“Nice Staff, bad location and rooms”

Days Inn Denver Downtown
Ranked #103 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Bremerton, Washington, United States
“Nice Staff, bad location and rooms”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The staff here was always very nice to us, but the location and condition of the rooms was not. We needed a budget hotel in downtown denver, which is pretty hard to find. We didn't feel safe walking from downtown to the location, and took a cab here at night. WiFi only worked in the lobby. Our first room didn't have a working toilet or tv. Switched rooms, only got a few channels on tv.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShannonW745
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Amarillo, Texas, United States
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The second I walked inside, I was disappointed.. The clerk was busy on what seemed to be her facebook and was not ready to provide service.. After a little while, I was able to get my room card, so I walked upstairs to my room only to find that it was still being cleaned by room service.. So I turned around, went back down to my car (without having stepped foot into my room). I got my stuff and went about my business in Denver. After about 4 hours, I walk back to the hotel, grabbed my laptop and cellphone from my car and walked to my room. I swipe my card and step in. The carpet was filthy, the room smelled very funky, the office chair behind the little desk was just outrageous (white stains, crumbs, and crusty sauce all over the seat and arms). I didn't even imagine what the bed was like.. But this is besides the point..I wasn't in there for more than 2 minutes before I received a family emergency phone call which required me to leave immediately. I went back downstairs to explain my situation to the manager, and he claimed that there was NOTHING he can do as far as a refund since I had supposedly been in the room for 4 hours... I tried explaining that I had not touched anything in the room since I have not even been there, and when I actually was, I had to leave before I had a chance to sit down...(later I called corporate only to find out that it is privately operated and that they can't do anything to help me get a refund.) The manager DOES NOT have ANY compassion or understanding as far as the human factor goes. Or reasoning/logic for that matter. He just cared about money and selling a room since it is privately operated. I could go on and on about this terrible experience... but in a summation, just pick a different place to stay even if it costs a bit more. You'll be thankful you did later. Super filthy room, nasty carpet, unhelpful staff/manager, and a COMPLETE waste of money and time. Avoid this hotel like the plague.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel like the plague, even if you're trying to save money. It's filthy and the c...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Adrian P

Travellers are raving about these Denver hotels

Campton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Within ten minutes walking distance of the spectacular 16th Street Mall downtown, we stayed here for eight nights in August, saving over half the cost of the hotels at which the American Accounting Association's Annual Meeting was held. (University budgets were cut for travel this year, so I had to pay my own way, even though I was a presenter at the conference.) The employees at the Econo Lodge were polite and helpful, the room was acceptable, and the parking was adequate, thanks to an overflow lot half-a-block away. However, this part of Colfax Ave. is a run-down neighborhood, and I got asked for spare change on the street more than once.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PSU-NHDad
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Decent enough hotel for one night. Beds were UNCOMFORTABLE, to say the least. Water pressure was great, but drains were extremely slow. We stayed on the top floor for the view, which the night clerk was happy to do as we were from out of town and wanted to see the city from high up. Frankly, for what you get, the prices should be dropped about twenty bucks per tier. Really, its nothing special, so why should prices be so high? Its only nice NOW because its relatively new. Wait till this building gets old and dated, they'll have to drop it and build another one. Today's "new" is tomorrows "Ghetto" which this building is certainly destined to be. But, here's the KICKER! I asked the night clerk if I could put cash towards my bill now, pay the balance on my CC in the morning, he advised against it in favor of paying up in the morning. When I went to pay, I gave half the bill in cash, put the rest on my CC. I checked my bank account later that day and they had charged the ENTIRE bill to my CC and did who knows what with the cash. When I called them out on it on the phone, I was informed that I should have paid the cash UP FRONT when I arrived (totally contrary to what the night clerk advised) AND that it would take up to THREE days to see the cash payment applied to my bank account and that it was AUTOMATIC for them to charge the entire thing to the CC. WHAT?!! I dont think so. Cash is CASH!! Decent enough place, but I think there's something fishy going on here with the money. I would AVOID THE HASSLE entirely and find another place if you can. I am definitely writing a letter to their corporate offices about this.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank First N
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Your basic no frills motel room but extremely clean with fairly comfy beds. I stay here when in Denver visiting my daughter who only lives a couple of blocks away which is convenient. Outside entry to room made me a bit nervous, but after staying a couple of nights I felt secure. Parking is horrendous! You just cannot beat the price for a great downtown location in Denver. Will stay again...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family