“What ski areas used to be.”

Wolf Creek Ski Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: This little-known ski resort boasts the highest snowfall totals in all of Colorado.
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Perhaps I am a little nostalgic, but I will have to say that Wolf Creek reminded me of how some ski areas (Arapahoe Basin, Mary Jane and Winterpark etc) used to be: drive up, park and unload then hit the slope. No need for walking hundreds of yards up and down stairs carrying equipment as you wind your way through the retail arena and high-end condos for the billionaires. This is straight forward skiing, boarding, enjoy a beer/soft drink at the end of the day, kind of area. The lift ticket prices are very affordable as are the ski rentals. Friendly staff and great skiing with locals and visitors. We skied the last week it was officially open, so the snow was turning, but we still had a great time. I didn't bother with the bowls given the snow conditions, however can't wait to return next winter for powder skiing.

1  Thank Jagz_Fan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Best snow in Colorado and that is saying something. Great family area, not huge and crowded like Summit. Moderate size ski area with a good variety of trails. Not particularly well marked. Usually little or no lift lines but we don't go at Christmas or spring break. No lodging at the ski area. Stay in Pagosa. The ski equipment staff is the friendliest and most helpful I have ever encountered. We love this place. Very reasonable lift prices. again not like Summit. Last time we were there people were traveling from Breck and Copper to ski because the snow was so good.

2  Thank milburn289
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I live in Denver, but once I found this place I bought a house nearby and have had a season pass for the last 7 yrs. Nuff said? A powder day here lasts all day, where as I70 powder days involve elbowing for the flakes until they turn into bumps by 10am. Short vertical and numerous flat to slightly uphill runouts prevent this place from being perfect. The resort appears to generate income from out-of-staters who stay on the frontside or in the lodge. Better skiers head to the back chair, where there are no real groomed runs but instead lots of powder and hike-to terrain that'll stay fresh for weeks after a dump. I've heading to the back chair at 930am a few times (about an hour after opening), and found that I was the first and only skier there....so they fired up the chair. Yeah, its like that. Awesome.

2  Thank Dan_OCallahan
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We recently spent 4 days at Wolf Creek. It was late in the season but we were blessed with a storm that brought 6" of fresh powder. The resort is primarily for intermediate to advanced skiing. It has some of the most inexpensive skiing in CO. That is probably because it is difficult to get to. A typical flight will be to ABQ and then require a 4 hour drive to Pagosa Springs. Enjoy the hot springs at the end of the day while you are there.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

This place is worth the drive and then some. The resort if well staffed and the visitors are of all ages. Makes for a great family vacation place as well as a couple's getaway.