“If you cannot find any where esle!”

Rico Hotel Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rico
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel, it sounded like it would be a really interesting place. The food at the Argentine Grill was good, but the service was lacking for sure.

The hotel was terrible, the rooms are very small, smaller then a room in a camper! The bathroom door could not open with out hitting the bed. The person that runs the hotel is very disorganized and not very friendly at all. If you are a light sleeper you do not want to be at this hotel, you can hear everything that is going on in the entire hotel, dogs barking, people laughing, babies crying... the restaurant. The breakfast was the same every single day and nothing special. You will not eat or get coffee before 8:00 so if you are on a schedule you will have to miss it. There is a coffee shop with in walking distance that is very good and open @ 6:30. I would go there and did!

I would skip this place and pay a little more and go to Delores or Telluride.

Room Tip: Get the most expensive room the cheap ones are very small.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank MaxRicMyner
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

Horrible service...we had to wander the hotel and go in to the restaurant to find someone to check us in. We had booked the room online, but had to pay extra for 2 children, even though it was not stated before, and we were using the same area, no cots, etc. Heard everyone that wandered in late from inside and outside. It was definitely NOT worth the money we spent on the room. The owner was the crabbiest, surliest, most unfriendly man I have ever come across in that kind of business. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Luv2Trvl2365
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Note: The electricity had been out earlier in the day which may have affected some of the things below and we didn't have a prior reservation.
We saw this along the road after a long drive and got the last room. It was definitely cozy, like being on a cruise ship (not much larger than the queen bed in the room). You couldn't open the bathroom door all the way because it hits the bed.
The hotel has retained the historic look, breakfast is great, but our room had what appeared to be doggie kibble on the floor by the bed, the heater didn't seem to kick on (though under the covers, we were warm enough), used soap was in the shower, and there was hair on the light switch. Be aware, the walls are paper thin. We could hear every conversation in the lobby and the gentleman snoring next door.
It has a ski lodge/dorm feel. The food is definitely worth the trip. Based on the smells in the hallway, we wished we had arrived in time for dinner. Hate to say anything negative since we were grateful for a room, just expected more based on the reviews on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank G_K09
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The best hotel in Rico . . . Of course it is the ONLY hotel in Rico. My room was tiny- barely large enough for the queen size bed. I'm not really hard to please (I frequent Motel 6's)- but this room was not worth the $80 I paid for it. The bathroom looked like it belonged in an RV- a small RV! Plus, there were no towels. I asked a staff member for one and he informed me that he did not work in housekeeping and the house keeper would be in an hour or two. Thankfully, I had a towel with me. Rooms come with a breakfast, but I was not able to take advantage because I had to get an early start and they didn't start serving until 8:00. The common area us really nice with a stone fireplace and nice comfy sofas- has a really mountain lodge feel to it. Unfortunately, the hotel is right on the highway and my room was up front, so I heard every vehicle that pulled through town. Just didn't feel like I got good service and value for my money.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Whitewaterman
Reviewed 13 June 2012 via mobile

On hotels.com the rate for a room with 2 queen beds was the same for 2 adults as it was for 2 adults plus 1 child. Priceline also had same rate for same room, but could not select number of people. Booked room through Priceline because of lower booking fees. When we arrived, surly owner demanded additional $25 for our 9 yr old daughter. I tried to explain what the online sites said but he just kept quoting the hotel policy which is disregarded if you book on hotels.com and not mentioned if you book on Priceline. He would not refund my money. He did however say he would knock it down to $20 if I paid in cash. I paid it because I had to. Hotel smelled funny, lots of late night noise, and bait and switch by owner. No thank you. This was the only hotel out of 8 that we stayed in on a Colorado-Utah road trip that was unfriendly and unfair.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank havegunnwilltravel

Been to Rico Hotel Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK