“Great hotel, good base for Home Depot Centre”

Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance/South Bay
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Torrance
Manchester
“Great hotel, good base for Home Depot Centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is a 15 minute drive to the Home Depot Sports Centre and was an ideal base for our trip to a sports event there.

The hotel is good, big rooms, big comfy beds and my room had a big sofa too. The work space is ideal as there is a big chair and pull out desk so you don't have to face the wall.

There is a good shower over the bath and plenty of towels and pillows.

The only criticism is the soundproofing between rooms. It is very easy to hear your neighbours TV's and when an overweight person checked in upstairs the ceiling was shaking.

The hotel has a small pool deck and jacuzzi, a tiny workout room and the bonus of a laundry room.

The only downside was the catering, there are no real meal options at the hotel, but there are a few diners and restaurant options closer to the Home Depot, so it was important to plan time for eating out. There is a fridge in the bedroom though so with the coffee machine it would be possible to take your own cereal and juice for quicker breakfasts in the morning.

The hotel also served Starbucks coffee and had a good range of snacks and lunch time options in the small deli cafe.

I wouldn't stay here for a holiday, unless using it as a base for exploring i suppose, but it was good for what we needed it for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor looking over the pool.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sportychick1977
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

The hotel is very clean, the hotel is very nice. All staff are very professional. Food is great. Excellent hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
North Richland Hills, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed 7 nights in this hotel when my daughter's high school marching band was to march in the Tournament of Roses Parade on 1/1/11. We wanted to stay close to the kids without staying WITH the kids. This hotel was relatively quiet, but some people who were there to go to the Rose Bowl game were staying at this hotel and they were quite loud. Also, both of the very small washing machines were out of order. We had to find a laundromat to do laundry since we were there for 8 days. We never used the pool or hot tub, so I can't review that. I would consider staying here again. It was clean with free parking and free wifi.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MandyMcCain
Huntington Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed overnight at the Courtyard by Marriot LA Torance South Bay in November of 2011 during an educational conference which was held at the hotel. They offered us great rates for the rooms at $99 a night for a Queen suite with a sofa, entertainment area, queen bed with canopy, complementary parking and internet, etc.
When I first entered the lobby I was cheered to see that they had already tastefully decorated the area for the holidays with understated greenery and trimmings. The check in process was lightening fast, the clerk was quite friendly and efficient and notified me that Happy Hour had been extended in the lounge (other side of the lobby) until after the game (I'm not a sports fan so I'm not even certain what game was on but it sounded delightful and very friendly and hospitable that they had extended Happy Hour with 1/2 price drinks when they could have chosen to make a killing on the revelers enjoying the game instead).
However; I was more interested in the internet and getting ready for my conference. The clerk advised me as to how to log on in my room (one could also log on in the common areas either with ones own laptops or the computers provided in the Marriot business area off of the lounge and she pointed out the common business area computers and printers) and I headed to my room.
My little suite was a touch of HEAVEN! There was this delightful four poster bed with a canopy and the promised couch with multiple pillows,and a coffee table, end tables...really a little living room area plus, by the entertainment center... a desk, a table that pulled out from under the business desk area (and an extra chair) so one could make a dining area....all of quite rich hardwoods with a lovely patina Really a suite fit for royalty and at a mere pittance. The entertainment area itself held a HUGE TV and reception was excellent with a variety of channels for what little viewing time that I had.

The bathing area was just as nice. I enjoyed a nice long soak later after studying for my conference.
In the meantime, I logged onto their excellent internet with no dificulty and went over details for the class that I was to take the next day. At the end of my study session I got ready to gather my papers, including a pre-test (which I had printed at home prior to leaving) together...only to find...NO PRE-TEST! Of course, I had NOT brought my printer with me. So I rushed down to the hotels (thank God) excellent business center, logged onto their computer and was able to retake and print out the pre-test. What a lifesaver!
By this time it was pretty quiet in the lounge, business center area as the game was apparently over. I noted a couple of ladies, with their laptops, each with a bottle of wine and a wine glass, sipping wine and working or whatever. The area had such a relaxing ambience that I was tempted to join in, sitting there with my own laptop, sipping wine, enjoying the lovely understated tasteful holiday decorations, so peaceful...so lovely...but then I remembered how early I had to be up so it wasn't meant to be
After my conference the next day there was a problem in that one of my certifications, which I absolutely HAD to have THAT day(as, due to business I was moving so mailing it to me was NOT an option) wasn't with the company representative from the conference. He called his company and they had to create and fax the certificate to the hotel. The clerks at the desk were GREAT about haunting the fax machine for me until the all important fax with my certificate came through.

Overall I was more than happy with my stay at the Courtyard Marriot LA Torrance/South Bay..from the cheerful holiday decorations in the lobby to the efficient check in, the business services offered, the excellently appointed room at a more than reasonable price, the business center, the relaxing lounge and common areas, everything. I cannot think of a single con, all pros, from the start of my stay to the finish.

I might add that they have a small but adequate fitnes area that is open 24/7.

I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler for business or any travel need.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank telenurse2008
North East England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed here for three nights on 18th Nov. It was straight off the highway 405, so it was handy getting to places. When we pulled up we were a bit worried that it looked basic and in an area that wasn't in the middle of everything. But after entering it we found the rooms clean and spacious with everything in the room that we needed, including coffee maker, iron, iron board, toiletries, work desk, sofa, hairdryer.
Downstairs was an area with free morning coffee, computers and a printer for checking in for airline tickets. There was a small bar/restaurant area which we didnt use but others were using it. The pool area looked ok but it was too cold to go out to try it!!
If you went down the road 5 mins by car there was a Walmart and a Walgreen shop which was handy for bargains.
We only paid $89 a night for this hotel as we only want a cheap break away for a couple of days so we found that we had our money's worth.
Would we stay here again? Yes we would because we personally didn't have anything to complain about. We faced the freeway and the noise was only faint like you would hear at home, so we can't complain about that.
If you want a five star hotel then you pay the price for one, this was fine for the money

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the courtyard if you would be worried about the road noise, but it never b...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family