“beyond belief”

Majestic Dude Ranch
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Mancos
More attraction details
Owner description: A family-owned and oriented guest ranch nestled high in the pristine wilderness of the San Juan Mountains and just 35 minutes from Durango, CO. Since 1956, Lake Mancos Ranch (now re-named the Majestic Dude Ranch) has been offering our guests a home away from home in the Colorado mountains 35 miles west of Durango. A week-long, all-inclusive dude ranch vacation provides families with a lifetime of memories, whether that means long rides on a mountain trail, guided mountain bike tours, hikes in the neighboring national forest, catching a rainbow trout along the banks of a cool stream, lake or river, or just relaxing by the fire with friends.
Reviewed 9 August 2016

My granddaughter wanted to spend time with horses and not just for a day or two.I came across majestic dude ranch and boy am I glad I did!It was out of this world from the staff(always willing to do whatever to make you comfortable and happy to the activities they provided at no extra cost. Our accommodation was great, very clean and tidy with a selection of free snacks (that were replenished daily)... the views from the cabin were great with masses of wildlife coming up close (Humming Birds, Mule Deer etc). The week we stayed there were a lot of guests, mostly families and everyone (particularly the children) really got on well... nothing too forced but lots of encouragement for joint activities (team challenges, table tennis championship, long trail rides). Daily activities were also great with opportunities to fish, ride, bike, shoot etc the quality of kit for all these activities was great... really good mountain bikes, fly rods, lots of horseback rides and even a petting zoo.the miniature horses were a big hit with the kids.They would lead them around for hours and even ride bareback.. Again the staff were fantastic with nothing ever being too much trouble and everyone always trying to go out of their way to help.There was plenty of food breakfast{lots of berries}a wide choice hot and cold,lunch and dinner{prime rib,trout etc. corn dogs,and if you didn't like something they would go out of their way to fix something you did like. (and great free snacks and drinks all day - brilliant for the kids)There was a hot tub perfect for after ride aches and pains and a pool {outdoors of course}I was injured and couldn't do much participating in the activities but I enjoyed watching and the staff helped in anyway they could(including driving in to town for motrin my granddaughter is ready to move the entire family there.The kids have a lot of freedom(there are counselors and other staff around to keep them safe}I didn't believe it when they said-YOU COME IN AS INDIVIDUAL FAMILIES AND LEAVE AS ONE HUGH FAMILY.This was by far the best vacation I have ever had and well worth the money and if we ever get the choice to do it again we will.The only thing I would change is to fly in instead of driving.Minnesota flat driving doesn't compare to Colorado mountain driving

robert b, Owner at Majestic Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2016

So special of you to give us the opportunity to share in such a special time with you and your granddaughter. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - we really do consider you and all of our guests family. Come back again soon - we love taking care of repeat guests...

All reviews
"camp counselors"
"kitchen staff"
"incredible staff"
in 2 reviews
"to mesa verde national park"
"fun riding"
"atv rides"
"family reunion"
"clay pigeons"
"dining hall"

Reviewed 4 August 2016

Hard to know where to start... we booked for a family of 5 (kids 15,13,11) as part of a road trip round the Mid West.
We arrived early and were greeted by the owner who was charming and helpful. Our accommodation was great, very clean and tidy with a selection of free snacks (that were replenished daily)... the views from the cabin were great with masses of wildlife coming up close (Humming Birds, Mule Deer etc).
The week we stayed there were a total of 44 guests, mostly families and everyone (particularly the children) really got on well... nothing too forced but lots of encouragement for joint activities (team challenges, table tennis championship, long trail rides).
Daily activities were also great with opportunities to fish, ride, bike, shoot etc the quality of kit for all these activities was great... really good mountain bikes, good quality fly rods and (not that I am any expert!) all the horses seemed extremely well schooled.
Last 2 things to mention - the staff were fantastic with nothing ever being too much trouble and everyone always trying to go out of their way to help. The other point to mention and the only slight negative was the food, plenty of it (and great free snacks and drinks all day - brilliant for the kids) but a few meals lacked finesse!
Unfortunately I doubt that we will have the opportunity to return any time soon BUT given the chance we would love to stay again.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review - we love having large families visit the ranch. We are working hard to improve the finesse of our menu and hope to have you back someday to wow you with our improvements.

Reviewed 17 July 2016

Many thanks to Robert and Jamie, the staff, the activities you provide, and the beautiful setting, our family of 14 had an absolutely incredible week at the Majestic Dude Ranch. We ranged in age from 7 to 73, and everyone filled their days and evenings with the many wholesome and very fun outdoor activities mentioned in the website! The cabins were exceptionally clean, comfortable, and some were brand new. The lodge was rustic and a perfect gathering place for all the guests, for meals and games. The staff was exceptionally helpful to any special needs that we had, and we thank all of you for being so attentive. As we were saying our goodbyes, our 7 year old announced that he will be back in 4 years when he is old enough to do all the activities. In a nutshell, our week together at the Ranch exceeded all expectations that we had prior to our arrival.

