“Very good but I wouldn’t say the best”
Review of The French Laundry

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Creek Street
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

We were on the waiting list for dinner reservations and received an email that something had opened up. We were very excited to have the opportunity to visit the French Laundry!
Upon arrival, we were warmly greeted by the receptionist. Our server, Laurel, was lovely and attentive.
Now the food.. the food was good, but it didn’t meet my expectations. There were some amazing dishes but a few were just okay. The best dishes I had that evening were the gnocchi with truffle and all of the desserts. The dessert presentation is like no other!
I agree with another reviewer regarding the wine list. It is absolutely insane!!!! Cheapest bottle of wine is $300 and cheapest glass of scotch is $65. I’m sorry but that’s ridiculous. You can’t find a less expensive bottle of wine?
Overall, I’m glad I was able to visit the restaurant and experience the French Laundry but I’m not sure I would pay $300 a person to go back.

1  Thank Christy030

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

The French Laundry was very nice but not worth the price. The food was amazing but the lack of affordable wine (in the middle of wine country) was disappointing. And they boast of their $150 corkage fee..so you get the message.

They clearly have great food and the presentation is perfect. But the cost will be doubled if you have proper beverages. We didn’t expect to leave full and didn’t. So don’t arrive hungry.

All that said, we are glad we had the one time experience. And we can say we did the laundry.

1  Thank Cecil K
Reviewed 2 October 2018

Went for a great meal on a great Sept day this year. After reading several reviews of Michelin rated restaurants in the San Fran Napa area I chose this one for the big blowout of my trip. We sat inside thinking it might be a little chilly for our 8:45 sitting if we were outdoors. I think it would have been fine but indoors was perfect for us. My meal included: Oysters&pearls, Kaluga caviar Hawaiian palm salad foie gras Scottish sea trout Nova Scotia lobster white quail lamb. Wine and champagne was enjoyed throughout the meal. Deserts were decadent and service was outstanding in every way. Great setting/building added to the meal. Well done French Laundry.

1  Thank kyle w
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Our second visit to the French Laundry was nothing short of perfection. Each course of the tasting menu was exceptional. The “Oysters and Pearls” and Moulard Duck Foie Gras “Terrine” were both oustanding. The Turbot was a standout and I can honestly say that it was the best preparation that I have ever had. The 100 Day Dry Aged Wagyu was beautifuly seasoned and cooked to a perfect end to end medium rare. The Service was flawless throughout—reminiscent of a well choreographed ballet. Truly a privilege to enjoy this restaurant.

1  Thank Ryan L
Reviewed 1 October 2018

The French Laundry is quite a dining experience. Just getting a table is an event in and of itself as you must jump on the line exactly three months before (and the entire restaurant will be completely booked for months within five minutes of the opening of the phone line). However the experience itself just simply wasn't the magical evening we envisioned. We arrived at 5 pm and sat outside in the gardens before our 5:15 pm dinner reservation. Busy waitstaff streamed by without a smile or nod; we finally hailed a waiter down so we could order a $ 35 dollar glass of wine but were immediately brought to our table to wait its arrival. Then the courses started. There are choices for many however the second choice is often at an additional cost such as the Royal Kaluga Caviar ($ 60 pp extra), or the Duck Foie Gras ($ 30 pp additional). Don't come hungry! Each course is about the size of a quarter; the Garden Romano Bean Salad (which was delicious) fits in a table spoon and the Poached Lobster was the size of two nickles. If only we could have had more - it was our favorite nibble! We couldn't resist chuckling at that one, and watched as other patrons also seemed a bit surprised. There are lots of "foodies" in attendance though -- another good laugh was the gentleman who sniffed in delight each and every course in a way similar to how one might enjoy a fine glass of wine. At times we wondered if the entire experience was like The Emperor's New Clothes where everyone was just pretending. The evening is a fortune ($ 375 per person for the the tasting menu before 'upgrades' and not including drinks) and is very formal in a quiet dining room with little laughter or joy. The food is definitely very innovative; desserts were beautiful, but not particularly delicious and the wine was expensive but enjoyable. Beware the bubbles though - if you don't properly order you will be sipping a $ 75 glass of champagne by accident! Overall we were glad we went but we certainly won't be back. Honestly there are many other great restaurants out there. Our advice would be to enjoy a fun evening somewhere else and donate your saved dollars to your favorite charity....

9  Thank Leslie M