“See the potential for issues, but my stay was great”

The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 December 2007

I stayed one night on business (11/29). I previously have stayed at the downtown Marriott, which I found ok but sort of sterile and a little cramped. I was a little leery of the BP, fearing "old hotel resting on laurels" syndrome. But my employer gets a good rate and the hotel was near my meeting. I was very pleased with my short stay. The front desk person was welcoming and efficient when I arrived near midnight. My room (5th floor corner) was huge -- people in NYC have smaller apartments. The room appeared to have been updated, but with some vintage touches remaining (e.g., the flooring in the bathroom). The bed was very comfortable and sheets were very nice (even though it looked like the bottom sheet was a tucked in flat sheet, which I usually dislike). The TV was nice, the bathroom toiletries were great, towels were above average, and there was plenty of reading material in the room. The video checkout/movie thingamajig was not working, but it was easy enough to express checkout downstairs. The hotel was very nicely decorated and had a lot of charm and warmth. I think if you keep your guard up you can have a very nice stay in Denver here, and enjoy your hotel more than if you were to stay at one of the big chains.

2  Thank tonybruin92
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
There are newer reviews for The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 30 November 2007

The Brown Palace is certainly beautiful and of historic importance. The hotel is grand in feel, with larger rooms than I'd expect for a hotel this age. However, great ambiance is not enough to compensate for physical disrepair and poor service.

I had a very poor experience due to problems with the room and, more alarmingly, minimal responsiveness from the staff. Specifically, the heater in my room was broken and clanged all night long. After tossing and turning for hours and trying (and failing) to turn it off myself, I finally gave up at 5 am and called the front desk, hoping for some peace and quite so I could get at some rest. They assured me that engineering could shut off my heater centrally, and told me they would do so ASAP. 30 minutes later, the heater is still clanging away and I'm no where closer to getting some sleep. I called again, was again assured that the heater was shut off, but that it "takes time." OK. And this went on. It took me almost 3 hours to get someone to physically come to my room to manually disable the heater. At this point, the sun was up and my first meeting of the day was just an hour and a half later - so much for shuteye!

I will say that the manager graciously refunded my room charge; however, I would have much preferred a good night's sleep. If you are a business traveler who wants good service and a comfortable stay, don't look to the Brown Palace.

1  Thank BusinessTravellerSf
Reviewed 17 November 2007

Stayed at the Brown Palace on a short business trip to Denver.
The hotel is well...old. The interiors are a mixed bag which really distracts from a personality. My room was small but nice, the restaurants were bland and the staff uninspired. I was told by one wait-person that I could not set in the hotel lobby and do an interview because the area was set for high tea...really have you ever paid over $250 for a room and not been able to set in the lobby??? The hotel was just ok, but personally I will wait for the Ritz to open in next month before I return.

2  Thank parcvue
Reviewed 10 November 2007

We stayed at the Brown Palace for the weekend of our cousin's wedding. The staff were incredibly accomodating and so friendly. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the rooms were very nice. The Sunday Brunch was outstanding! We were within walking distance to a great many activities, including the shopping mall. We had a great time!

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank ddors
Reviewed 8 November 2007

We had an amazing time at the Brown Palace hotel. As you enter this Classically appointed lobby you will be stunned by the soaring ceiling & massive stained glass ceiling. This grand room will transport anyone back in time to when hotels were a true refuge from home.It is oozing with hospitality, elegance and charm. Our beds & linens were extraordinarily comfortable. The room was thoroughly modern with a very luxurious bathroom. The spa was a last minute decision and a worthwhile experience. It felt very pampering, plush and extremely professional. It's a very beautiful spa with such attentive & well skilled staff. After your treatments they offer refuge in the spa lounge with refreshments, comfortable furnishings, and wonderful mens and womens steam rooms and saunas. But the best thing of all was the genuine, friendly quality of service here. The maids were cheery in the morning and wished us a great day. The bellhop was friendly and charming and the concierge was terrific as well. I will always stay here when visiting Denver and would definitely recommend it to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business