“Dripping with Charm”

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Durango
Arvada, Colorado
“Dripping with Charm”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Day 1 of our much anticipated road trip from Denver to Tucson, complete with our toddler and fuzzy-faced dog in our trusty Subaru wagon, brought us to the delightful and charming Rochester Hotel. We had no previous intention of staying in Durango, but while reading TripAdvisor reviews of the surrounding areas, the positive ratings of the historic Rochester Hotel were so inviting we decided to experience it for ourselves. Pet friendly rooms with convenient outside access, an incredibly friendly and helpful staff, a great location one block off the main strip and the most delicious, made-to-order (complimentary) breakfast I've experienced in any hotel, whether it was an economy or 5-Star property. I would stay here every time, no questions asked.

Room Tip: We loved our large room with outside access, if traveling with a pet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sulphur, Oklahoma
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed at the Rochester this past week and it was by far one of the worst hotel experiences I’ve had. I had a room on the lower floor and could hear every footstep from above, which I was awakened to at 5:30 am. There is not a safe place to load and unload your vehicle, I was told to use a parking spot across the street, which put me out in a traffic lane while trying to get my things. The staff at the desk was not able to check me in or out in a timely manner (new employees left alone/ training). Also, for a historic hotel listed on the National Register, I felt the interior lacked much of its historic features, and the furnishings looked like a mish-mash of IKEA and a garage sale. I would not recommend this hotel, and wish I had stayed somewhere else; the whole experience really put a damper on my trip :(

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelB4ucant
Rochesterstaff, Manager at The Leland House and Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
We are sorry the guest did not have a great stay. We appreciate the feedback and are working to correct any problems the guest described. If a potential guest has a question about this review please call the hotel and ask for a manager, we will make sure all questions are answered.
Delta, Colorado
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I love this little place in Durango. The rooms are bigger than you expect and the decor is so fun with all of the movie posters and history. It's very comfortable and the staff are beyond friendly, they are sincere!!
The breakfast is amazing with fresh ingredients and choices for any dietary needs.
I felt like I was walking in the same footsteps with some of the best of Colorado's history and movie talents.
Fun, really fun.

Room Tip: I was in a room right at the top of the stairs and it was quiet and easy to get to all of the other...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
komick, Manager at The Leland House and Rochester Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your review with Trip Advisor. We appreciate your visit and look forward to seeing you upon future visits. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I took my first trip to Durango to attend their film festival and one of the hotels on the list was the Rochester Hotel. After a LOT of hemming and hawing about which place might be able to 'deal with' me & my food issues, I finally settled on the Rochester Hotel. I cannot eat anything with wheat/gluten or dairy... oh, and I'm a vegetarian to boot! So I go in knowing I'm not easy & bring my necessities with me... gluten-free bread, rice milk, etc.

As it turns out, they HAD rice bread there, ready for me. After the initial discussion, every morning Caroline or Kelly saw me, they would say: "Tomorrow we're having french toast. We could do xyz to them to make them fit your needs. Would that work?" And they always made it work. So to start off, my main concern was addressed so wonderfully that I automatically loved this place. At one point I asked Caroline & Kelly if they owned the place (because it REALLY seemed like they did). Nope. They didn't. I was told the gentleman who was constantly milling around the breakfast area owned the hotel with his mother. When I eventually started chatting with this lovely woman named Diane, I learned that she was 'the mother.' She told me about all the love she put into renovating the hotel and (now here's the real review)... I thought the hotel had great character, and was clean & comfortable. The room I stayed in was quite large as well.

My experience here required this long a review. The hotel, in & of itself, was wonderful. Breakfast was AMAZING. And the reception people (who always smiled & said hello when you walked by) were extremely helpful (thanks especially to Chris!).

If I get back to Durango, this is the only place I'll want to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 25 March 2012

This hotel is full of old world charm. What a wonderful night at the Rochester. Close to downtown Durango and an amazing resteraunt across the street. Our room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was amazing even offering gluten free bread. The staff is friendly and inviting. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple