All reviews big horn sheep general palmer king james carriage house rock formations main castle personal retreat three nights one night stay free breakfast lodge navigator garden property gods lodging outlying
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My wife and I attended an Innovo retreat at Glen Eyrie. The morning and evening devotional times were just enough to jump start the rest of the day. We came away spiritually refreshed. Stayed at The Oaks. Comfortable, simple retreat-accomodations. Food was good. The valley is beautiful, restful and unique.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HuskerTraveler2
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed here on July 20 and 21st booking 4 rooms each night when most other hotels were booked in CO Springs. The scenery and hiking trails are EXCELLENT! Bighorn sheep even walked right up to our lodge (Oaks Lodge). The breakfast at the Castle is magnificant. The AC in the rooms in Oaks Lodge ran around 60 degrees - we like it cold! This place is probably the most underrated place in all of Colorado. I can't believe you get so much for the price (we paid around $100 per night only - including breakfast. The staff is incredibly polite upon check-in. There is great gate security as well. Our lodge had a kitchen and laundry room in it. The rooms are large. You are only 2 mn from Garden of the Gods and about 5 mn. from Flying W Ranch attraction. However, with all the hiking trails and rock monoliths on the property, you have your 'Garden of the Gods' right on site. Spectacular!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank avocadoman
GlenEyrie, Manager at Glen Eyrie Castle & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Due to the destruction of last year’s Waldo Canyon Fire, the danger to hikers at Glen Eyrie is too great to allow the public on our trails. NO PUBLIC HIKING will be permitted on Glen Eyrie property until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience, and encourage you to check our website for any future policy updates (www.gleneyrie.org/hiking). We hope you’ll still consider coming for a visit and checking out the many other wonderful things that Glen Eyrie has to offer, such as an afternoon tea, a tour of the castle or relaxing in our bookstore/café. We look forward to seeing and serving you!

Reviewed 19 July 2011

I attend an annual conference at Glen Eyrie every 4th of July. This year was the 4th year the conference was at the Glen. The conference is a family retreat that approximately 300 people attend. We had booked the whole campus.

PROS:

*Some* of the rooms. I have stayed in many of their lodgings over the years. Eagle's Nest, the Pink House, and the Castle are great! The others are just OK.

Conference Staff (in general). I know we are a very picky bunch, and Glen Eyrie always does a great job of catering to our special needs. Thanks to Denae for the great work!

The Campus. I love the setting, and the security & safety are fantastic.

CONS:

A/V Staff. Every year, our conference has had issues with the A/V people. They are EXTREMELY picky about policies and regulations. You can't use your own projector, and they don't provide VGA adapters for Mac users. They need to inspect your device (such as a laptop) about half a day in advance before you can use it. And yet they still mess some things up.

Lodging Rules. This is a minor drawback, but some lodgings (like the Pink House) have caretakers of varying quality. Two years ago, the caretakers were great! But this year, the caretaker had some strict rules (take your shoes off when you enter the building?) that seem out of place in a business/conference center environment.

Overall, a great place to have a conference. Just get some better A/V staff.

Room Tip: Eagle's Nest is newly remodeled: Great rooms!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank rapidcitytraveler98
GlenEyrie, Manager at Glen Eyrie Castle & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Thank you so much for staying at Glen Eyrie! It’s always a pleasure to serve you and we look forward to having you back in the future. Thank you also for sharing your thoughts regarding the Audio Visual services we offer. We would like to update you on some of our current policies regarding A/V services at Glen Eyrie to help you better understand what we offer and why.

We generally do not allow people to bring their own projectors into rooms where we already have equipment available to use, this is because it helps to keep the costs down and it enables us to offer better service to our guests. We do provide VGA adapters for Mac users for no charge (although we encourage people to bring their own adapters because we don't have an unlimited supply). Lastly, we only need to have laptops brought to us in advance if they are using them in the Great Hall, that way we can hook them into our system and get everything working. We usually just ask that presenters arrive an hour or so early just to ensure that we can fix any technical problems that might arise. We hope this information is helpful to you and we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed 16 July 2011

We stayed two nights at Glen Eyrie on a vacation celebrating 20 years of marriage. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The grounds are a true gem, with trails around the grounds for every type of hiker. We plan on coming back and bringing our four kids next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank scottdean

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay at Glen Eyrie!
However, due to the destruction of last year’s Waldo Canyon Fire, the danger to hikers at Glen Eyrie is too great to allow the public on our trails. NO PUBLIC HIKING will be permitted on Glen Eyrie property until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience, and encourage you to check our website for any future policy updates (www.gleneyrie.org/hiking). We hope you’ll still consider coming for a visit and checking out the many other wonderful things that Glen Eyrie has to offer, such as an afternoon tea, a tour of the castle or relaxing in our bookstore/café. We look forward to seeing and serving you!

Reviewed 13 July 2011

My Fiance and I came across this beautiful castle and really wanted to get married at this venue more than any of the other places we looked at. The drive, the view, everything about this venue is breath taking....HOWEVER my experience with the people at this venue was unprofessional and closed minded AND there are several catches that they don't mention.

First catch: you are paying for 2 venues even if you are only using 1, so instead of the $3,500 that they mention on their website it is actually $7,000 JUST FOR THE VENUE!! Their explanation was that in case of rain you need a back up place to have. My fiance then asked what if we just used the indoor wedding venue for the ceremony and reception and never use the outside, would that make a difference and she said no still $7,000. No refund for the venue either if it doesn't rain you are still paying for 2 venues.

Second Catch: No alcohol on the premises they do not have it mentioned at all on the website. A dry wedding never bothered us, but it does for some.

Third Catch: You must sing an affirmation that you are a Christian and that you have the same beliefs that were listed on the page. NEVER MENTIONED UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE CONTRACT. Now I am a christian, but I felt like I was pushed into a certain corner because I HAD to have the same belief systems that they did. It made me extremely uncomfortable that in order for me to get married I had to sign a paper (which was never mentioned to me or my fiance during the meeting) that we had to be Christians of their belief system, but not ours. Morally I think it is wrong, this is my wedding day not my baptism, I am an adult and have my own belief system and didn't feel that they respected me as a christian.

I wish I didn't leave this kind of review about this venue because it is very beautiful, but I felt that I needed to share my own experience with this place. Unfortunately we had to have our wedding there after then singing. It was a very very beautiful day and still had the best wedding because of the people I shared it with, but there was still a very unsettling feeling about the place after all of those experiences.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
20  Thank travelextrodinair
GlenEyrie, Manager at Glen Eyrie Castle & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your experience at Glen Eyrie. We strive for excellence at Glen Eyrie and we are truly sorry that your experience was less than excellent. Please allow us to clarify some of our current policies and where you can find this information on our website. We have made every effort to inform the public of our alcohol-free policy, as well as the policy of agreeing with our statement of faith in order to get married at Glen Eyrie. We currently make all of this information available on our website so that nothing is unclear.

We apologize if these policies came as surprises to you and weren't clearly presented at the time of your wedding. We are in the process of updating our wedding package prices, so the best way to get clear information about what we offer is to call our wedding planner, who would be happy to help those interested in a wedding at Glen Eyrie.

We hope that you still had a memorable and beautiful wedding day, despite the disappointment you experienced, and we would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future! We are always striving to improve the guest experience here, and take all guest comments seriously.