“Excellent Location, Poor Value” 3 of 5 bubbles

One Ski Hill Place, A RockResort
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Breckenridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnetka
“Excellent Location, Poor Value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at One Ski Hill over the Christmas to New Year's week with my wife and three daughters. I have to say that the location is superb and the property is beautiful. However, for the price there are many other premiuim ski-in/ski-out properties that I prefer at Vail, Big Sky, Telluride, Snowbird, Jackson Hole, and Steamboat.
My main issue with the property is that it doesn't have adequate nighttime dining facilities. The "Living Room" (the on-site restaurant) barely has the capacity to serve five or so tables. Otherwise you have to trek downtown for dinner. For the price, it shouldn't be a hassle to have dinner each night. On the positive side the skiers cafeteria is convenient for lunch.
The property seems to be poorly organized and/or managed. I don't blame the staff. In fact, everyone was very pleasant. Getting my rental car in and out of the garage was a breeze, the weekday concierge was a huge help setting up dinner reservations downtown, the front desk staff was efficient in dealing with problems, housekeeping tried their best with smiles on their faces, and the bartender was very helpful when we did order dinner while sitting at the bar or in front of the fireplace (my recommended approach to dinner in The Living Room).
Here are some of my negative experiences. First, they checked us into a unit that was occupied by the owner. They eventually found a smaller unit for us. The front desk gave us a discount coupon for the Living Room that had expired five days earlier. There was no safe in our unit although every unit was to have one. The housekeeping staff visited us at the end of the ski day when we were in rather than during the day when we were on the mountain. The water was cold everytime I took a shower. When we lost power (due to a wind storm) there were no emergency lights in the stairwells! It's the details that make for a good experience.
My conclusion is that while the location is magnificent and the property is beautiful the experience was not what I expected for the price. I like Breck. The next time I visit I'll try one of the new properties at the base of Peak 7.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Brian B
OSHPandCPLManager, Front Office Manager at One Ski Hill Place, A RockResort, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Thank you Brian B for your review of our property.

I apologize that you feel our property is poor in value. The holiday period that you stayed with us is one of the busiest times of year for Breckenridge, which means it tends to be more expensive for accommodations in town as a whole. I appreciate the feedback on how we can improve some of the areas that you felt were lacking.

In regards to nighttime dining activity on property, The Living Room and room service are the only on site, but Sevens Restaurant is a short distance up the road at the base of Peak 7. We do also provide a complimentary shuttle service that can take you anywhere in town you would like to go whether it be for dinner, drinks, or other activities. There are also long term plans to expand our amenities at the base of Peak 8.

We are very sorry for the lack of lighting in the stairwells after the town wide power outage. We actually do have an emergency light system in the stairwells, but the power was out for such an extended period of time that the back up batteries actually ran out. Since we are still a relatively new property we were unaware of this deficiency. Once we did figure out the problem we had employees stationed on floors with flashlights to assist guests as well as some extra lighting we were able to find. Since then we have taken steps to keep these areas safely lit if an unforeseen incident like this were to occur again.

Thank you again for review.

Chris
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

My wife and I spent a week at this facility in Sept. 2011 as part of a hiking vacation. The facility was practically empty but that was fine with us. We got a great deal via JetSetter.com. Our unit was almost totally unused and we were very pleased with cleanliness, quality of the kitchen and bathrooms, and comfort of the beds. I don't know how the facility would function in high ski season, but during off season it was perfect.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just returned from an Easter break ski vacation at One Ski Hill...couldn't be beat. We stayed in a 2 bedroom slope side that was beautiful. What separates RockResorts from other hotels (other than Four Seasons or Ritz) is the service. It started with the Valet, not only did he help us unload and deliver our luggage, he actually cleaned the garbage (kids food & drink) out of the car. Service was exceptional. We didn't eat there so I can't comment. This would be the only place I'd stay in Breckenridge.

Room Tip: Ask for slope side, the views of the terrain park make for great entertainment.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My family (2 kids ages 9 and 14) stayed for 6 nights late March/early April in a 2 bedroom plus den unit. Overall, we had a good time despite the lack of snow!

PROS:
1. Fantastic location. Ski in, ski out.
2. Best valet service ever! Jordan and Eric made it the fastest and smoothest check in and check out we have ever had.
3. Excellent concierge, very knowledgeable. Super restaurant recommendations: Twist, Relish, Briar Rose, Downstairs at Eric's....
4. Friendly wait staff at the restaurant.
5. A bowling alley! Sure a rare find for ski condos.
6. Free fast wi fi.
7. Ski shop right next door, with 20% discount for guests of One Ski Hill Place.
8. Last but not least, very spacious unit, nice furnishings and high end appliances (Bosch). The washer/dryer was a godsend.

THE BELOW AVERAGE STUFF:
1. Housekeeping. On the days that we had the floor supervisor, it was great. Otherwise, it was sloppy: poor cleaning job for floors and counter tops, towels not replaced, dishwasher not loaded...the biggest problem is that they would come at 3:30p, just as we get back from the slopes. and then they would tell us they finish at 4:30p. Perhaps they feel bothered and rushed by our presence, hence the poor job.
2. Room service. Trays left outside other units left uncollected overnight. On 2 occasions, we walked past trays at 3pm when we returned from skiing and they were still there the next morning! We could literally smell them when we opened the door.
3. Solitary printer in business center with big "broken" sign attached, not repaired/replaced for the duration of our stay.
4. Front desk. Wes was great though the others are just average. My experience with shipping our skis will illustrate the issue. First of all, they had no Fedex ground forms. Secondly, as noted above, their printer was broken broken so I could not print from the Fedex website. When I mentioned these facts to the young lady at the front desk, she was not terribly interested, and simply gave me an airbill to fill out. A quick phone call to Fedex and I was told that they do not accept airbills for Fedex ground. The same front desk person finally relented and let me use her terminal to complete my order. I then asked her for some packing tape. Without evening bothering to look, she told me they did not have any. Clearly not the case as when I asked Eric (the superb valet) later, he produced one in less than 2 seconds!

Rock Resorts strive to provide a luxury experience for skiers, but a Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton it is not, and I think one of the differences is the lack of the "can do" attitude amongst some of its staff.

So overall, 3.5 to 4 stars. It is an expensive place, and unfortunately some aspects of their service is just not commensurate with the price. If it is location/amenities you are after, then this is the place; otherwise I think you can do better.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Blipster1
Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo with a full kitchen. Excellent staff from the valets, front desk to the concierge. One Ski Hill can be pricey, however, with your full kitchen, this can be minimized substantially. Great shuttle service to and from Breckenridge.

This ski in/ski out was very convenient with the lockers steps away from the slope. The ski school and it's staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Complimentary snacks, coffee and drinks were a great start to every day before the slopes. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family