1  Thank kandt o
Reviewed 10 July 2016

Just returned from five days at the Majestic Ranch. Our group ranged in age from 4 to 70+... and there is literally something for everyone, if you enjoy outdoor activities. The staff is eager to please... they are friendly, accommodating, and genuinely want everyone to have a good time. The accommodations are somewhat rustic, but it's a ranch, not The Four Seasons. The cabins are clean and maintained. The days are filled with horseback riding, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, archery, shooting, river rafting, kayaking, and exploring the beautiful surrounding area. The evenings are fun, too -- s'mores, karaoke, family/group competitions, outdoor movies, or just relaxing and looking at the millions stars. The ONLY area for improvement is the food... breakfast was great, but lunch and dinner were hit or miss. Because there is only one main course option at these meals, if you don't like what's being served, you are somewhat out of luck. A couple of meals were wonderful, but the others were so-so. That said, I would recommend the Majestic... it was a wonderful bonding experience for our family, and we made some new friends as well.

1  Thank Alicia W
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2016

Majestic is a very special place and has become a special, lifelong memory for my boys and me. We are already planning a return trip for next year during the same week in June. I will also continue to tell all my friends about it, and with luck we will be able to bring along another family or two when we come back.
Here are some of the more important planning details for people considering a vacation here:

ACTIVITIES -- So many that trying to do them all sort of kicked my butt! There are a LOT of activities. For full disclosure, I am not personally into a lot of sports or games, and my main motivation for coming to Majestic or any dude ranch was to make my two little boys happy. However, Majestic (and Robert) won me over, and I ended up doing a lot of activities that I didn't think I myself would want to do. They were a blast! We tried a little bit of everything -- there's horseback riding (amazing), mountain biking (some of the top trails in the country, I have read), whitewater rafting, kayaking, rod fishing and fly fishing, archery, BB guns for the kids (with a makeshift deer blind from which to shoot) and clay pigeon shooting for the adults, baseball field and equipment (pitching machines, batting cages), paintball and laser tag in a "ghost town," ATV rides, petting zoo, riding/rodeo arena, and tons of on-property facilities and games such as in-ground trampoline, basketball hoop, ping pong, foosball, billiards, darts, horse shoes, board games, etc. I'm certain I'm leaving things out. There are also other scheduled activities like learning to rope and line-dance, doing various team challenges/tournaments, dodge ball, etc. There are more activities available than time/energy to do them all! They make it so fun that you're lured into doing things that might even be out of your comfort zone.

HORSES - I have to single this out because it is a dude ranch, after all. I loved the riding, and the wrangler staff under Mallory (shout outs to John, Taylor, Caleb, and Caitlyn) was superb. The horses are extremely well trained, and the staff gives a lot of thought to which guest will be paired to which horses. You will usually get the same horse or horses (depending on the horses' ability to do the longer trails), and that really helps with comfort level. I have been to one other very well-run dude ranch in the past, and I found the thoughtfulness and consideration to guests' riding abilities to be superior at Majestic. The trails have a nice variety and range of skill levels. My 6 year old son, who has never sat on a horse before, got a nice arena lesson on a docile horse to get the basics, and then was allowed to do easy trails, and I was very comfortable because they stationed wranglers right behind him at all times to make sure he was okay. As a beginner-intermediate adult, I was very happy with my riding options and couldn't get enough of them. (I came to love my horse, Ranger!)

KIDS PROGRAM - I would say that Majestic during its regular week sessions is more heavily on the family side, although some of the adult groups there had a great time as long as they were into the physical sporting activities. The kid counselors are AMAZING. I didn't think I would be leaving my kids with them very often, but my two sons wanted to go do the kids' program activities! Special thanks to Stephanie, the counselor lead, and her crew, especially Steven and Luke. The counselor staff was so good that if they saw my kids and me doing things on our own around the ranch, they would actually come over and ask the kids if they were interested in joining one of their excursions. Who ever heard of babysitting counselors that invited MORE kids and more work? The Majestic counselors did that, routinely. They take the kids out to play laser tag, to make tie-dye shirts, to go kayaking and fishing, etc. so that parents can go do their own activities like the harder trail rides. The kids' program exceeded my expectations.

LODGINGS - We had a 2 bedroom cabin with one comfortable bed and one room with bunk beds. I think it is one of the smaller cabins (duplex unit), but it was so roomy and comfortable. Also had a very big living room with 2 sofas, plus bathroom. All the cabins and rooms are very accessible to the dining lodge and central activities, so that it was easy to run back to change or grab a new water bottle before heading off to another meal or activity.

FOOD - Filling and satisfying. I would not describe it as gourmet, but it's good, especially the meals that were made to order, like breakfasts (omelettes, pancakes, etc), steaks, prime rib one night, a pasta night with your choice of sauces, etc. There is always a very tasty fresh salad to start the meal. I also saw them be very accommodating of vegetarian diets. Thanks to Marie (table service) and Dominic (the chef) for being all-around wonderful.

STAFF - I have to say that I have no idea how Majestic is able to hire such universally great people and how they motivate everyone to be so cheerful ALL the time. Everyone was helpful all of the time. It's a tremendous accomplishment.

My recommendation is to go for the full week. While there are Sunday-Wednesday and Wednesday-Saturday options, it felt like people were sad to leave early on Wednesday, or were joining into a fully integrated social group when they arrived "late" on Wednesday.

Our family is definitely coming back to Majestic!

1  Thank biblio123

Been to Majestic Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK