“Not What it Used to Be”

Ranked #2 of 4 Yountville B&B and Inns
Dallas
“Not What it Used to Be”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We've visited the Napa Valley for many years and have stayed at Lavender multiple times. Previously, this small, well-located hotel was charming (if quirky) and had luxurious touches that made one feel justified in paying close to $300 per night. No more. It appears that management has decided to cut costs, but not in a smart way.

The biggest issue is the staff. A staff that was once lead by a friendly English woman has been replaced by a cook (a charitable description of whom would be surly and who apparently is also the Four Sisters supervisor for the entire area) and 20-something receptionists who don't look up from the computer and don't speak unless spoken too. I actually heard the cook around 9am one morning counting down the number of guests to the receptionist that had eaten breakfast as if we were cattle--she clearly wanted to be done with her duties for the day. I was also told that I should bring my own tea if I didn't like the hotel's tea offering--I thought my request for English breakfast tea was pretty reasonable.

It's simply unacceptable, and if I were management, I'd be up there today either cleaning house or requiring serious attitude adjustment of the staff. There is such a wonderful opportunity given the layout of this particular property to be friendly and accommodating to guests in a manner that engenders loyalty--that has been completely lost since we last stayed in 2010.

Although not a huge deal, they have replaced what were very nice L'Occitane bath amenities with bulk liquid soap and shampoo dispensers. I felt as if I were showering at the YMCA. I'm sure this change saves a bit of money and is viewed as an environmentally-sensitive move. However, it is a very noticeable change that smacks of thriftiness and makes one wonder where else cuts are occurring (I can assure you, it is not in the room rates).

The grounds, which were once beautiful, have fallen into disrepair. I've seen landscaping at Motel 6 properties that is better. It's not as if it is terribly difficult to have a well-maintained landscaping in this lush part of California. I simply can't understand why management would let this happen to what was once beautiful grounds

The wine selection in the afternoon is pitiful. Sutter Home? Really? In Napa where at least a fair number of people that come to visit have some level of sophistication when it comes to wine, this borders on being offensive and demonstrates a lack of understanding of the typical guest. My suggestion is to either nix the wine altogether or spend $10 more on a decent wine. Putting out some nice iced tea would be better.

Also, there used to be a refrigerator with water/cokes in the living room, and that has disappeared. Does it really cost that much to provide a nice amenity like this? These little things are noticed by loyal guests, and, in my view, are not intelligent changes.

On the positive side, I must say that the breakfast is still very good--egg dishes are always first-rate.

I may try Lavender again, but it won't be without hesitation. Four Sisters needs to straighten this one out, and fast.

Room Tip: The rooms outside of the main house are better.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TraveltogetherDallas
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Thibodaux, Louisiana
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This B&B is not only private and incredibly romantic, but the staff is friendly and accommodating. The breakfast is a feast and is different every day. The evening "snack" of wine, cheeses, ans fruit is a meal by itself.
The rooms are spacious and you can't beat the private courtyard. Ours had a fountain, loungers, and hot tub.
The perfect place to crash after an "exhausting" day of wine tasting. Can't recommend stronmg enough

Room Tip: Garden room with tub
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 March 2012

On a trip to Napa Valley last fall, my husband and I stayed two nights at the Lavender Inn. We wanted a nice place that was a quick walk to the heart of Yountville, and this place fit the bill perfectly.

We liked that it was not smack in the middle of town--as September is quite busy there--but more like a residential area that was a 5-minute stroll to everything Yountville has to offer.

We had a Deluxe King on the second floor; a corner room with a large bathroom and sitting room. It was very private and quiet. The decor and furnishings were the usual B&B style--comfortable, somewhat rustic, homey, and yet with modern conveniences like a gas fireplace (which we used one cool evening), iHome alarm clock, free Wi-Fi, and flatscreen TV.

The breakfast in the mornings and the afternoon wine/hors d'oeuvres were healthy, simple, filling, and delicious. The innkeepers are very friendly and gracious people, who were happy to help with reservations, advice, and recommendations.

Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed here years ago when it first opened, and not that there was anything wrong, just didn't have an interest in going back. This time, I really appreciated the room, service and location and would definitely return.

We had a courtyard room with our own private courtyard and just loved it. The room is tastefully, cheerfully decorated and loved the oversize bathroom and tub.

Happy hour was generous with a particularly good artichoke dip. Breakfast was more substantial than some of the other Four Sisters Inns. We had French Toast, Quiche, some type of lemon pound cake plus hard boiled eggs, toast, jams, good coffee. etc.

The block is charming, and it was so easy to walk into town. We dined at Bistro Jeanty...love that place. Couldn't get in to Ad Hoc that night, love that too....and Bouchon Bakery. For a small town, lots of choices.

We took a wonderful walk in the morning, and instead of going out for Happy Hour, had it on our private porch. I read, if we had been interested, that we could have used the Hot Tub and pool at their sister place Maison Fleurie. We won't wait so long to return.

Room Tip: We loved our king with a private courtyard. I didn't see what the house rooms looked like.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 March 2012

After thoroughly investigating local Inns and hotels, my husband and I recently stayed at the Lavender Inn for my birthday. It was a wonderful experience from top to bottom. Better than I could have dreamed! The English Innkeeper made our stay perfect! We rode the Inn's bicycles everyday through gorgeous vineyards and came back to the Inn just in time for wine tastings and homemade cookies and cheeses. We took late night jacuzzis under the stars and then came inside to our warm and cozy spacious room with fireplace. The breakfasts were substantial and delicous including an amazing egg dish that I want the recipe for! We walked to several delicious restaurants and drove to local vineyards for wine tastings, all recommended by the Innkeeper. We will definitely be back! Highly recommend!

Room Tip: The outside rooms were wonderful with jacuzzis on the patios and fireplaces in each room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple