TownePlace Suites Denver Downtown
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfull kitchenjamba juicebreakfast roomqueen beddecent locationwithin walking distancean extended staykitchen areaminute drivemarriott hotelsfront desk stafflate at nightfree breakfastcookieshotel roomthe room was nicean upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed for 10 days at the TownePlace Suites with my Mom & sister while I was at National Jewish Health. The main reason we ended up at TownePlace was due to price & free shuttle to & from the hospital. I'm not a big fan of "extended stay" hotels - but good economics and a place to have a "home cooked meal" rather than eating out every meal was the goal.

I was a little worried when I checked in - the lobby was small, and not very easy to navigate with luggage - even for those without any disabilities. The rooms had obviously been updated recently - but we could hear our neighbors above & beside us, and we often smelled food from other rooms.

The proximity to Denver Health means you will hear ambulances & emergency vehicles during the night. The neighborhood looked a little "iffy" - but I came to appreciate the location for convenience to the interstates, grocery stores, restaurants & a nice mall not to far away.

But the staff at this hotel were so kind and helpful - and every we request we made for extra towels, pillows, restaurant and grocery store recommendations, maintenance for a hair dryer that died - were immediately addressed. Free wi-fi made it easy to keep up with work & family. When my schedule changed at the hospital and I needed a shuttle to NJH for an appointment at 7:00 am, the shuttle driver was cheerful and didn't treat me like I was a problem - even though I was the only one on the shuttle that early. And the included breakfast was ready at 6:00 am, with free copies of the WSJ.

While I would give the overall hotel building/rooms a lower score of no more than 3 - the friendly, attentive staff at this hotel make-up for a lot. Without the staff going above & beyond at this hotel - I probably wouldn't consider returning just due to the "thin walls" and proximity to Denver Health ER.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank crazybusymom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite which was very nice and quite spacious. Small kitchenette with fridge, microwave, stovetop and even a dishwasher. Nice living/sitting area. The sofabed creaked and crunched but would probably be ok for kids. Nice desk area and many windows letting in bright sunshine. Flat screen tvs in each bedroom and the living area too.

Bathroom had a room with the sink and a full length mirror first, and continuing in with a separate door were the tub and toilet.

We had the bedroom that was against the adjoining suite and we could hear the people in that suite talking late at night.

Free outdoor self parking at the hotel. Small fitness room. Adequate breakfast from 6-9:30 daily with cereals, hard boiled eggs, toast, coffee, tea. Washers/dryers for guest use.

There are restaurants and pubs within walking distance; we liked Benny’s. Malls, downtown Denver, and other stores a short drive away.

Lobby serves its purpose with check-in area, a computer for guests to use, and snacks for sale. Occasionally home-made cookies are out too. The candle they were burning wasn't appealing to me.

Overall a nice place and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mizlori
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Loved it! Had a great stay here. No only was the location perfect for downtown Denver, our room was great and the staff was fun and extremely helpful. The one downside was it was hard to find but we called the front desk and he directed us right to it. Anything we asked for, we got instant help. The breakfast was great and someone was there to refill all the food. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank scotlandillinois
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for seven nights and can not understand how it received such a poor reveiw from others. The hotel was very well kept in the Marriott tradition. The housekkeeping staff did a great and attentive job in our room. And, the front desk people were very helpful and accommodating. Donald, the man who worked in the breakfast room was like a new best friend not just to us but everyone there.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank joe14224
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We booked this Marriott tor two nights based on the TripAdvisor reviews. I couldn't disagree more with one of the traveler's "bad" reviews. I honestly don't know where the person got the idea that this was once a hospital and still smelled like one. It's a former printing business. Frankly, this is one of most interesting Marriott's we've stayed at. There is a lot of history behind the building.

The breakfast room was in a location at the end of the hallway where the glass block tower was and is very spacious. There is a commerative plaque in the floor where "home plate" was when there was a ball field on the property, prior to the building of Hirschfield Press. Yes, breakfast was standard, nothing hot, but it's a plus finding a hotel in this area with free parking and grab-and-go breakfast.

The lobby area is a bit cramped but did not create any problems that I could see. The only drawback is the bathroom being on the small side. The toilet paper holder was so close to the toilet you press up against it when using the toilet! That could easily be fixed if the hotel would move it to a wall instead of mounting on the vanity.

The bed was extremely comfortable, as we usually find at Marriott properties, and the price was right based on the location. Several restaurants within walking distance too.

Loved the friendly, helpful staff!

Room Tip: We booked the smallest, queen suite and there was plenty of room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple