See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Many years ago my husband and I came to the Ryde Hotel for Sunday brunch on a hot summer morning. The charm of the hotel lured us, brunch sounded lovely in an art deco dining room, we were hungry. Upon entry, we were told the electricity/AC had gone out, but we decided to stay. Most of the buffet items were gone and not replaced, the hot food was cold/the cold food was hot, but the champagne was flowing and what we did have to eat was pretty good and we left in good spirits vowing to return on a better day and give them a second chance. We even pardoned the well-worn furnishings and sagging foundation and structural problems on the way to the parking lot. So, fast forward to yesterday, and our second try at Sunday brunch for which we were so looking forward to as it was my husbands birthday. We had made reservations through the phone number given on the website for 10:00 am. Strangely it was an answering machine taking reservations, no one answered. That should have been a portent of things to come. So, we got dressed up, drove the 30 miles from Sacramento through the delta, got there early, parked and walked up the concrete stairs to the front door. Mind you, the sagging foundation had been patched since our last visit and the stucco repair was fractured more, never fixed. We enter the reception area and see an office area with bars over the desk, two attendants talking amongst themselves, and no greeting. We walked around the downstairs to bide our time and meet more eager diners as 10 am drew near. After awhile we tried to make eye contact with the folks in the imprisoned office, but they were not interested in their guests and skittered off into some recess behind the desk to avoid us. It's now 10:10 and no staff to be found, dining room is dark and locked. Finally, my husband calls out to an image walking in the dark background who seems to be a cook and informs us that they are having problems in the kitchen and that brunch is cancelled, but we could be given some sort of easy egg breakfast in the back if we were hungry. But the kitchen is down where you cook eggs? Things happen, we get it, but a second time on a second visit? Would have been even more understanding had staff showed some sort of customer service and let us known what was up in an apologetic voice. Maybe even a handwritten sign on the door. We had really looked forward to this experience and had invested some time and effort. Clearly this business is surviving on the laurels of a past and not a future as the hotel seems to go from owner to new owner with deferred maintenance and poor management. This poor, sweet charming spot needs so much work after being run into a hole. A sickening shame! Very disappointing. Considering the visible structural conditions of the building and reading the reviews after we left, maybe leaving when we did saved our lives!!! The Ryde Hotel ghost gets five stars/the current owners get a fat zero!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RunningInGrace
Reviewed 18 May 2017

Perhaps because it was Easter, the food offerings were not quite the same as past visits and were a little disappointing. We will visit once again when it is not a special day to see if our past experience it still there and the crowd dining for the day made the difference.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2017

The Sunday Buffet had all and everything, food wise, you could ever imagine. Arrived around 2 o'clock. Definitely too late to gain the best from staff and food. Very chaotic; waited ages for a waiter to take our drinks order; no one to inform us of what food resided under the multitude of covered dishes. But food was worth the wait. Didn't stay at hotel so cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: If you go to the Rydes to have lunch on a weekend, get there early and be willing to tolerate possibly slow service.
Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2017

We were there with a Road Scholar trip: Birding and Ecology in the California Delta by Boat. The trip was really excellent, and for our purposes, the location of the hotel was perfect: we simply crossed the highway, boarded a boat with a couple of engaging naturalists, and cruised the waterways.
The history of the hotel was appealing, too - much preferable to a perfect, newly built place with no character. It had been grand in its day. The staff were friendly & attentive. Otherwise, the rest of the trip had to compensate, and it did. Without the trip, I wouldn't choose to stay at this hotel.
The food, served buffet style, was mostly marginal to poor, often dry, cold when it should be hot, sometimes reaching average, never outstanding. Disappointing.
The small size of our room did not excuse the lack of basic furnishings. There was a bed, one chair, and a tiny table. This left enough space for two small bedside stands, but none were present. They would have provided a surface to put a book, a clock, watch & earrings, an underwear drawer. Having just a bedside stand would have made life so much more convenient! Instead, everything went on the floor or competed for space on the tiny table, out of reach of the bed. I was grateful for a few hangers in the closet to hang jackets. Also in the closet was a luggage rack, but no space to set it up.
One side of our double bed had a lamp (the other had no light), and there was a portable electrical heater that kept the room cozy. Of the remaining available electrical outlets, half were dead, which made us glad our room was next to a fire-escape. We took turns plugging in our electronics. Wifi was reliable downstairs only, not in the room.
The bathroom was relatively large; I wished for some of that square footage in the bedroom. Room and bathroom were old but clean enough, no complaints there.

Room Tip: No elevators. Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vicki P
Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

I have debated writing a review because this will not be a good one and this hotel clearly provides employment for local people. The staff are the hotels best asset, (hence two stars), at least the ones I dealt with. The brunch was pretty good too. Beyond that the hotel is in such a state of disrepair that I feel compelled to warn others. There is no central heat so portable heaters are provided. From a fire safety standpoint this is concerning when clearly some of the smoke detectors are non functional. There are no elevators or ADA features. My room was filthy-dried blood on the box spring (Im a nurse I know it when I see it) and the room hadn't been vacuumed in a very long time. There were long dark curly hairs under my sheets (I have blonde hair). Linens were old, mismatched and questionably clean.
Truly in all my travels for work in developing countries I have never been so grossed out. Even the most basic hotels and guest houses in Africa where I have stayed are clean, here no.
We saw men working on the outside wedding facilities which I am sure is great but the inside needs attention-DESPERATELY. Someone save this historic place, please! It has so much potential.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends