“Not What I Expected”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Girona, Spain
“Not What I Expected”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We travel by car a great deal and usually stay at Holiday Inn's when we are on the road. We usually get a very clean and comfortable room for a great price, so I was expecting the same at this Holiday Inn Express.
My husband booked us a larger suite since we were traveling with our child. Check-in was perfectly fine and we went upstairs to our suite. It was very late, we were exhausted, and I just wanted to get our son to sleep as soon as possible. I know this is a 3-star property, but I have always found this chain's rooms to be exceptionally clean. We walked in and there was something stuck on the carpet. I think it was a granola bar, so I just picked it up and got my son ready for bed. He is 2-years-old and we had a long travel day, so I was grateful when he fell asleep. I wanted to take a shower and then go to sleep myself. The shower did not look clean at all. There was shampoo (I think?) dripping down the tub. I rinsed it off, but I was a bit perturbed, as this was the second thing I had found. Then I noticed the pen on the wall of the bathroom. Someone had written their name all over the walls with a blue pen. Yikes. I thought about moving rooms, but our son was asleep and I was exhausted.
The bed was clean and comfortable, so I was going to go to sleep. I turned the heat off in the room and that is when I heard a very loud noise. There was a large truck parked beneath our window with its generator on. Would not have been a big deal, but then I realized it was so loud because the window was broken and would not close completely. Looking back I should have packed our things and moved rooms, but again, it was very late and I did not want to move my son and all of our stuff. I turned the fan on and this made the truck noise less noticeable. We reported our experience, but I realize we should have done it the night before.
I felt like the linens were the only thing that had been cleaned in the room, which is odd for this particular chain. Not sure if I would stay at this particular hotel again when there are so many in this area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CTS80
hixglenwoodgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glenwood Springs, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
We apologize for an uncomfortable stay. We definitely strive to make our guest comfortable as well as happy, and this is definitely an unfortunate incident to hear about. We hope when you come through Glenwood Springs next time you will choose to stay with us again, so we can somehow make this up to you. Thank you very much for your review and honesty.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hawaii
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I drove in about 5:30 pm no Res asked for a price and recieved $ 89.00 good price for the value. The hotl is about 25 yrs old but doed not show it and has everyting in perfect order.
The High speed access was excellent no problems at al

And the nicest part was the Young Man at the desk anwsered all my dumb tourist questions with glee.What a stand-out it todays workforce.
I would defintly stay here again

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
hixglenwoodgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glenwood Springs, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
“Nice Hotel”

We are very pleased you stayed with us; our staff strives to take care of guest. We enjoy answering all questions. Our hotel is fourteen years old. We look forward to your return visit.
Denver
Reviewed 17 December 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights @ the Glenwood Holiday Inn Express to celebrate out 9th wedding anniversary. We were given an upgraded room with a whirlpool tub and and extra area that had a couch and desk. The hotel staff were among the friendliest I have ever encountered. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. The only minor issue was that the beds were a little on the hard side and the pillows a little small. Everything was sparkling clean and very quiet. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
“Excellent Stay”

Congratulations!! We are so glad you chose to stay at our Hotel to celebrate. The room you were upgraded to is perfect for an anniversary. We appreciate your nice comments, and we also appreciate your comments about the beds and pillows. Suggestions are always welcomed and helpful. Hopefully we’ll see you for the 10th anniversary.
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 12 December 2011

After a disappointing check-in and immediate check-out from a nearby hotel, we were generously accomodated with a king suite and whirlpool tub, and at a savings! The hotel was a short driving distance from the Iron Mountain gondola and Glenwood Caverns. It was also nicely situated so close to the mountains--a beautiful perk!

• Stayed December 2011
“Very nice king suite”

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and the suite. We are glad the opportunity existed for us to solve your problem. We look forward to your return visit with us.
Aurora, CO
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed at the HIE in Glenwood Springs for one night after attending a wedding in nearby Carbondale. Typically, I'm the type of person who searches for the cheapest deals in hotel rooms, graciously looking past noise and filth just to save a couple of bucks. In fact, were it not for some friends also staying the hotel, I probably would have looked for a hotel in the 60-80 dollar range. However, the extra money I spent was well worth it as our experience was fabulous!

First, the hotel and room was clean. Really, really clean. The room was extremely spacious, everything worked, and it was super quiet. We had the breakfast in the morning--above average for a hot hotel breakfast. Be sure to try the crazy instant pancake machine that they've got. All of the staff that we encountered were very nice.

This hotel would be ideal if you're looking to ski Aspen without Aspen costs. The drive is about 35 minutes. Of course, Glenwood is cool too. The only drawback that I can think of about the hotel is that it's not a comfortable walking distance to the downtown area (south side of I-70 as other hotels might be. But if you're a walker, by all means, do it!

All in all, this experience might convince me to upgrade to Holiday Inns in my future travels...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
hixglenwoodgm, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Glenwood Springs, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
We appreciate the feedback given in this review and are always anxious to hear comments from our guests so we may continue to improve our product and services.