Boulder University Inn
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
US$ 224
Residence Inn
Boulder Twin Lakes Inn(Boulder)(Great Value!)
US$ 137
Holiday Inn Express Boulder(Boulder)(Great Value!)
US$ 226
US$ 218
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boulder(Boulder)(Great Value!)
US$ 299
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
US$ 179
Hampton.com
Boulder Adventure Lodge(Boulder)(Great Value!)
US$ 188
US$ 169
US$ 280
  • Restaurant
US$ 426
Preferred Hotels
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgreat locationpearl streetthree blockswithin walking distancebathroom windowjunior suitecontinental breakfastupdated roomsmotel stylefarmers marketgrocery storewalked everywherestay there againshort walkcu campusyogurtwalk in shower
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Stayed here for 1 night October 7, 2011, and was chosen because of it's very close proximity to CU and Pearl Street Mall. We walked to Pearl Street in less than 5 minutes. It's a safe location all the time. The staff is very helpful, rooms are above average with hot showers and great beds and parking is free.The next morning the free breakfast was very good, hot coffee plentiful and staff right there to assist. I'd definitely stay here again upon my next return to Boulder.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My last review of the University Inn was from our 2nd stay in May 2008 and although we have stayed there a many times since, I wanted to take the time after our most recent visit to say that this hotel is still a good bang for the buck and for it's location.

*I find the pictures of the room & property accurate. *If you cannot forgo marble baths, fancy bedding, and flat screens tv this hotel is probably not for you.

We find the front desk staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are a little outdated, but are clean and comfortable. Having refrigerators in the room would be a huge plus as most of our stays are for 4 nights or more and it would be nice to be able to keep cold drinks in the room as well as leftovers. We fly from the East coast and do not travel with a cooler, but if you are coming by car and staying a few nights I recommend bringing one to keep in the room.

Over the years we have stayed in rooms with 1 king bed, 2 full beds, and during our most recent stay in July we had a junior suite; which is regular room with a full size bed and off of this room is a small room with another full size bed and 2 built in end tables. It was an extremely hot week while we were there and our adult son was not able to shut the door to his "room" as the AC did not work in there. Not a huge deal, but hindsight we should have booked a standard room with 2 beds for 3 adults. I think we would have been more comfortable, space and temperature wise.

The continental breakfast has the typical offerings: choices of dry cereal, packets of oatmeal, bagels, donuts, danishes, muffins, yogurt and a variety of hot & cold beverages. Unless I missed it, fruit would have been a nice addition.

Besides the comfortable sleep, a good hot shower, and something to eat in the morning, what we like best about the University Inn is the location! If you have student at CU, living on campus or on The Hill, this hotel is so convenient. We like that we can walk to where they are living and not have to search for a parking spot. It is an easy walk to Pearl Street for shopping and dining, again do no need to worry about parking. And for on campus activities like football games & graduation, no need to get in your car! It is also on the Boulder Creek path and about a block from the seasonal Wed & Sat Farmer's Market. And if you like to ride bikes, the hotel lends them out for free! The new Alfalfa's market across the street has awesome take out sandwiches and salads and the Thai restaurant a few buildings down has delicious spring rolls and pad thai!

I for one hope management keeps the hotel & rooms simple, clean, comfortable, and affordable!

Looking forward to our next visit!

Mare

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mare123
BoulderCreek, General Manager at Boulder University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Thank you so much for your continued patronage of the Boulder University Inn. We appreciate you stating that our property pictures are accurate – I’m pleased you noticed that we are correct in our portrayal of our property. Our service commitment is everything you expect in a budget hotel with a great location, but without the frills like granite countertops and flat screen televisions. We appreciate your feedback and would like to comment on a few of your suggestions. We recognize that some of our guests would like to have refrigerators in their room. On your next visit with us, please request a refrigerator with our front desk and provided we have one available we will deliver to your room for use during your stay complimentary – no need to travel with a cooler! We apologize that you were unable to close the door to the second room in your suite as the air conditioner should have easily cooled that room to a comfortable temperature without having to leave the door open. We have addressed the problem with the air conditioner and would like to apologize to you and your son for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Boulder and again – thank you for your loyalty!

Reviewed 13 June 2011

This served my purpose for visiting my CU student. Clean, nearby, good front desk staff. It does need a major facelift, though, and did not feel completely comfortable (safety-wise) for a woman traveling alone...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2011

No granite counter tops or anything fancy. But great simple very clean room in very great location. I was visiting friends on the hill, and I could easily walk to "the Hill" or the Pearl St Mall. Also there were restaurants very near by (Thai place almost adjoining motel). It is not anything smart of fancy and doesn't aim to impress. But I was totally happy with my stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2011

There were several strands of hair on the bed when we arrived. We asked for a fresh set of sheets and got two flat sheets that were just the width of the bed. So we had to cover up the fitted sheet with one and replace the other flat sheet. We had to call again to get new pillowcases, one of which had a hair on it too.

The new sheets were bright white (probably bleached) but the original sheets were yellowed - maybe they were originally off-white but I doubt it.

Otherwise the room was OK. The fluorescent lights were an older generation of bulbs that took several minutes to warm up so that the room was sufficiently lit. But it's Boulder so that's a charm of sorts.

Close to campus and Broadway buses, etc. But clearly the sheets weren't changed for us for our stay of one night. Maybe the maid didn't know the previous occupant was checking out or something, but the bathroom, etc. looked like it had been set anew. So I think they just cut a corner or the maid should wear a hair net or something. Plus the sheets were yellowed.

Really, don't stay here. Another night, I happened to stay at the QI on Arapahoe and enjoyed the experience much better.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank poreef
BoulderCreek, General Manager at Boulder University Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2011

First, we would like to take this opportunity to apologize that your experience at the Boulder University Inn was not at the level of cleanliness that we hold as the expectation and would like to thank you for making us aware of the issues you experienced. I will be sure to address these issues by reviewing our standards with our Executive Housekeeper and her staff. As the Hotel Manager, I can assure you that our housekeepers take much pride in their work and are meticulous when cleaning our guest rooms as well as the entirety of the hotel property. Although we are a budget property, I can assure you that we do not cut corners when it comes to cleanliness- that is not something that I nor the ownership would compromise. We are proud to offer a budget friendly property in an ideal location close to downtown Boulder, Pearl Street Mall, the “The Hill” district and the CU campus, thank you for acknowledging this. Again, our apologies and we hope you will reconsider the next time you are in the Boulder, Colorado area.