“Great Hollywood Experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cairo, Egypt
“Great Hollywood Experience”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My stay at Mondrian was during a trip I had with my wife on our 10th anniversary and it was our first time to visit Western United States. Actually our stay followed our trip to Vegas where we stayed at the Wynn which is a real quality benchmark but the Mondrian came up to expectations despite our high ceiling after the Wynn stay.
First of all the staff deal in a bit of informal manner which makes it feel really intimate and freindly also they were very responsive to all our requests and were always keen to keep us satisfied.
Also, the restraunt and room service quality which was at a very high standard and the food was excellent.
Best thing about this hotel was the comfort of its beds which was superb even when bencmarked with many upclass hotels we stayed at in many parts of the world.
The one issue is thatthe vallet are late in bringing out our car (they kept appologizing about it) but that is due to pressure those guys have so it was easy and simple going forward as we just rang them from our room and then we had our car on time.
Finally, some people think that this is just a hip place for party animals or super models but that is not true as we had a very casual trip and still felt alot of modern luxury in the place which is just different from a Ritz or Four Seasons style of luxury.
To summarize that is a hotel in a great location wit great staff in all departments (from reservation to check out) and comfort which is a bit on the pricey side but you get the quality for what you pay for.

Thanks Mondrian for a great experience
Mohamed Tolba

1 Thank mtolba
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I am glad we were able to provide you with a memorable experience. I actually remember helping you with your boxes! It was our pleasure having you with us. Please reach out to me the next time you are in Los Angeles. Best, Chloe Linder
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Berkshire
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here on the recommendation of my boyfriend who has spent many nights in the infamous Skybar. Having read many other reviews of this hotel, I was expecting to be disappointed and sadly we were.

The location of the hotel is great, and the lobby certainly has the wow factor. We have stayed at other Morgan Group hotels (St Martins Lane and The Sanderson in London) and this hotel certainly has a similar feel to those decor wise. However, it doesn't quite have the finesse sadly. I would say this is def more a 4 star hotel in comparison.

The room was certainly great for the price - it is very spacious and modern. The TV is in the full length mirror which looked very cool! We also had a view over the pool which was nice.

However, it clearly hasn't had much love for a while, as the decor was looking tired and worn. Most of the cupboard drawers didn't close properly, the bathroom door wouldn't stay closed at all (we had to wedge it shut with a towel underneath whenever either of us needed the loo!) and the shower was rubbish - a watering can springs to mind!) The bathroom is very dark, and our aircon didnlt work properly. All minor points in isolation, but collectively they spoilt our overall perception.

It was also VERY noisy at night. We did overlook the pool/bar so this may have been the reason, but we were very high up and I imagine whichever room you have you will have this problem.

Skybar is def worth visiting - the views are stunning, and the drinks fab. The serice however is shocking! It took forever to order drinks and for them to arrive. Asia De Cuba is also wonderful (I have eaten there in London before) but the menu was very limited in comparison.

Overall this hotel is great if you want to bump into a celebrity, but I wouldn't recommend it for a luxurious stay. Having viewed other hotels in this price bracket I think there are better ones to choose from.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms overlooking the pool if you can - it may be a bit quieter.
1 Thank Hollysam
Thank you for your loyalty with our company. I am sad to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at Mondrian. I appreciate you bringing the condition of the furniture in your room to my attention. It is very important to us that the appearance and functionality of all furniture in the room is in great condition. Overall, I am glad to hear you enjoyed Skybar and Asia de Cuba. Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to work with my teams to address the service issues encountered during your stay. I still hope Mondrian and our other properties remain at the top of your list for hotel stays! Regards, Chloe Linder
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

stayed in a studio suite.
room was large. sky bar was great.
asia de cuba restaurant was fantastic.
nice cafes/hotels in walking distance.
You do need to hire a car to see things in lax. taxis were easy from the hotel, but hard to find in order to get back.
got a very good deal on the room through expedia

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed Asia de Cuba, Skybar, and the location of the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Mondrian in the near future. Best, Chloe Linder
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at the Mondrian and was very dissapointed by a few things.

The bad:
- Banging noise all night from the AC system
- Very small bathroom
- Hotel staff a bit on the rude side
- Absolutely horrible and slow internet service. Goes down a lot, plus they charge $10 per day PER device (i.e. if you use an iPhone + Laptop, they charge you twice). Did I mention it's extremely slow and that the signal is very weak
- The front desk staff offered to upgrade our room for a fee ($30 per night), then the bill showed it was $40 a night. Corrected it after a little argument
- Slow room service
- Nobody at front desk told me that there is free coffee in the morning in the lobby, so ended up paying $19 for a pot of coffee by room service
- Not enough towels in the room, only 2 bath towels, 1 bathrobe (why not 2??)

Good:
- Gorgeous room, well decorated
- Comfortable bed and duvet
- Nice TV
- Cute little wetbar
- Incredible view of downtown and Holywood
- Received amazing service from Valet attendants (always quick to get car out, help with directions, etc.)

What's surprising is that nobody asked me how my stay was when I checked out at the front desk. The only person who did ask, was the Valet. Since the valet service was very good, I only had praise for his team. This hotel has a lot of potential, it just needs to get a better grasp of improving the overall customer experience (internet, room layout, fix that banging noise, better training for staff).

Room Tip: The King Studio is a great size, you don't need to get anything bigger unless you plan on entert...
2 Thank WldTrvlrmtl
Thank you very much for selecting our hotel for your recent stay. I am glad the valet was attentive and provided you with a high level of service. I am disappointed to hear that the rest of the hotel staff was not as attentive. We appreciate your feedback, as this is key to help us succeed moving forward. We would love for you to come back and give us another chance. Please reach out to me the next time you are in Los Angeles. Sincerely, Chloe Linder
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We were in a group of 8, we all had great rooms and great service. The concierge desk was excellent!! they booked us tables at restaurants, a hire car and helped with trips to tourist spots. The staff were friendly, helpful and knew what they were doing. The skybar was beautiful, if only we had time to relax here longer! The only downfall of the stay was the $450 they took from our travelex card as a hold for the room. If this had been at the end of trip when funds were low it would not have been possible. Most hotels offer a cash deposit.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
ChloeGEM, Guest Relations Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I also really appreciate your nice comment regarding our Concierge team. Hope to see you back very soon. Best, Chloe Linder