“Food has to be better for this poor level of service.”
Review of The Prospector

The Prospector
Ranked #7 of 19 Restaurants in Twain Harte
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 28 October 2017

I'd heard about the "pizza nazzi" but was undeterred. As our party of four entered, the proprietor handed us one menu with a "here". We sat ourselves and passed the menu around to decide what to order. The food is expensive, but I had high expectations. There is no service, so you have to go to the register to order. Upon ordering, I was told that plates, silverware, napkins, and water were on another table if we wanted them. The drink selection was minimal and odd (chocolate soda?). He mentioned that he won't serve a chardonnay because it doesn't go with "my food". What food does chocolate soda go with? My son wanted water, which was warm. The pizza was good, not great. He pours olive oil all over the finished product so that it is dripping wet. I guess hes' going for "eccentric" with the poor service and gruff exterior. The problem is that the food has to be very good for that to work. It's not.

Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

Refused to seat us. Only allows groups of 6 or less. Had 1 kid in a stroller that put us over the limit. Restaurant was completely empty besides us. Read the reviews afterwards... I won't eat there no matter how few people I'm with.

1  Thank bartrupel
Reviewed 5 October 2016

Nicely set on a deck, situated under trees, this is a great place for an outdoor meal in Twain Harte.

We love the owner telling us what wine to order with the pizza choices we make, and the unique (or "quirky" as others reviewers have called them) expectations in the place (e.g., buying wine by the glass, no large parties, etc.).

The pizza crust and toppings are always fresh and delicious. Personally, I like my crust a tad bit crispier…but I would NEVER ask for it cooked my way. I’m afraid I’d be kicked out of the place :-)

You must visit The Prospector at least once. After that, it’s up to you to decide how much you can take!

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

Absolutely agree with most reviews here. Service was zip, cleanliness, questionable. A virtually DIY experience as far as getting plates, cutlery, glasses, opening your own wine goes. We had the Pepe and the Verdure pizza - they were super tasty. It's a unique experience. There's definitely a pretence here but it's not what we all would expect from a restaurant - kinda fun if you expect a bit of attitude!

Reviewed 30 July 2016

We were a bit unsure about this restaurant based on the exterior appearance but decided to try it out. While the service was slightly unorthodox, the pizza dinner was delicious and did not disappoint.