See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 March 2017

The Sunday Buffet had all and everything, food wise, you could ever imagine. Arrived around 2 o'clock. Definitely too late to gain the best from staff and food. Very chaotic; waited ages for a waiter to take our drinks order; no one to inform us of what food resided under the multitude of covered dishes. But food was worth the wait. Didn't stay at hotel so cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: If you go to the Rydes to have lunch on a weekend, get there early and be willing to tolerate possibly slow service.
Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2017

We were there with a Road Scholar trip: Birding and Ecology in the California Delta by Boat. The trip was really excellent, and for our purposes, the location of the hotel was perfect: we simply crossed the highway, boarded a boat with a couple of engaging naturalists, and cruised the waterways.
The history of the hotel was appealing, too - much preferable to a perfect, newly built place with no character. It had been grand in its day. The staff were friendly & attentive. Otherwise, the rest of the trip had to compensate, and it did. Without the trip, I wouldn't choose to stay at this hotel.
The food, served buffet style, was mostly marginal to poor, often dry, cold when it should be hot, sometimes reaching average, never outstanding. Disappointing.
The small size of our room did not excuse the lack of basic furnishings. There was a bed, one chair, and a tiny table. This left enough space for two small bedside stands, but none were present. They would have provided a surface to put a book, a clock, watch & earrings, an underwear drawer. Having just a bedside stand would have made life so much more convenient! Instead, everything went on the floor or competed for space on the tiny table, out of reach of the bed. I was grateful for a few hangers in the closet to hang jackets. Also in the closet was a luggage rack, but no space to set it up.
One side of our double bed had a lamp (the other had no light), and there was a portable electrical heater that kept the room cozy. Of the remaining available electrical outlets, half were dead, which made us glad our room was next to a fire-escape. We took turns plugging in our electronics. Wifi was reliable downstairs only, not in the room.
The bathroom was relatively large; I wished for some of that square footage in the bedroom. Room and bathroom were old but clean enough, no complaints there.

Room Tip: No elevators. Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vicki P
Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

I have debated writing a review because this will not be a good one and this hotel clearly provides employment for local people. The staff are the hotels best asset, (hence two stars), at least the ones I dealt with. The brunch was pretty good too. Beyond that the hotel is in such a state of disrepair that I feel compelled to warn others. There is no central heat so portable heaters are provided. From a fire safety standpoint this is concerning when clearly some of the smoke detectors are non functional. There are no elevators or ADA features. My room was filthy-dried blood on the box spring (Im a nurse I know it when I see it) and the room hadn't been vacuumed in a very long time. There were long dark curly hairs under my sheets (I have blonde hair). Linens were old, mismatched and questionably clean.
Truly in all my travels for work in developing countries I have never been so grossed out. Even the most basic hotels and guest houses in Africa where I have stayed are clean, here no.
We saw men working on the outside wedding facilities which I am sure is great but the inside needs attention-DESPERATELY. Someone save this historic place, please! It has so much potential.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2016

No heat. No hot water. Came to attend a nearby wedding, and was clear the staff knew there were few options nearby, as they were far from helpful. Was told that I had to run the shower for a while to get hot water (they did agree that there was no heat). Ran shower for 10 minutes, no hot water, but learned shower had a leak, which flooded the bathroom. Toilet filled with brown water and didn't flush. tried to dry my hair, and blew out every outlet in the room. Oh, and the continental breakfast the following morning was non existent. They lost reservations other family members had made. the whole thing was a disaster. Would have almost been funny if they didn't charge us at check in. terrible. Worth staying somewhere nicer and driving an extra 10 minutes!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank awh425
Reviewed 1 December 2016

My sweetie had long wished to stay here and we were excited to go. We made our reservation with a really nice young woman by phone, and we knew since we were going to be there early in the week, that we were going to be the only guests at the hotel.

That said, we arrived at 5:30 pm to a cold, empty hotel. The Dining Room lights were out, the Registration area gated off, and our key and a reservation letter left on the counter. The door had been left ajar for us to get in and no one else was there, and no emergency phone numbers were provided. So much for having a nice dinner there too!

When we found our room, we were dismayed that it was really run down. There was spackle in a giant hole under one of the windows, that had not been painted over. The decor was 1980's lavender/grey on the walls with broken plastic blinds, paint that had not been touched up in years, a dirty old carpet, and crazy red & black coverlet and pillows, with a huge grey polyester drape above the bed. One could argue that was bordello decor, but eww! The "metallic" surface along the outside of the tub and on the table tops was stippled paint The furniture was mismatched and random, and there was a cigarette burn on the sheets. The room hadn't been vacuumed, and it just felt unloved and dirty. There is no way we were taking a shower or a bath there. And the jacuzzi tub jets had no covers on them. I was concerned about getting electrocuted. (When reading some of the other reviews here tonight, we DID have the best room, as we didn't have the mold and wood rot some other guests experienced!)

We made the best of it, and laughed at our adventure. It DID feel like the Shining, from the moment we got on the 2nd floor. When we went to bed, the mattress turned out to be a big chunk of foam covered with a flat sheet (which only partially covered the surface) - not even a mattress pad! UGH!

The capper was that a smoke detector started going off in the very early morning. I incorporated it into my dreams, but when we woke up, we both heard it, and started to investigate. We ended up evacuating our room and calling 911. The local Walnut Grove Fire Department came quickly and were really nice and thorough. Some smoke detectors had gone off but there was no fire or CO2. They couldn't believe that there was no way to reach the owners either!

We certainly weren't going to stay there for a 2nd night. So I got a local to recommend we stay at Regalio's in Isleton. They were just lovely and made a special trip to meet us at their inn and get us registered and settled. Please read my rave review for Regalio's Dine & Sleep Inn in Isleton.

We looked up reviews on Yelp and saw that many people had tried to get refunds from the current owners to no avail. We did find a young man there (who finally showed up at 9:30 am) who said he would talk to the owner (Daniel) and that they wouldn't charge us for that night, but who knows what will happen.

We have had QUITE THE ADVENTURE and a great story to tell. But I sure hope someone pours some money into the Ryde Hotel. It has great potential but is being allowed to fall apart . . . : ( The good part was the brace of owls in the palm tree at night, and the flock of Pea Hens (Peacocks) out front in the morning. And the location on the river. But avoid it until it's cleaned up/maintained correctly.

Room Tip: There IS no "good room." We had the best one in the hotel #212 - the honeymoon suite, and it was baaaad. : (
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple