New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Ramada Denver Downtown

Ramada Denver Downtown
Ranked #95 of 151 Hotels in Denver
UtmostCreativeMind
“Reasons why you stay in downtown!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2010

The reason why I chose this place is because my wife and I were to stay in the center of downtown Denver, arriving from Albuquerque, so that next day we could head out to Keystone Ski Resort, which was about less than two hours away. Also, we wanted to have a taste of Denver in the evening, which was a concert held 4 blocks away from the hotel.
First, understandably, after 6 1/2 hours of driving from Albuquerque, we felt that it was necessary to go for a walk, and with help of iPhone, we learned that there was a great park to walk on just 2 1/2 blocks away from the hotel. The park was called, funny name, the Cheeseman Park, where we saw a lot of joggers in spite of snowy weather. (You'll see the pictures.) It was a great walk.
Then, we went to a restaurant/bar named Irish Snug across the street. You can walk from the hotel in 2 minutes. Especially, it was snowy and we didn't feel like driving much, so it was a perfect place to go! The place was almost packed when we got there, but they had 'Happy Hour' going on drinks, which is a 2 for 1 deal. We could go back there later on if we wanted with a coupon that we were handed upon the first drink.
After the meal, we took some rest back at the hotel. And then we soon headed out again to check out the band. We were easily able to walk to the Fillmore Auditorium. Seriously, it is the smart way to get there - walking in downtown.
Now, the only major problem we had was the noise over night. Because a lot of tourists, including teenagers in groups, were staying at the hotel to head out for skiing next day, and obviously they can party all night and still can head out early in the morning next day, so it was quite noisy for us to have a good night sleep. On top of that, I think that some sensitive people would find the street noise quite annoying at night as well.
Overall, it is a good place to stay for a night or so, but it's not the best place if you are looking for any relaxation, spa, romance...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank UtmostCreativeMind
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
Ramsey, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2009

My husband and I took a weekend trip to Denver to do some sightseeing and catch a Bronco's game. We were looking for cheap accomodations. What we got was a reasonably priced room with excellent front desk service. The staff was very helpful and the free shuttle to and from the game at invesco field was a time and money saver for us. The hotel is a little on the "shabby" side but not run down by any means. Our room was clean and when we complained that our remote wasn't working one of the front desk staff had batteries at our door within 2 minutes. If we ever make it back to Denver we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hajecola
Saint George, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

I stayed at the Ramada Downtown Denver during the first weekend in November 2009. The rooms are clean with adequate unit amenities (tv, iron, hair dryer, ect.). During my stay, I found no "stains" or "tears" as previously mentioned by other reviews. Apart from appearing that the room was decorated by someone's grandmother, the units are in fairly good condition though it appears renovations maybe in order within the next few years. The front desk staff is friendly and courteous, and I checked-in without any problems. They staff also provide information on services and the "neighbourhood". But with all of this said, the hotel is located in a less-than-favourable location. The State Captiol building is an approx. 15-20 minute walk from the hotel but certainly not a pleasant walk. However, once your pass the Capitol building and move along to the 16th Street Mall, the sites and businesses become move favourable. This aspect of Denver would likely not be an issue for those from other major cities but may be a stressful experience for those from small towns; those not accustom to urban life. I will say that of all my travels, I found Denver's homeless population to be more apparent than that of New York, Boston, London or Paris. It is possible to walk to Coors Field or to the downtown core from the hotel, but I would recommend taking a cab. Parking is free at hotel. The hotel does offers shuttle service to Invesco Stadium and Coors Field, which in my opinion, would be the best feature of this property. If you're looking for something affordable without the fear of sleeping in filth, I would recommend this hotel but it is certain not for those heading to Denver for a honeymoon or romantic getaway.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank StandingRoom
Fort Collins
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

My teenager stayed here on November 13, 2009 as part of a class trip. His school made the reservation for their students. The bus left earlier than he anticipated and in the rush out the door, he left his wallet behind on the dresser. We called the hotel and was told the maid had turned it in. When we picked it up a week later - big surprise - his money was gone. When I called tone of the managers, she said she personally saw only $6 in it (not my son's $55 that should have been in it). But when we picked it up, not even $6 was there. So we were robbed twice. I called the main general manager and he was not helpful. He said it was my problem and told me to file a police report - it couldn't be one of his people. I asked "how did the $6 go missing that your manager persoanlly saw?" His response? "I repeat, file a police report." Needless to say, we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2009
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

My brother and I arrived there without a clue as to what is around. We were also on a very tight budget. The male manager, his name escapes me but he had a tattoo, was incredibly nice and sincere. He really helped us out with everything, location of stores, entertainment, our room, etc. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends