All reviews beer tasting twin buttes hot chocolate bar gourmet breakfast other guests each morning in town charming b b expert chef his guest crisp mountain air bulletin board his passion an excellent host store leftovers each evening dietary restrictions
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Chris the owner clearly loves his "job" running and cooking for this beautiful B&B. He had recommendations for every local restaurant, for quick-bite or full entree, when to predict the bus stops for shuttle up the mountain and for activities that even non-skiers can do. In addition, and impressive to me: local weather reports mixed with his own higly-honed instincts on what to predict (like how to judge thermal "inversions" of temperature fluctuation) for the postage stamp area in which he's standing. Amazing knowledge of local history, and recommendations of where to learn more.

Then there were the BREAKFASTS! Chris Haver is a foodie hard-core extraordinaire, although humbly disguised as just a nice guy in a chef's livery. We had healthy balanced breakfasts each day, lovingly assembled and, upon serving, expertly described in the style of a right proper butler: "Blue corn flour panakes mixed with local Colorado white flour and blueberries, maple syrup infused with orange and......etc.etc." I was salivating before he completed the first sentence.

On room recommendations: I saw only three of the rooms, all of which are very homey and comfortable. I had chosen the Red Lady Room, smallest one, knowing I would be spending all my time outdoors, and needing only a place to lay my head at night. It was perfect, right at the top of the stairs, where the small fridge and microwave were; good for quick-robed step-outs for tea, without having to dress and go downstairs for the more elaborately hospitable kitchen area. And although I wouldn't have thought to look for such a feature, I really liked having the private bathroom out of view of the room's doorway, such that I could feel open to the rest of the house by leaving it open and not closed in. The other two rooms I saw also had this layout.

All in all, a wonderful trip, made more so by the perfect accommodations at the Purple Mountain! Thank you!

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Location is great along with the service. I can only imagine the spring wildflowers blooming around it but we came for the snow and skiing nearby but didn't want to be in a Condo....but loved the hot tubs and the extras with homemade brownies!
Delicious home cooked meals made the dining a pleasure and the advice and informaiton from the hosts made you really feel more than just a guest.

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank craigj82
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We spent a couple of days camping/mountain biking around Gothic and after getting engaged on one of our epic rides, my now fiancé and I stayed at Purple Mountain to celebrate and spend some time in town. After a day of mountain biking, we arrived at Purple Mountain later in the afternoon and were welcomed by Chris who was already in the process of baking fresh brownies. Chris was genuinely excited to be hosting us and made us feel more than welcome. He provided a knowledgable review of local restaurants and made a delicious breakfast the next morning. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Purple Mountain and plan on returning this winter for some skiing! Would highly recommend in every way possible!

Room tip: We stayed in the Red Lady, which was cozy and perfect for a couple on a budget.
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This is a fantastic B&B, just a few blocks from the main downtown area of Crested Butte. A friend of mine stayed at a different B&B nearby and said the walls were really thin, and there were far more people there so it felt more like a small hotel. My husband and I stayed at the Purple Mountain B&B in early October so we caught the end of the Aspen leaves changing. Having the hot tub and bikes is a great plus. We enjoyed walking to the edge of town where there was open space for our dogs to run, and also walking to the main street in just a couple minutes. Chris cooked wonderful breakfasts both days, and provided excellent recommendations on hikes nearby and restaurants in town. The living room is comfortable to relax in, and has plenty of games & books to keep you busy if you want a mellow afternoon/evening! We will definitely be back this winter and look forward to staying here again.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Purple Mountain Lodge with a group of friends. In fact, we took up most of the living room during a football game and then the dining room for those delicious breakfasts. Chris was a very informative host, offering info on restaurants, hiking/biking trails and even offering his help after we left Crested Butte.
Our room was cozy with a good shower. Some of the rooms are larger than others but all are comfortable.
We were there at the height of the aspen glory, before snow, so no crowds either.

Room tip: Just ask Chris when making reservations which rooms are larger. Also, the room on the first floor might be noisy.
Date of stay: September 2012