“getto hotel ::: needs major tlc”

Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Union City
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Old getto hotel ::: needs major tlc ::: wake up crowne management ::: front desk staff were great::: great snack bag on checkin but ::: i would stay else where cancelled my next night and moved to the hinn express down the road :::

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank travelz4biz

Reviewed 9 March 2011

I would recommend the san mateo ballroom to anybody to held their wedding or
birthday parties. Special thanks to the Asst. Gen. Manager Cristina Lin for personally
taking care of my wedding. Good job. I am satisfied.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Firstly, unless you are desperate, do not stay at this hotel. The lobby has been redecorated, and there are new bed linens in the rooms. But, the rooms and hotel are old and dirty. I showered with my socks on because the tub was so dirty.

But that is not the key point - on the second day at about 7am, the deadlock in my door broke and I was stuck inside. Maintenance could not get it fixed, and had to put a ladder up against the 2nd floor window and come in thru that way. But the window has a screwed in little plate that restricts it from opening. So the maintenance man on the ladder lifted one side of the window out of its track and placed it against the second window. Then he and another guy came in thru the window and proceeded to try to get the door fixed. No avail. Hinges to old to get apart, too. One maintenance man went back out the window, bumped the pane that was leaning, it fell into the room and shattered all over. My laptop was open on the table next to it and I was standing not 10 inches from where the window shattered. Luckily I didn't get cut. Not so for my laptop.

Evenutally maintenance had to bring in a power saw and cut thru the door.

Then they forced me out - with three guys standing there watching me try to pack in a hurry (even my underwear). As I struggled out with my luggage - not a single one offered to help.

I went to the front desk, explained what happened and asked for another room so I could work and finish getting dressed. The front desk person called housekeeping and told them to give me a used room, "just clean up the bathroom a little bit, don't worry about making the beds or any other cleaning, she doesn't need it". They wanted me to use a used room!

I pretty much was forced to leave the hotel about 9am, when I was supposed to be there working.

Later, they would not help me, comp me or anything. No returned calls. No calls when promised. Turns out my computer keyboard was ruined - but our IT guys were able to pull another keyboard from an older computer and replace it for free.

I had to keep calling the hotel to try to get resolution on the fact that they kicked me out early, and was always referred to the Asst Manger (you would think the Manager would care enough to talk with me himself).

She told me on the 5th try to reach her after we had talked about the incident in the past: "Oh, I didn't bother to talk with my staff about this, so can you refresh me?" You'd think they would have tried to find out why a guest had to be cut out of her room.

I called corporate Crowne Plaza twice. They helped a little. Finally, the hotel offered me a discount on my next stay there. I told them I would not be back (they did not understand why). I told them they needed to resolve this. I was not looking to have my entire stay comped (only $223). But some sort of comp for the fact that I didn't get to stay my entire time. And they broke my laptop, to boot. The Asst Manager told me she would speak to the Mgr and he would call me that day. A week later nothing - so I called corporate again and they got me $55 off my hotel bill. Considering that they should have had to pay for a new laptop, they got off easy.

There was just no real acknowledgement that anything had occured. And no one cared.

This is by far the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE that I have ever experienced. Crowne Point needs to realize that in this day and age, with hotel competition so fierce, and everyone having a voice on the web, that customer service is everything. But they don't get it, and don't care. Sad. Anyhow - don't stay in this place. It's awful.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
8  Thank TB179
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I did my homework before I stayed in this hotel (no choice, the church camp chose to be here). Overall I think the hotel is nice and good value, however, the hotel is a little bit old (as others had mentioned in their reviews), and can use some remodeling (interior) or updates. The mini-refrigirator has some noise (luckily, it happened during the morning, not at night), and the hotel's men's room (lobby area) even had graffiti, which is kind of turning me down. At the same time, their beds are really comfortable and I had a really two nights sleep in our room. Overall, good value..

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I was surprised with this hotel. All the other Crowne Plazas I have stayed at were fairly upscale. This one was borderline dump.

I went there for business and stayed in the "executive Wing". I would hate to see where the "commoners" stayed because the place was pretty disappointing. The best part of the room was the bed. The bed was decorated in Crowne Plaza fashion. Nice sheets, nice pillows. The problem is they put an extremely uncomfortable blanked under the sheets. It was like a a burly sack feel to it. It was so bad, that I had to remove the blanket from the bed and sleep under the sheets only. They provided free internet, but it was a DSL line (it only stretched about 2 feet from the outlet) and the connection was horrible. I brought my laptop and wanted to enjoy some Hulu TV shows and movies. The connection was so bad and choppy that it would allow the site to load. So I turned to the TV. It was like the reception was coming in through rabbit ears. It was so bad, that one channel (NBC) became so unwatchable that the TV indicated the signal could not be read. The bathroom was clean, but the towels were small. The lighting was horrible. Basically there was one tube light for the entire bathroom. It was very dark in the shower.

It was surprising the a Crowne Plaza. There was a Holiday Inn Express just down the street which I would have much rather preferred because it looked very new and I know they offer free continental breakfast. Crowne Plaza was offering breakfast for $14.95.

Don't be fooled by the Fitness Center pictures. It is just a room with a universal machine in it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
0.9 km away
Holiday Inn Express Union City/San Jose
19.4 km away
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakland Airport

Been to Crowne Plaza Silicon Valley North-Union City? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK