New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
San Francisco, California
“Absolutely perfect!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

It was such an experience at Petit Ermitage to spend some time , either it is so elegant, so cozy and or yet a first class boutique hotel if you are nearby West Hollywood maybe in the whole L.A city. Definitely a high reccomend place, and all the price you pay for this hotel is worth every penny. See you soon Petit:))

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ozgur P
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Ozgur,

thank you for giving us a perfectly short and sweet review. We're so very happy you enjoyed Petit Ermitage, its style, coziness and service. Hope to see you back soon and let us know if there is ever anything we can set up for you ahead of time!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Petit Ermitage is one of the nicest little hotels I've ever stayed in! I first stayed there when I came to LA for Pride in early June and I chose it for its location right around the corner from all of the shops and nightlife on Santa Monica Blvd. in the heart of West Hollywood. But I instantly fell in love with its charm and exceptional level of customer service.

For starters, before you even enter the lobby, the entrance to the hotel makes you feel like you're stepping back in time into an Art Nouveau pied-a-terre. The theme of "La Vie Boheme" continues throughout the property, from the French music and spicy, yet not overpowering, incense in the lobby to the circus-themed decor and brass and leather accents in the hallways and rooms, to the rooftop garden/cafe/bar/pool. Every room is either a junior suite or larger, so each has a sitting area with fireplace and balcony in addition to the bedroom area. Some suites even have a little dining/breakfast area.

The attention to detail that went into designing and furnishing Petit Ermitage truly makes me feel like I'm staying at someone's home and not at a stodgy, run-of-the-mill chain hotel. I've eaten breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks at the rooftop restaurant and every time feels like a magical experience. The pool is open 24 hours and is especially charming after dark, when you can socialize with fellow travelers under the stars.

I have stayed at Petit Ermitage twice and both times I brought friends back for a nightcap in my suite after last call. And on every occasion, they have been so impressed and have fallen in love with the hotel just as I have. For all of these reasons and more, I consider Petit Ermitage my home away from home and I will make every effort to stay here whenever I'm in LA.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan O
Dear Jonathan,

reading your review just makes me happy, sorry have to say it like it is ;)
Reason being is, it is exactly what our vision was when creating Petit Ermitage, to make this a home away from home for all our fellow travellers and for each one of you to become a part of our Petit family to lounge, enjoy the art and a nightcap under the stars, swimming in the heated salt water pool or get to know us and other guests while relaxing on the firedeck.
I already loved this hotel before reading your review and your account, but you just made me fall in love again some more, who knew this was possible?! Thank you very much and I guarantee you we are always striving and working on making every experience as magical and beautiful as possible, and just as you described it. See you again soon and next time you are with us, please have the front desk give me a call so I can welcome you personally or simply make your reservation through me.

Thank you again and until next time on our private rooftop club!
Twinsburg, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

This is located on a secluded street in West Hollywood, but has easy access to shopping and restaurants on North Robertson. The staff is friendly and the private rooftop area is nice. The service at the restaurant was not that great, probably because I am not a celebrity and there were some there. My waiter was not attentive at all, didn't offer bread, dessert or check on me. It was disappointing. Parking is pricey. Rooms have ample space. I had a blacony, no no furniture to sit on it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ann K, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear JLavi,

thank you so much for writing your review and giving us detailed feedback, I personally really appreciate it and I am deeply sorry about the service experience you have had up on our private rooftop club. We strive to make every guest a part of our family and take care of any and every wish they may have, no matter where they are from or who they are, and I am saddened to hear that your experience was not in line with what our staff works so hard on. Of course at times it gets busy and things get overlooked and mistakes get made, but please know this is only because they are human, not because they chose a celebrity over you. I've already addressed this with our restaurant managers and we are constantly training and retraining our staff to meet the highest of service quality expectations, as is our standard here. Please let me know the next time you are back in the West Hollywood area as I would love to invite you back to see what our hotel and staff is truly about.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Petit Ermitage is a boutique hotel just a few blocks off Sunset, within easy walk of Viper Club, Roxy, etc. Go other way down Sunset and you'll find exclusive shops and a better choice of restaurants in area. So it's a very excellent location in Hollywood area.

They did an upgrade for us (we didn't ask for it) to a larger room, which was very nice of them. Our room was clean with nice amenities. I don't think many of the rooms on lower floors have very good views, as there is an apartment bldg on one side and not much to look at on street side. Maybe on 4th floor some of rooms have better views. But no big deal.

Bathroom was excellent. Clean. Lots of hot water. They could give you more towels. Many hotels even Hamptons and Holiday Inns give you 4+ bath towels. Petit Ermitage only gives you two.

Great original artwork decorates the halls. We went to each floor to look at it. It's amazing work. They should develop a catalogue of the art in their hotel - it's fantastic work!

King size bed was comfortable. Air conditioning worked well. And rooftop bar and lounging was pretty cool.

Only issue - and why it did not get a 5 star from us - was how they go about re-stocking room each day. We drink coffee. On second day they did not replace dirty coffee cups and did not replace creamers or sugar. So we had to go searching for creamer and sugar and clean coffee cups at 8am. They brought them to us but housekeeping should do it. Next day the same thing happened. For a hotel that promotes their service and at these nightly rates this should not be overlooked. They also wanted to charge us $3.50 per cup of coffeee we made in our room. There is no notice of that in the rooms and no posted price for coffee in the rooms. They waived the fee after we protested.

We should also point out that parking is $32 per day. And it's Valet only, which means you're tipping someone every time they get your car. And they park your car in the building. Enter and exit a few times a day and you're paying tips of $20+ per day. So you're paying upwards of $50+ per day to park. Keep this additional expense in mind.

Room Tip: 4th floor to get a decent view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Mark W.,

first of let me say thank you for writing such a detailed review. Feedback is like gold to us and we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know all about your experience. So let me address the not so pleasant part of your experience first. I deeply apologize about the mishap with your coffee and housekeeping service. We do refresh everything daily, and our coffee is of course complimentary. I've already personally followed up with the staff that was present during your stay and I assure you that this is by no means the standard of the hotel and will not happen again. As far as our towels go, we do try to be as green as possible and have changed the standards for the hotel to be in line with what most guest's require, and will gladly place more towels into the room when a guest asks for it. But no need to worry, we've already placed all comments into your guest profile with us and will make sure you will have plenty of towels on your next getaway.

I'm very happy you enjoyed our complimentary upgrade, the suite, bathroom and the location of Petit Ermitage. We are very conveniently located right between Sunset and Santa Monica Blvd and it seems you got to experience not just the hotel, but the whole West Hollywood area and all the goodies it has to offer. I hope we get the chance to welcome you to our home again and show you the true Petit Ermitage experience, including of course, a flawless service, lots of coffee, towels and a beautiful private rooftop club. Please contact me directly, when you do decide to come back to West Hollywood so I can personally guarantee that all will be 150% percent to your satisfaction.
Jackson, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed here the first night of an 8 day journey through Southern California. It is very whimsical and what I'd call shabby or boho chic. I was traveling with my teenage daughter, her friend, my almost 21 year old daughter and my husband. Let's just say that it would have been perfect for a romantic get away, not necessarily a family vacation. That said...I have to say that the staff made us feel respected, cared for and definitely not out of place. The suite was large, the beds comfortable, the bathroom very nice with an amazing dual shower head!my only complaint was the very poor air conditioner. The hotel is very near a very vibrant block of gay bars. Not our scene but interesting. The highlight was spending an hour or so with my girls on one of the amazing rooftop couches sharing a faux fur blanket, sipping a glass of wine. I also spent a quiet moment drinking an amazing cup of coffee the morning we left while my family got ready for the day. Overall, a very nice place. Small, quaint, exactly what a boutique hotel should be.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank soccermompam
, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, 15 July 2012
Dear Pam,

thank you for your review, it really made me smile. We definitely cater more towards romantic getaways than family vacations, however, I am so very pleased to hear my staff took such great care of you and that you got to enjoy the private rooftop club the way it was invisioned and meant to be: lounging on one of our day beds, wrapped up in a cozy blanket and sipping a glass of wine, or two. That still to this day is my favourite way to exerience Petit Ermitage. My father's favourite experience is exactly what you did as well: enjoying a nice good cup of coffee in the morning watching the humming birds in our Garden while everyone else gets ready. I have also already noted and passed on your feedback about our airconditioning, as this is certainly not the standard of our hotel or the suites, so I am terribly sorry about this inconvenience. Next time, please let us know right away if there is anything less than perfect in your suite and we will take care of it immediatley. Once again, thank you so much for your detailed review. I hope you are enjoying the rest of your California trip with your family and we would love to welcome you back to Petit Ermitage in the future. Safe travels!