some items, she wasted no time in coming out to meet me, dropping whatever she was doing at the time. She was incredible.

Of course, the other staff were great as well - Lauren (concierge), Sunny (reception), and Chantal (reception) were all wonderful every time I called or appeared in person with a question.

Overall, this was a most magical and memorable weekend and one that my husband and I will treasure for the rest of our lives. Yes, the facility was beautiful and the rooms were spacious and clean, but that isn't what made the Four Seasons Vail stand out in our mind - it was the fact that every staff member we encountered genuinely seemed to want to go above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our stay -- some going so far above and beyond that we're still raving about what an incredible anniversary dinner experience we had, several days after the fact!

Any hotel can have a comfy bed and nice toiletries, but only one hotel in Vail has the likes of Matt, Cameron, Justin, Rachele, and Mallory - and that's why my husband and I will unquestionably return to the Four Seasons Vail the next time we're lucky enough to visit the Rockies.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly530
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with important feedback and review our Resort! I am pleased to hear you chose us as the destination for your anniversary.

I will definitely recognize the helpful staff members you mention, as we strive to exceed expectations everyday. The extra touches--from upgrading your room to a special anniversary dinner to hiking tips--is what we love to do. Justin and Rachelle on our culinary team will also enjoy hearing your compliments.

Thanks again, and we do hope you might choose us for your next anniversary!

Director of Public Relations
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

lobby quest rooms are all spacious and beaitiful. staf is young and some what inexperienced. the pool staff are college students doing there internships at the pool. Not one seasoned staff memebrt in charge- rather disappointing. had a large business meeeting at the hotel with 137 kids- no room at pool- crowed noisy and very few lounges availible. next time hotel should let guests know before they book . Conceige service was wonderfu. Great location in walking distance to town.

Room Tip: make sure you check room out first before taking luggage up. requested a moutain view and first roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed on the family package and got 2 rooms at reasonable rate and a credit for activities. Family did white water rafting and i played 2 rounds at red sky golf courses for $340 arranged by FS. Hotel was hard to find and not at address detailed, they are not allowed to put up many signs. Rooms were large and beautiful , used fireplace but we did not use the pool as it was cool and does not get much sun. Dani, in concierge, made our trip with restaurant guidance to campo de fiori. You are in a great location in vail. Catch the gondola to top of vail after 4 pm and get cheap rate and credit for trampoline and disc golf. Lionshead looks great as well. Breakfast at flames was delightful. Adventure park in glenwood springs was fun for families as well

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for taking advantage of our Family Adventure Package! It sounds as if you really enjoyed many activities in the Vail area--from golf to rafting to the gondola. I am glad you used our helpful and knowledgeable concierge team!

Please visit again soon.

Director of Public Relations
kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

My daughter and I went on a girls trip to Vail and staying here was the highlight of our trip! The valet staff, and pool staff were excellent! We also ate breakfast at the Flame which was delicious! I cannot say enough about how great our male server was. I wish I would've caught his name, but he was so friendly and attentive it made for a great start to our day! I did make a request for my "welcome" drink since we had gotten in so late the night before and the receptionist took a while looking at the computer after asking my name to be sure it was in my package I assume. Anyway, she seemed a little put off as she directed me to the bar and said she would phone over there to let them know but it never panned out and I had them take it off my final bill. All and all you can tell by how friendly the staff is that it is indeed a Four Seasons!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Thank you for choosing our Resort as your girls trip destination! Thank you for your feedback. We continue to improve with comments like these. I am glad to hear you had a fun trip overall and please visit us again soon.

Jim Guttau
Director of Public Relations.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Stay with the brand frequently and still trying to figure this place out. Observations are as follows: probably late to the game to find a site in Vail. The hotel is jammed on the site and while close to downtown the grounds are very limited.

The hotel itself is very dark and has more of a corporate feel to it than a lodge. My room was very large but very sparsely furnished. A chair and a corner desk along with a bed. While the bathroom is large, the shower stall is not large. My room had a free standing tub while it went unused it appeared to be somewhat of a challenge to enter and exit the fixture. Was disappointed in how sparsely the entire room was furnished.

We were there for corporate meetings. Thought the food was okay but not exceptional. Service as you would expect was superb.

Totally confused on the layout even though I was on the main floor (level 5). That was an adjustment. If I was going back for the summer I would go up to Avon and stay at the Ritz. A resort with so much more character.

Just a very perplexing hotel without an identity.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vail
0.8 km away
Manor Vail Lodge
#5 of 31 in Vail
14.1 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK