“GREAT Sushi!”
Review of MakiAli

MakiAli
Ranked #39 of 120 Restaurants in Truckee
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 35
Description: Makiali started with the simple idea of wanting a great local place to have Sushi and other amazing Asian offerings here in Truckee. All that was needed was the right spot to do just that. Truckee, and the surrounding North Tahoe area, loves Sushi. There are folks that would eat it every day, or so it's been said. Makiali's mantra is to serve up the freshest, tastiest Sushi and other Asian bites with the friendliest service, in the coolest space smack in the middle of town that's easy to get to from every direction. And Japanese pub you ask? In Japan it's called Izakaya...and they are everywhere. Izakaya are small pubs that folks stop in to regularly for not just a great beverage, but for "bites" that reflect the foods and flavors of Asia and beyond. They are where friends gather to catch up, unwind, start or end an evening, or grab a quick meal on the run. They're convenient, friendly, affordable, and part of everyday life. They reflect the local community and the diversity of those who frequent. That's Makiali.
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

I went here twice during a five day trip to the Tahoe area. The sushi is fresh, innovative and absolutely delicious! Try the Friday and Saturday rolls! Dragon Balls are also very good. Service was good. I will be returning every time I visit Truckee!

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I've been here several times and have never had anything but outstanding service and food!! Truly amazing
to be in our mountain town and have such fresh fish! The owner Ali does an amazing job, feel so fortunate we don't have to go to Reno for sushi any more!! And their happy hour is excellent!!! Don't go without trying the Dragon Balls, they're so goooood!!

Reviewed 10 July 2017

My family and I just left the Donner Marina and decided we were hungry. We'd driven by MakiAli everyday since we got here and decided we were going to try it before we left.

So when we first walked up it was quite crowded... it's very quaint with about 5-6 tables and then 10 or so seats at the sushi bar, which is where we sat and chatted up Shane, one of the two Sushi Chefs working that night.

For starters we had the usual appetizers of edamame, gyoza, Tako salad and last minute I added the BBQ Albacore and OMG it was the bomb. It was so tasty, with a hint of spice on the backend and fork tender. It was my favorite part of the meal.

I was a little disappointed they didn't have the beef ramen noodles, but we did get the Friday Night roll, which was so good with the miso ginger sauce that complmented the unagi and cucumber perfectly. The nigiri was fresh and delicious and the Ebi was presented in a way we have never seen, a whole shrimp cut down the middle and cut side faced down on the rice. I have to get the picture from my husband so I can add to my post later. And Shane hooked my husband up with a tobiko roll that was half spicy tobiko and half regular tobiko. My husband said it was amazing and since I'm allergic to tobiko I'll take his word for it.

We also ordered the chicken and fried rice for our daughter. The rice was flavored just perfect, not too salty and the rice cooked perfectly (we've had fried rice that was either over cooked in the pan or just not cooked enough and was hard). And on top of that they put a little chopped cabbage and green onion and then 2 small skewers place on top. Don't worry there is plenty of chicken to go with the rice.

I highly recommend coming here and although it may be quaint in size the food delivers a huge amount of flavor!

Reviewed 8 May 2017

If the fish sushi follows the trend then this is an amazing place. And all the chefs are round eyes.

Reasonable prices and very popular with locals, so getting there early may not help. But it's worth the wait.

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Best food, freshest fish and great staff. The menu is super interesting, the rolls are some of the most unusual and delicious you'll ever find.