“not a place to call home.”

Palihouse West Hollywood
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
San Francisco, California
“not a place to call home.”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

While Palihouse has a cool retro vibe, a great location in WeHo, and has a lot going for it, there's a missing ingredient: service.

The hotel has a cozy courtyard which serves as resturaunt, and the lobby / lounge all co-exist together. Think W hotel living room.

However, instead of a party for you, the hotel was hosting "private events" all week, with the bulletin stating, they'd provided us with earplugs to help with the disturbance. What about "sorry the entire lobby is taken up for a private fashion show where you're not welcome"?

Since the resturaunt was closed to us, we ate across the street, and upon re-entering the hotel, were stoped by two typical LA girls with clipboards who stopped us and said they were closed for a private event.

"we're staying here," I said. She look dazed. Oh?

Besides, they also called us in the am to move the car- parked in their garage- and hustled us out at check out time. Why couldn't they apologize for not welcoming us and offer to move the car themselves.

With a lot going for it, the hotel needs to decide if the want to be an events center or a welcoming venue for overnight guests. And until that time, they won't live up to their residential claim-- it's not home to me.

• Stayed October 2011
6 Thank AndrewCA94920
PalihouseManagement, Manager at Palihouse West Hollywood, responded to this review, 27 October 2011
Dear AndrewCA94920,
We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and apologize that your stay was anything less than welcoming. On the date of your visit, we were hosting a fashion event in our courtyard area. While the courtyard was closed for that special event, the lobby and lounge were open for our guests and serving dinner. I apologize that information was not properly communicated to you, but we are pleased you were able to walk to a nearby restaurant. Upon your return, all of our hotel guests were placed on a special list at our door and there should not have been an issue gaining entry. The manner in which you were received will be addressed with our staff. We are always improving and we sincerely appreciate your honest feedback. While we do host special events at our venue, our hotel guests are absolutely our first priority and we are very sorry that you did not feel that way during your visit.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Arizona City, Arizona
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Noisy comments from other traveller is true especially during dinner time... something that will stay as this is the hotel source of income...
Expensive...from the hotel room to car park. Hotel charge USD36.00 per night !!! They / Expedia provide this hotel as top pick/best due to room per price but the hotel re-coup back using car park charges. Hotel should provide free parking!!!
Room stay that less than 3 nights does NOT, I repeat does not come with room service cleaning !!! What a joke this hotel doing their biz....
Privacy while taking bath also issue with the glass pane covered by wood decor that has gaps in between that allow someone to peek from outside or able inside the bathroom if lights on.

Room Tip: Check parking fees and room cleaning service term.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Arizona01
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I loved the uniqueness of this hotel! Not only is it incredibly stylish and cool, but i had the feeling i had discovered a hidden gem in the heart of West Hollywood. It feels like a home away from home and has a fabulous bar and restaurant in the wonderful central courtyard (best burger in LA!!!). I had a standard classic room which was not only a fantastic size but had the luxury of a sitting room and kitchen. I have read a few other reviews on trip advisor and I'm surprised as the service i received was fantastic. I agree there can be noise on the weekend, but they provide ear plugs in the room as well as invite you to any event they are holding there. I love this place and I will definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank NYCKIKI
NYC
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I’ve been staying at Palihouse for a few weeks in a two bedroom loft residence – the unit is absolutely amazing – it is huge, 2,000 square feet – it was a free upgrade due to availability, and it has killer views of the Hollywood hills!! The décor and style are unique, comfortable, and more than charming. There is even a washer/drier in my suite...My favorite part of the day is coming in after work and relaxing in the carrera marble soaking tub - I am a New Yorker, typically faced paced so I REALLY like my personal space. Palihouse totally gets me. The staff really understand the type of service I look for because they don't go overboard with a butler, 10 bellman and a door person, yet, rather they know what I like because they talk to me, get to know me. They have exceeded my expectations in delivering whatever I might need from an Equinox day pass to getting me dinner reservations last minute on a very busy night (and of course the free upgrade). I can refer to their staff by name if I want and they recognize me which totally makes me feel at home. Also, the lounge and courtyard brasserie offer a lively night out & good food, but not in the cheesy LA fashion many other sunset strip hotels can’t seem to avoid…I will never stay anywhere else but Palihouse when I’m in LA. I'm so glad I found it online.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Ava064
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Fact: I arrived to check in at the Palihouse for two rooms that I had reserved and confirmed. Upon check-in, I was told they were oversold and had only one room. I told them I had confirmation for 2 rooms (with the confirmation email). They half-heartedly apologized and told me there was nothing they could do and suggested that our entire party share the one room they had with roll away beds or that our party split up and stay at another hotel. I was beyond myself as this was unacceptable. While they searched another hotel, I stepped away to book another hotel myself. I let them know that I handled it on my own. They proceeded to tell me that they were, after all, able to accommodate the 2 rooms. I said already booked another hotel that required payment and would be leaving. I was told that I would still be charged for the one room they did have for me. I told them this was unacceptable and was told I had to speak to their Director of Sales by calling her cell (she was on travel) to change this. I called her multiple times to no avail. Finally, the one person at the hotel ( a young gentleman who was the only person at the hotel that seemed to have any remorse and was quite funny), told me that he received permission to not charge me.

Needless to say, I will never book at this hotel, nor recommend to anyone. The the thing that bothered me most was the unprofessional manner in which they handled the situation.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business