“Best Tour in the Area - make sure you get the right company”

San Juan Scenic Jeep Tours
Ranked #5 of 10 Tours in Ouray
Reviewed 7 October 2011

It seems like it would be easy to confuse companies in Ouray. Make sure you go with SAn Juan Scenic Tours which checks in at the Historic Western Hotel. There are 2 Jeep Tours side by side - SJSJT is the one further from the main street and closer to the river. http://www.sanjuanjeeptours.com/contactus.html

I had a private photography tour. Gregg knows the area and his business. These guys have the best prices and are very flexible.Gregg's expertise was invaluable.

1  Thank PittsburghPhotog
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

Best scenery you will see in this area. We did the full day trip over Engineer and Cinnamon Passes. It was breathtaking beauty! Dress warm and in layers. San Juan takes great care of you and Bill is the best driver. Would definitely ask for him again. He knows those roads inside and out. Would definitely recommend this if you're in the area.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We did a half-day, morning trip up Red Mountain 3 with Keith. I had wanted to do one of the more well known routes up Imogene or Yankee Boy Basin, but he suggested this route to avoid the hordes. It was an excellent suggestion as the views were jaw dropping and we had the entire area to ourselves. We were riding with our 7 and 9 year-olds, and another family with a 7 and 5 year-old and they had a blast. Keith was very knowledgeable of the area and had knew every flower we saw by name. He even lead the kids in a round of singing in beautiful meadow, great for family photo ops!

1  Thank MtnHigh5280
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We took an all-day tour that included a trip over Black Bear Pass, lunch in Telluride, and a ride back over Imogene Pass. The day was sunny and the flowers were in bloom. Stunning. We had a fabulous time and I recommend San Juan Tours but a few "head ups:”
1) Clothes: We were told to dress in layers so I wore a shirt, sweater, and sweatshirt. I almost froze even with the blanket on my lap. Take a wool hat and coat and wear long pants and close- toe shoes. Others did (men – in case you think I’m a weenie woman) and they were comfortable.
2) Roads: The roads can be very harrowing - on the Telluride side especially - very steep and narrow with drop offs of hundreds of feet; vehicles will come the other way and end up having to go vertical on the rock face; I felt completely safe (our driver was excellent) but just be prepared.
3) Information: Our driver did not provide any narrative beyond the very basics; I would have liked to have heard more about the history and natural environment. He responded to questions and certainly had the knowledge. I overheard drivers for other tours providing giving such speils and was envious. And when the driver did speak, no one but the people in the seat behind him could hear so one of us had to then relay what he said to the others in the back seats.
4) Condition of the jeep: Our jeep stalled out once and almost did several other times; We had to limp up to a stream and sit for 20 min while the engine cooled and people poured water on the radiator. Several people had questioned why it was leaking water earlier in the trip.
My final issue was that after we signed up for the tour and got ready to pay, the cost quoted was $10-15 more per person than the full day trip was listed. We were told it was a special trip but I still felt “had.”
Despite all this, we had a great time. The beauty of the passes made up for the issues with the tour. It was the highlight of our trip to CO.

5  Thank NCTravelingGirl
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Our trip up the rocky, windy road was a bit harrowing, but the views along the way and from the top of Imogene Pass were well worth it. The company has a variety of routes available. We took the 1/2 day trip and found it to be the perfect length. Tip: We weren't very well prepared for the trip. Even in the summer, at 13,000 feet, the weather is chilly and can be windy. The company will provide you blankets and ponchos (in the event of rain), but it would be better to bring your own warm/rain layers. Enjoy!

1  Thank ambiggers