All reviewsshakshukabrowniesri lankasound of the wavesthe ownerstayed for weeksa great staytuk tukoff seasonsurfing lessonsnational parkvibecabanabeachsafarihammockshappiness
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

We Have been first week of March in arugambay.After look around all the accommodation end up with Folly Arugambay.what a days it’s golden days we have spend there. The hotel looking brand new after they have done refurbished.The room was with the sea view,definitely it will fresh up the mind with the cup of Srilankan traditional Tea.Muba and Casim did the very best service. We have been treated like one of their family member and i have no words to express our feelings It’s fabulous.The Beach just next to ur eye sight u can have great feelings.The Food specially Saksukka and Koththu parata Delicious.We haven’t had any idea but end up with the wonderful sweet memories. Been to wild safari and Crocodile park.Siraj U made my life to learn very new things which is surfing, i enjoyed lot. Definitely I’ll come back to arigambay for surfing. Wow what a experience. It’s of course GOLDEN DAYS. I love it. Guys Thank you very much

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank THARMALOSINY T
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Having spent months backpacking myself, I have stayed in plenty of places that are not clean but have a good bar. However I can no longer accept dirty rooms.

As it’s on the beach, I wouldn’t complain of sand in the room and bathroom. But the staff didn’t even try to make it clean, bins not emptied on arrival. Wrappers left on bathroom sink etc, not ideal.

The owner was nice until we realised that his taxi service was extortionate compared to getting one on the street, and was then extremely aggressive. The taxi driver made my girlfriend uncomfortable as we waited for our taxi which says it all.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas A
Reviewed 2 March 2018

I am very sorry to say that our four nights at The Folly were disappointing. More than six months prior to our stay we had booked a cabana and a folly. But upon arrival Muba put us in a room for three persons due to maintenance work of all the follys and cabanas which were clearly in an unfinished condition.
Next day we slowly realized that the whole place was a construction site which resembled in no way the pictures on AirBnb or tripadvisor. Workers were walking in and out, the area was covered with different sorts of building materials and plenty of garbage was lying around. When telling Muba that we think about moving he begged us to stay for one more night and promised that he will look into different options for us. But he never did. Instead he pointed out, whenever we bumped into him occasionally, that he has to look after his fishing business and cannot run two things at the same time.
Next day I contacted the owner Riyas in the UK, as I felt Riyas should know. I got without asking (and wanting!) a 20% refund on our prepaid AirBnb deal. Shortly after, people suddenly started to work which has not happened on day 1, 2 and 3 where they were only walking in and out. They cleared some of the garbage and building material, but of course the whole place was still little attractive.
We also should not have followed Muba´s advice on trips in the area. He organised a jeep for animal watching that, when picking us up we refused to get into, as it had no windows to look out but bore more resemblance to a prison´s car. What a shame, a whole day lost! The lagoon safari next day was postponed from 2 pm to 2:30, then to 3:30. I also cannot understand his tip not to waste money going to Kurmana National Park, we liked it there a lot.
What worked out very well was the surfing lesson with Aswer. Apart from being an excellent teacher he also took us around with his Tuktuk to Panama for some wildlife experience, organised the Kurmana trip on which he also joined us, plus gave us excellent advice on where to eat. A very cheerful and helpful person – thank you, Aswer!
So far, I have spent four weeks in beautiful Sri Lanka in thirteen different accomodations – The Folly was the only disappointment. I feel, we should have been told in advance that maintenance is not finished and maybe come up with some recommendations on where to stay instead. In off-season February there are plenty of options.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sonja_AT_1965
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I have no idea how the previous reviews came off, but this is the worst accommodation we had during our Sri Lanka trip. The room and the place at all is dirty and no one cares about it. The bathroom is disgusting. It was not possible to stay more than 30sec in it due to the bad smell. No idea, when the bathroom was cleaned the last time. There are so many nice well-cared accommodations around. I wouldn't recommend this place at all.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2017

A combination of thoughtful, friendly service, pristine location and relaxed vibe make this place the highlight of AB. Came last year for a few days, and just had to come back the next year and stayed ten... the beach huts (follies) are perfect for a breezy place to hang out, but they have great double rooms if needs be as well. Communal table where you can get anything you want from Muba and his crew at any time make for a really community-like feel. The best.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo