“Lack service and can't cook a steak!!! WOW, really surprised how bad it went....”

EDGE Restaurant & Bar at Four Seasons Hotel Denver
Reserve with OpenTable
EDGE Restaurant & Bar at Four Seasons Hotel Denver is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 3,015 Restaurants in Denver
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Arapahoe St.
Transit: *Lawrence & 14th- Bus 15 *15th & Arapahoe- buses 10,12,28,32,38, 44 & 44L *15th & Curtis- buses 2,9,15,15L & 20 *Market Street station at 16th street for buses to the surrounding cities & towns
Description: On-property at the Four Seasons Denver
Colorado
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I went with my husband for restaurant week as a Valentine's Day make-up date. We were there when they opened at 5PM, the only reservation left. I didn't eat anything at Edge that I can remember as outstandingly good, never-mind great. It was OK. Except the steak.

I ordered the fillet mignon, being my absolute FAVORITE! It came out not rare, but RAW. Really. My husband doesn't put up with my complaints, and he says to me "even I would send it back. It's not even cooked". It was seared and was a beautiful ~2" cut. I send it back and watched my husband eat his dinner. After he was done and his plate cleared, my 2nd steak arrived. It was thinner and just as raw almost all the way through as the 1st one. I sent it back again. And then again. Really. Yes, really. It looked the SAME every time, except it got thinner and thinner. After the 3rd time the waiter asked how we were doing, I say "Another glass of wine would be nice" and he ran off and got me a glass on the house. They should have offered that after the 1st time when they ruined our experience since we didn't even get to eat together! The 4th steak was so thin that the rare part in the middle was small. I told them it was oK, took 1 bite and asked for a box. So over it. I microwaved it until it was done when we got home.

This was really sad since we were at the Four Seasons and it's supposed to be so luxurious. This was a terrible experience. Management should have stepped in and made SURE the 2nd steak came out PERFECTLY. BTW I was asking for medium rare - the chef should be able to make it blindfolded!

Disappointed.

• Visited February 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Denver, Colorado
“Definitely Order a Steak”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Edge is a great place to stop after work for a few drinks. Ideal location. Great Service. Have a drink or two in the bar and "people watch" or have a few more drinks and order one of the steaks. Highly recommend trying this place out when in Denver.

• Visited April 2012
Kanagawa, Japan
“Very good, but not quite there”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I live in Japan, so have developed a somewhat critical eye for the quality of restaurants. During a week long business trip to Denver, I dined at Elways, Palace Arms, and EDGE. Please read my reviews for all three places.

As far as atmosphere, Edge was a little noisy when I was there. This isn't necessarily bad. If you want to go to an upscale restaurant with a big group or with people who are a little loud or boisterous, then this restaurant would be an appropriate choice. EDGE has three, semi-private banquet rooms. One of them directly looks into the open kitchen. They all looked great for group dinner parties. The bar is separate from the restaurant.

The greeter at the door did not offer to take my coat when taking me to my table. For a restaurant like this, offering to check someone's coat should be automatic.

The wine list was fine and reasonably priced. There were no half-bottles on the wine list, but there was a sufficient selection of wines by the glass and the servers poured generous, but not overly, portions. My server steered me to a wine that was excellent and I appreciated it.

I ordered the signature bison rib-eye with a mushroom side dish. They brought me asparagus instead. They were very apologetic, allowed me to keep the asparagus, and brought out the mushrooms within a couple of minutes of being notified of the mistake. I think the response was appropriate and reasonable. Unfortunately, the asparagus was mushy in the middle. It should have been tender yet crisp all the way through. The mushrooms, on the other hand, were perfectly cooked and delicious.

The steak was cooked exactly as I asked and looked delicious. I really hate to have to say it, but it was tasteless. Now, I know that bison/buffalo is more lean and less rich than prime beef. The thing is, however, that two days ago I ate a bison steak at Palace Arms that was rich with flavor with an awesome texture. I don't know what was up with the steak at EDGE. I suspect that the chef at the Palace carefully chooses a Chateaubriand-style cut from the bison in order to present the most delectable meat. Somehow the EDGE needs to find a way to do the same thing. The sauce, the adobe spice sauce, presented with the steak, was delectable, but there wasn't enough of it to try to use it to add much flavor to the meat.

The service was excellent, but I noticed that almost all the staff on the floor were very young. Having a seasoned old-hand who knows how to walk around and ask the right questions and observe the right things would probably be of benefit. Based on other reviews in this forum, I put on a collared, button-up shirt before I went. I'm glad I did as otherwise I would have felt a little out of place. 90% of the men in the venue were wearing collared shirts.

In summary, EDGE is a very good restaurant. It just needs to put that little extra effort into everything to turn it into a really excellent food palace. Still, I recommend it for big or boisterous groups looking for an upscale restaurant to have a memorable occasion.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Cla681
Denver, Colorado
“Very expensive, experience was just OK.”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We waited 25 minutes to be seated, although we had a reservation. Were seated in the bar to wait, service was poor to say the least - drinks came out 2 at a time (there were 4 of us). Had to flag down the hostess, who somehow made it seem as though inquiring about why the second set of drinks (nothing complicated, 2 glasses of wine) came out of the bar 15 minutes after the first 2 drinks came out, was MY issue. Service in the restaurant, once we were finally seated, was average, food was good. Unfortunately, first impressions are everything, we won't be back.

Visited March 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice but...”
Reviewed 21 March 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed the bar before dinner but did not see the 'dressup' that some people talked about(jeans with old 50's style basketball shoes and white socks? Really?). That said, the host was your usual upper end type, very very busy doing all sorts of important things and just condescending enough to let us know we were dining at The Edge.

It was prime time on a Saturday evening and the waiter, once settled into his routine was very good and attentive to us and our needs. Food was very good.

It appears to be a nice place especially for a celebration evening or special event. We may return for such an occasion ..

1 Thank redrover62