General Palmer Hotel
Best Western Durango Inn & Suites(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$ 102
US$ 87
Comfort Inn and Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$ 84
ComfortInn
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$ 167
US$ 147
Doubletree.com
Hampton Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$ 119
US$ 104
Hampton.com
Quality Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$ 129
QualityInn
Best Western Mountain Shadows(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$ 108
BestWestern.com
Strater Hotel(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$ 150
US$ 145
Orbitz.com
The Rochester Hotel and Leland House(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$ 274
US$ 139
US$ 125
US$ 108
US$ 105
TripAdvisor
All reviewslone spur cafetrain stationteddy bearsoriginal elevatorthe main hotelcd playercontinental breakfastpresidential suiteinterior roomvictorian decorhalf blockmain streetcookiescharming hotelnoise from the streetstained glasshistoric property
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Right next to all tourist activities and restaurants this a gem. Great Victorian style rooms and nice breakfast. It's a part if Durango and American railroad history.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 11 September 2011

The General Palmer is overrated. On one of our trips to Durango we opted to stay here instead of the Strater. Big mistake!

Our room was unacceptable. Looked like something from the '70's. Small and no ambience. The exterior and lobby is exceptional, but our room was not what we expected from an "historic" hotel. We'll stay at the Strater in October - our choice of room is already confirmed.

Most disappointing. Will never stay THERE again.

J.T.
Houston

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jtchapman
Reviewed 4 September 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel. We didn't have reservations and felt happy to find a room. We got room 209, which is on an interior wall.

I can only give this place, however, 3 stars instead of 4 based on what must be a philosophy driven by management to just get by as opposed to want the guests to want to come back. It seemed management wants to capitalize on a good location to get by, while the irony is, by stepping up the game just a little, I bet they'd have a lot more return customers...or maybe they feel they have enough already and don't care to try to improve their service.

My 3 stars would be 4 if this were a Comfort Inn or the like. However, this is a historic hotel with higher rates. Service should match the ambience and prices.

First the good things:
1) Great location with PARKING! Most everything is in walking distance from the hotel, and the parking lot is conveniently located just outside the entrance doors.
2) Quiet atmosphere. The decor and atmosphere was quiet, making for a nice low-key stay. There were nice lounging areas downstairs if you wanted to hang out. "Quiet" was the word that came to mind. That was perfect.
3) Quiet, clean, cool, nicely decorated room. There was an old time decoration, the room was clean, well lit, and comfortable. The A/C worked well. There was a Harley bike rally while we stayed in the hotel...and i didn't even hear one bike rumble, even though the streets were packed with bikes.

Now the areas that could use improvement:

1) The room had bright hall lights coming in through the stained glass in the window (?) above the door (not sure what the vent/window that opens above a door is called). It wasn't until you are trying to go to bed that you find you have the equivalent of a streetlight streaming into the room. There was no curtain or way to block it out. I called the front desk to request darkening the room/keeping external hall light out for sleeping. I asked if perhaps the hall lights dimmed during the night, but I was told no, there was nothing that could be done about that. One of the things I like about any hotel stay is how utterly dark a room could be. This felt like a neon sign shining in. I noticed some of the other hallway's lights were definitely dimmer than the 5-6 hall lights on our short hallway. Perhaps management could find a way to keep light like that from coming in so brightly into the room.
2) The notorious breakfast. I'd read reviews and wasn't sure what I'd get. Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I was dreading, however, it was not in line with what one would expect at a historic hotel. It wasn't even on par with a Hampton Inn style breakfast.
I went in at about 6:15 a.m. and the hot beverage station, while adorned with sterling silver beverage stations had tepid hot water. All the pastries were lukewarm and very store bought. There was not a single piece of fresh fruit. I went to get some orange juice and saw an empty juice jug that looked like it came from the convenience store thrown in the wastebasket below the juice station. Seriously, can staff not at least dispose of the all insta-food evidence someplace else? There was no one tending the breakfast room. Breakfast is your first impression of the day, and it felt like a very haphazardly thrown together offering. I personally would like to see better pastries, but the management could step it up by just doing things like having hot water, adding fresh fruit, and not throwing their non-fresh breakfast evidence in the small dining room's wastebasket to brag to all the guests, "We are proud of our lack of interest in your breakfast."
I read a lot about how the Strater Hotel breakfast was so much better...so i went over there to check it out. It was what you would expect for a historic hotel - steaming hot beverages, fresh fruit, quiche, what appeared to be fresher pastries, yogurt, hot soup, etc. There were also wait staff around (of course, Strater, has its own restaurant). It did look like it would be a better experience. My informal poll found people saing they liked their breakfast there (...and I tasted the quiche...it was tasty).
3) The antique elevator. On one hand, it's very quaint and appealing. That is, it's quaint until you are having to try to hold both doors open and get your bags in. It's not so fun then (maybe it is for staff to have a little light hearted entertainment). This isn't a deal breaker, but just a bit of a challenge with loaded hands.
4) Friendly but not helpful staff. When we checked in, the woman at the front was friendly and helpful. After that, we got consistently friend staff if we approached them, but none who were helpful or went out of their way to greet or make guests feel welcome. For instance, after I got back from the all-day Narrow Gauge train ride, I came into the hotel and 3 staff were talking at the front desk. No other customers were around. I smiled, but not a single one smiled or greeted. That is the "step up" type of stuff that makes you feel like you are staying in a special establishment. I also asked at the front desk if there were any scheduled Harley bike parades or other events that would close down any parts of the street , as we were planning to leave the next morning and didn't want to get caught in a parade, if possible. The young man smiled and said he "had no idea" of anything going on with that event (again, no other customers, and the phone was not ringing.) Fine, but no suggestions - really? There were a couple of other similar situations where I was very politely told, "Gee, I don't know." I noticed the 7 different front desk staff I saw all appeared to be 25 or younger. Maybe they work for lower rates as new entries, but management could teach them how to make a customer feel welcome.

All in all, if you don't care about the price and service level, you're fine here. I went away feeling like management was riding on location-location and not really as guest-oriented as it could be for the level of establishment it was.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mmhaustin
Reviewed 2 September 2011

This was our 3rd stay at the General Palmer and yet again it didn't disappoint! This time we stayed in the Palace Wing and had a 3 bedroom family suite which was wonderful. Enough room that we all had a bit of space in lovely surroundings, great toiletries and a great location. Would love to have the opportunity to come back again!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Our Corvette tour group stayed here two nights on a five-day tour and everyone really had a great time. This is a great location right in the middle of Durango near all the attractions. The parking lot is so close to the Durango & Silverton Railroad you can almost touch it as it puffs by. Cookies so fresh they were still warm with fresh coffee in the lobby. A great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends