“Best Local Southwestern Dining in Colorado”

La Rosa Southwestern Dining
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Palmer Lake
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy the authentic New Mexico and southwest dining choices offered by La Rosa Southwestern Dining, a rapidly rising star offering an exciting and truly memorable culinary experience in lovely Palmer Lake. Offerings include caldillo (green chili stew with white beans and fork-tender pork), pork adovado, cumin-rubbed lamb tacos, stacked enchiladas, mouth-watering tres leches cake.
Reviewed 2 February 2018

No more driving to Taos from Castle Rock to get good southwestern food! La Rosa in Palmer Lake is the best southwestern dining in Colorado. They have the unique taste of local grown chiles from New Mexico. They offer samples of their unique sauces for you to select your personal sauce to pair with your entree. Their chips are homemade. In addition, they have unique tequila flavors that make an ordinary margarita come alive! The service was exceptional. Their prices are very reasonable for the size of the portions they serve. They are only open for a few hours in the evening starting at 5:00 pm. This is a small, local dining establishment, so don't miss it when you drive through Palmer Lake!

Reviewed 21 January 2018

We'd heard quite a bit of buzz from friends about this place, so we and another couple decided to try it out on a Saturday at opening (5pm). The greeting was friendly and the chips and salsa are excellent. I liked that they brought out a sample of their three sauces to try before we picked our entrees, too. The margaritas are excellent and the choices very nice, too. The place is quaint and beautiful in a very Santa Fe style, too. The entrees, though, were disappointing... One ordered the ahi street tacos and found the tuna to be overcooked--he was expecting more of a seared ahi rare in the middle. My wife ordered shredded beef enchiladas with red and green sauce. They came out with mole sauce and had to be returned. They came back a few minutes later with the mole sauce clearly just scraped off and new red and green sauce poured over--and they'd cooled substantially. I ordered the lamb shank. It was tasty, BUT (and this is a huge but) it was cold in the middle. It was very clear to me that this lamb shank had been cooked earlier and then micro-waved and covered with sauce. It's pretty disconcerting to dig into a big lamb shank to find a cold center bone and meat. There was no sense that the shank had been cooked in the sauce--rather it had just been reheated with sauce poured over the top. That in itself is enough for me to cross this place off my list. It's one-and-done for La Rosa.

1  Thank SCalCanz
Reviewed 5 November 2017

I eat here often because it's great value, the food is excellent, and the service is attentive but not overwhelming. I can't eat peppers, so when I get the fajitas, the waitress always suggests sub'ing other veggies for the peppers. Little bit of a hike to PL, but worth it.

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We went for dinner and it wasn't crowded but it took quite a while to get seated once seated they may have forgotten us and then the owner came over and waited on our table. Once we got our food it was good. We would definitely go back I think maybe we just fell through the cracks a little bit. Overall it was a very positive experience and we had fun,

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

La Rosa is a great little local place. The service is great and accomplished by real people with real personalities. Cozy and well decorated. The food was fantastic. Fresh guacamole, warm chips and pico de gallo along with a well made simple margarita was a great start and hit the spot. I had the shrimp diablo as an entree. It was full of flavor, and seasoned perfectly; it was sensational. My wife had the cod dish and it was also exceptional. I don’t claim to understand what the difference between “authentic” Mexican, New Mexican or Colorado Mexican food is and don’t care. I do know this is good, fresh food. We did not have room for desert. This place is a keeper.