“Usually good food & fair service - BUT!”
Review of Speedtrap Bistro

Speedtrap Bistro
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Palmer Lake
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 12
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

This is my "go to" place when I want something different. In the past the food has been pretty good. But, today was very disappointing. Stopped for a light brunch. Ordered bagel & cream cheese. Assumed (as waitress didn't ask what kind of bagel or cream cheese) that I would get a plain bagel & plain cream cheese. What I got was undesirable. Since I've been around the world a bit - I tried it. Ugh, Mistake! It was baked with some undesirable spices & herbs. (There are many I like) This bagel was not eatible. Worse, what I got for trying was a foul taste that lingered past a handful of Altoids. Did anyone ask if I was enjoying my meal - NO. Did anyone ask why my wife & I left our meal on the table - NO. Like I said, usually a good place to eat, but not today.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Pros:
- small town feel.
- great food.
- good menu.
- good service.
- friendly servers.

Cons:
-none!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

A friend recommended this place when I said I was looking for a small home cooking place with some charm. At her suggestion we tried the eggs Benedict crepe and the bratwurst crepe with the speedtrap salad. They were both fresh and flavorful. Other diners were having burgers or sandwiches that also looked great. The owner, Spencer, served us and made sure we had everything we wanted. People were eating inside and on the patio in the mountain air. We will happily return.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 19 July 2018

Went for lunch today and ordered the "soup of the day." It took 45 minutes to get the soup, then had to wait for a spoon while the soup cooled. Never did get the "mini baguette" on the menu. When the bill arrived, the soup was $10 vs the $6.25 shown on the menu. When I questioned it I was told it was a "special soup of the day," which wasn't disclosed when I asked what the soup of the day was. The soup was delicious but the poor service and misleading menu really detracted. BTW, they weren't that busy to warrant such a wait.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I ate here for the first time a week ago and was so impressed with the food that I couldn't wait to come back. I returned today but was not nearly as impressed. I ordered the same item I had ordered last visit but got a different quiche because they were apparently out of the crust that they typically use. I was told this after I questioned the reason for the difference. My friend ordered the strawberry spinach salad and it came without strawberries (hello??). We asked why and the waitress told us that they were also out of strawberries. Who the hell serves a STRAWBERRY spinach salad without strawberries? At least tell the customer and let them decide if they still want the salad. I ordered ranch and she told me they were out if it until I questioned it and she went and checked and they were not, in fact, out of ranch. Get it together. The waitress was borderline rude and wasn't apologetic at all about all of the things they were out of. If this had been the first visit I would not be going back but I'll give it one more chance . Hopefully they can focus on keeping the needed items in stock and bettter customer service.

Date of visit: April 2018