“Excellent Four Seasons Experience”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Vail
New York, NY
“Excellent Four Seasons Experience”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at the Four Seasons Resort Vail in March. The hotel was beautiful! The service was exceptional. Anytime we needed something it was delivered within minutes. The ski concierge was excellent. It was so nice not to have to carry equipment and have everything stored and dried for the next day. When we were finished the first day, the ski concierge was waiting at the base of the mountain with a ski rack so we did not even have to drop off our equipment. The room was great - we especially enjoyed the fireplace. The humidifier was helpful - I was going to request one when we arrived but they already had it in our room. We appreciated the large bathroom with dual sinks. The outside pool/hot tub area was immaculate. The heated towels were a welcome touch after getting out of the hot tub into the cool air. We had an excellent experience and we hope to return!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tyny77
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort in the future!
Kind Regards,
Dana Berry
PR Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I am not a ski resort town type of person, being from PA. So part of my experience on this trip was Vail in general. However, the Four Seasons could not have met my expectations any better. The service was FS all the way, the hotel was quaint and yet had all the amenities you could expect. Large rooms (who doesn't love a fireplace in their room??), beautiful spa, pool and hot tubs outside, and a ski concierge. The way they work the skiing here is really nice - they take everything for you to the mountain and have a nice lounge and place for all of your gear there. They really make things so easy. The food here was amazing, and the Fireside Lounge was our favorite place to hang out at nighttime!

I actually cannot wait to go back in the summer, when I hear there are so many things to do that it can be better than winter!

One suggestion - leave 3 hours to get to the Denver airport from Vail - we got stuck in snow on the way and it took us the full three hours.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the mountains!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelly G
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us! We are thrilled to hear your comments and appreciate you taking the time to share them with others. We'd love to welcome you back for summer! We have some great packages including golf with Red Sky Golf Club. In summer, our Ski Concierge transforms into an Adventure Concierge, and we can arrange any outdoor activity a guest would like, from hiking, to horseback riding, mountain biking, rafting and more. Can't wait to welcome you back! Thanks again,
Dana Berry
PR Director
Monclova, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Could not have had a better time. The facilities, service, and people were top notch. Every detail was accounted for and everything at the facility is first rate. The location could not be better. Only negative was that the refrigerator in the room did not get cold enough (nothing the ice machine could not take care of). Would go back here in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brett B
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Hi,
Thanks so much for sharing your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you had a nice stay with us. We'll be sure to share your comment about the refrigerator. Thanks again. We hope to see you soon!

Best Regards,
Jim Guttau
Director of Public Relations
Fairfield CT
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Four Seasons Hotels are my favorite group of hotels, and so I was disappointed to find that the Vail property was a mixed bag in my opinion. I read many of the reviews about the hotel before coming here, and find many of them to be accurate. Since I have stayed at many Four Seasons , I had to think about what is lacking at the Vail location and it’s hard to pinpoint. I believe it is something to do with a lack of personality, the hotel is big and corporate as many have stated, much more so than I anticipated even after reading the reviews. You could as well be in business hotel in Denver or any big city, not at one of the best skiing locations in North America. The hotel needs some whimsy, some personality, some touches that make you feel something about the property. One of the other things is that most of the staff are very young, while this in itself is not a problem, some of them just don’t have the gravitas to pull off their positions. ( One standout person that does have it in spades is Nicolas the sommelier – please learn from him! ) I also thought about my stays in NY, Toronto, or LA and each and every time I’ve stayed there, the staff makes you feel special, and while everyone is trying very hard, something is lacking here.

Here’s the low down:

Largish clean rooms, with very nice bathrooms. Great housekeeping ( if you need something, just request it and they are there – Orlando was very helpful). I loved the foot warmer that smelt of cloves they put in your bed at turn down service ( more touches like this please ) and thought the humidifier was a nice addition.

