“WOW!!!”
Review of Shelf Road

More attraction details
Owner description: Mostly unpaved, this road travels between Cripple Creek and Canon City and promises outstanding views.
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Definitely a must see. Exciting, thrilling, beautiful, breath taking ... loved it!!

1  Thank 1997Caajl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

Some say it's not for the faint of heart, it's really a very nice drive.

1  Thank ColoradoElkheart
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Coming up the shelf to Cripple Creek might be a little scary to the flatlander but passenger cars are a very frequent sight. It is a beautiful, fun and historically significant trip.

1.5-2 hours, narrow in spots, steep drops anda litle bumpy with some loose rock. 4WD is not required. JUST DRIVE SLOW!

4  Thank Phil225
Reviewed 13 July 2011

As a Texan, we are accustomed to long stretches of FLAT roads... so, Shelf Road was an adventure my husband and I will never forget! Upon leaving Canon City, we headed north to CrippleCreek, trusting our GPS to give us directions. When the pavement ended my husband said, "This looks like fun!" By the time we realized that our rent car was not up to the challenge, we were well on our way to the biggest adventure we have ever had on a trip. I have an aversion to heights, so, to say I was nervous, was a serious understatement! I didn't realize the scenery was so absolutely breathtaking until we arrived in CrippleCreek, and I went through my photos. I had randomly taken pictures, while slumped down in the seat, with my camera stuck out of the window. I realize I'm a sissy, but that was the scariest ride I have EVER been on. Oh, and I forgot to mention the rain that started midway! The CrippleCreek mules must hae sensed that we needed some comic relief, because eight of them were standing in the middle of the road as we turned left onto the REAL ROAD that led us into the town. We will share that day with folks for the rest of our lives! PB

3  Thank ppcbow
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We just returned from Cripple Creek, CO. We stayed in a nice remodeled motel the Country Inn in Woodland Park, CO then drove up to Cripple Creek about 10 a.m. We had made the trip the day before but the afternoon sun did not do it justice and there were no motels available in Cripple Creek's many casinos. We hiked at Mueller State Park and took pcitures that would make a photographer cry.
Those of us who live in the Midwest can have the East Coast color experience without the trip and for less money.

1  Thank beegee086