“Don't spend your hard-earned money here!”
Review of India House - CLOSED

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We ate here with some friends who wanted to try it and boy do I have a lot to say about it. It was a Sunday night and there were about 3-4 other patrons in the restaurant. Our whole experience was terrible - first of all the restaurant was FREEZING. The other tables were complaining as well and I heard a waitress tell her table that others had complained and she didn't know why they wouldn't turn the heat up.

Other than the cold, there were these little black fruit type flies that kept flying around our table. Makes me wonder what's going on in the kitchen if the flies were migrating out to the front of the house.

My husband and one of our friends each got a fancy martini, which took about 10-15 minutes to arrive. When they finished those, they each ordered another (before our food came to the table). By the time the second drinks arrived, we were completely done eating and ready for the bill. Um, hello. By that time there was one other table of people. Was the bar that busy? They pounded them so we could leave.

Here's the kicker of my night at India House:

I ordered the house salad for $6. It was very nicely presented, came with tomatoes, fresh cauliflower, cucumbers and carrots and a yogurt dressing. There's this little line of cut up green things in the middle of it, same exact color as the lettuce. I look at one of them (about the same size and diameter of a pencil eraser) and I think to myself, "Huh, I know I saw okra on the menu, maybe this is a little piece of baby okra or something," so I pop it in my mouth. Holy CRAP - it was a pepper. AND IT WAS HOT. We're not talking pepperocini. My mouth was on FIRE. I have never had something so hot in my mouth before. I had tears coming out my eyes. Unfortunately, we were with our friends so I didn't want to spit it out and I'd chewed it before I realized it was killing me in my mouth. I asked our crappy waitress very nicely about it and mentioned that they might want to warn diners that there's a very hot pepper in the GARDEN SALAD, and she shrugs her shoulders and says, "I don't know, some people like things hot. They are jalapenos." And that was the end of that. I have to say I've never seen jalapenos that small and thin. They looked suspiciously like serrano chilis, and besides that, who puts raw chili peppers in the middle of an unsuspecting, average garden salad that didn't even have onions on it?

Moving on, I ordered the curry coconut shrimp which was $20. It came in this little bowl with about 6-8 smaller size shrimp in it and tons of sauce. One little bowl of rice accompanied it. FOR $20. No other side veggies or bread. You even have to pay for the Nan, which is like, flour and water. When our food came, the top of my curry shrimp was sort of crusted over, like it had been sitting in the kitchen for a while (like the skin pudding gets on it when it cools). This, I'm sure was the waitress' fault, but it bears mentioning. She was a supremely crappy waitress for a restaurant that had hardly anyone in it. I'm pretty sure we were her only table.

I will say - all of the food was very tasty. This is the ONE good thing I can say about this restaurant. However, for the price it was ridiculous for what you got. Our total bill was $166 for a table of 4. Not including tip. I don't know what my husband tipped, but I hope it wasn't much.

We will NOT be going back to the India House.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

Was craving Indian food, but was very disappointed. Noticed everyone around us using groupons. My guess is that this is the only way they have business. $16 for small chicken dish, $10 basket of bread, $12 for a beer, and very slow non-knowledgeable wait staff. A restaurant that has been around for years should not have to rely on groupons to stay in business, unless they are bad........

1  Thank aldo5280
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We had a very good experience at India House during our recent visit to Denver. We've eaten at east Indian establishments in several North American cities over the years, and this is one of the best we've tried. Service was attentive and the food (including samosas, along with lamb and eggplant dishes) was excellent from start to finish. I can't imagine anyone describing the food as bland - we asked for medium spicing and needed all the cold water and (in my case) beer to handle the spices. No complaints regarding quantity either - we had more than we could eat and took the rest home for the next day!

1  Thank SKsunseeker
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We saw a Groupon for this restaurant, so we decided to give it a try. We were interested in the Thali for 2, and it was probably a bad sign that our waitress couldn't tell us what sort of food was included (and wouldn't go find out). The food had very little flavor and was quite forgettable. Thank goodness we had the Groupon, because if we had paid full price for that food ($50), it would have been VERY disappointing.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Without question a totally disgusting meal. Dried out, old food which was obvious and both the chef (cook) and wait staff should never have served it. $30 Thali comprised of: (1) small dried out drumstick, (1) dried, burnt and cold small kebob, (3) small ramekins with one crappy curry after the next, cold nan, no app and old dried bland brown rice (non Basmati). Wait staff are nice hispanic ladies that have zero clue on how to be a waitress. Place was filthy and smelled bad. Beware...try the Indian place near 6th ave...much better.