Ski concierge was very good after initial downer of major attitude from 2 of the guys in the equipment rental area.
The rest of the people working in the Ski Concierge were great, from the cute ladies working in the lockers, to the guys helping with skis after the day on the mountain. Drew in the rental department was also very helpful. The ski concierge is about a 10 minute walk thru town, which I didn’t mind at all as it’s a lovely stroll and you can wear your regular boots.

The spa was large and relaxing, and I had a few massages while I was there. The only therapist I can really recommend is Kristin, I had 2 massages from her and she was wonderful. The other 2 therapists I could not recommend as they were rushed and robotic-not really up to par. About the service again, I went to the Spa at least once a day, sometimes twice, and the same lady smiled at me expectantly each and every time, but with obviously no clue of remembering that I had been there for a treatment a few hours beforehand. It was actually became slightly funny, but not exactly what you expect from the 4 Seasons.

Flame restaurant was not good. The day we arrived, my Husband and I ordered lunch, most of which we returned. I’m not sure who came up with the idea to serve a lobster roll like that, but ugh. Hard pucks of brioche with 2 tablespoons of lobster salad inside – not good. We ate breakfast there almost everyday, and while the buffet was fine, the items we ordered off the menu were not. Eggs benedict which were lukewarm, bananas foster not so good. The lady making omelettes at the hot buffet needs some basic training on how to cook eggs.
The best part about breakfast is the hot chocolate. Yes, even at $16 a pop – it is most likely worth it. The best hot chocolate ever. Also, James who waited on us a few mornings was lovely.

The general feeling I left with is, I will investigate further next time I visit Vail. I feel for the price tag that there probably are better options available.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and one that face the mountain
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sinclair36
usa
Reviewed 27 March 2012

we've been to var four seasons and such hotels over many years and my review is not one based upon snobbery or undue expectations but on what one would reasonably expect a hotel such as this. none of what i post will be biased by one individual or a personal favor to anyone at the hotel.

the property and locale are excellent and their services as described online are exactly as described- in particular the ski concierge and transport services work smoothly and make life easy for everyone from the beginner to the expert. the decor, the outside, the front desk and concierge were excellent and reliably so. the pool was great and such a novelty and fun when we stayed in january. (by the way we travelled with a 2 and 3 year old and the hotel was very accomodating and kid friendly).

the bad- for better or for worse, the hotel has an agreement (i don't know if it is for tax purposes, colorado law, or whatever) to hire disabled staff. the only place i saw these was with the housekeeping dept. some had a problem understanding what we said and with our requests. one evening they walked in sans knocking- and DESPITE the do not disturb sign on the door- while my wife was naked and changing her clothes. another day they basically only made the bed and did not replenish the coffee or vacuum. when we came in the nespresso machine was broken and they did not bother to check on it prior to arrival. on another occassion the lady appeared to be paralyzed and only had the use of one arm and did not look very capable- she took an hour to clean the room. NOTE: i state the facts. my personal opinion is that people have a right to work but i think that the choice of hire for such a hotels does not equate to the level of service we expect. this is nothing personal against the disabled (who i still tipped).

highlights- the valet guys were very good. not pushy on tips. humble and most reliable and friendly. (vs the valets in the miami location who seem to hover around you like birds of prey for a couple of pennies)- i think this is becasue vail runs its own valet service rather than co-op arrrangement with 3rd party company.

overall i recommend the hotel highly. mention that it is your lodging and people in vail village take extra good care of you. (mind the sonnentag hotel area- there seems to be a rivalry with four seasons and the swiss chalet restaurant that is next to it exemplified this with the defensive posture the waiter took when he found out we were staying at the four- lol)

PS- prices seem to be climbing and i think they'd better watch it because they could price the hotel out of logic. if your budget is limited in this price range 2013 may be out of the question for you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank colette_m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vail
0.1 km away
1.0 km away
Manor Vail Lodge
Manor Vail Lodge
#5 of 30 in Vail

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK