Review Highlights
USED to be my favorite place to snowboard/ski

Reviewed 15 July 2018
Marlee D
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Favorite Tahoe Ski Area

We love Alpine Meadows. It’s a great place to take kids skiing -so many intermediate runs groomed... read more

Reviewed 13 July 2018
AllyG99
Auburn, California
via mobile

All reviews ski school spring skiing ski area base lodge mid mountain the fresh mountain air other resorts trail map mid week views are amazing blue runs lake tahoe skiers squaw lift snow slopes
Reviewed 15 July 2018

AM used to be my favorite resort on Lake Tahoe because it was more lowkey and seemed to be the place the locals would go, which is usually a great sign. In 2017 we visited and was looking forward to their breakfast burritos, apparently they stopped selling those. The café would close between peak eating hours which was a bummer because we always like to have a late breakfast or an early lunch and they seemed to be closed. This was the same in 2018 and I decided that I probably wouldn't return to Alpine Meadows the next time we come to Tahoe.

Although in Jan 2018 there was not as much snow as 2017 there were not as many runs open as usual. To get a good view of the lake you have to take certain runs to get there and those were all closed. I was highly disappointed. We had already been to Squaw earlier in the week and did not enjoy that resort as much either. Again, there were many runs closed so we felt as if we were doing the same runs all day which is not what you want when you are spending over $120+ on a lift ticket.

1  Thank Marlee D
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

We love Alpine Meadows.
It’s a great place to take kids skiing -so many intermediate runs groomed really well. Awesome lake views. Good atmosphere with staff and skiers. Disabled skier program.
We only give it 4 stars because the parking is a hassle and the food is not top notch ( we bring our lunch!).

1  Thank AllyG99
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Enjoy the pure cool breeze on the serene settings of Tahoe lake and snow capped mountains Please spend at least one night and two days and explore the foods in restaurants beside the lake

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

We stopped by for some photos last week. This is a crowded stop and parking is limited. Views were amazing and easy to access. Do not miss this

Reviewed 17 May 2018

Have skied here on and off for many years. I still find it difficult (and challenging) to try to make it up the front entry way (lots of stairs). Slopes and runs are generally a bit better-than-average and the place is not quite as crowded as some other area resorts.

Reviewed 27 April 2018

they have a nice main lodge, with decent outdoor seating for nice days. the mountain is spread out, and there is something for everyone. seems to be well suited for families and they also cater to disabled skiers.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

I skiied for two days in mid-March, 2018. It was more like winter skiing than spring skiing.

I did not hit any of the Black Diamond runs, as I was skiing by myself and I've promised my kids not to over-challenge myself. It was my first time at Alpine in over a decade, so as I usually do when new to a ski venue, I skiied left to right on each lift. I skipped runs that were mogully (not groomed) as my legs are not as rubber-bandy as they were a decade ago.

Overall, the Blue runs are rather less challenging than say Sun Valley or Deer Valley. On the other hand, the lift staff are friendlier and more helpful. There were a lot of "guest services" folks available (with whom I chatted), and the resort seems dedicated to making sure that guests know where they are and where to go.

It seems to me as far as on-slope crowd management has gone, the Alpine Meadows management has opted for lots of low-speed, fixed chair lifts, as opposed to fewer, high-speed detachable chair lifts. The issue is: how many snow-sports folk are discharged onto one point on mountain per minute. Crowds weren't an issue for me, as I was there mid-week.

I can't comment about the on-site ski rental, or about the ski school, kids or adult, as I didn't use same. But I did inspect the on-site incidentals + ski wear store: far better than Mammoth Mountain as far as choice. I can't comment on prices.

The base signage about the status of lifts and runs is excellent. The on-mountain signage is not as great, but not bad. This is not an Alpine Meadows-specific complaint: many ski resorts are signage-deficient, in my view. For example, the on-mountain signage doesn't match or clearly identify the runs identified on the printed trail map.

I did ski "the back side" -- the area served by the Sherwood lift. I think the only way to access that area is the trail called "Ron's Rut" -- which isn't even a run. Why the Alpine Meadows management hasn't cut a groomable cat track to the area, I cannot say. It's a long, non-groomed traverse that you have to travel on your left ski. Since my left leg is my weak link, I did not go over there the second day of skiing. Don't bother if you are a snowboarder, and especially don't bother if you are skiing with little kids. Which is a pity, as the whole area served by the Sherwood lift has delightful skiing and lovely views.

About on-slope dining options: again, I was there mid-week, and a low user count day. The Chalet (mid mountain) was closed both days, darn, I have dietary restrictions due to dental issues. Day one, I ate at the base lodge (I forget what it's called) -- there's a food court, but only two of the stations were open. The only thing that met my restrictions was chili-- the ski venue staple -- it was an excellent example of said staple. If you are going to Alpine Meadows, you might be advised to plan ahead to bring your lunch, and just purchase a beverage to pay for the huge lunch area.

Will I ski Alpine Meadows again? You bet. But maybe not on a weekend.

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

Went here for a day of skiing. I did not expect it to be great, but after one run, I had enough. Rocks everywhere, and not wanting to ruin my skis, I went to see if I could get a refund. A one day ticket was $169!!, and no refunds offered, ever!
Very disappointed, will never go again.

2  Thank MariusW46
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Alpine Meadows Resort is a favorite of locals as a ski area. It is combined with Squaw Valley, the larger more famous area. What sets Alpine apart, is the wide open bowls from intermediate to advanced. There are a half dozen bowls, all spectacular. The views are also stunning from the lake view chair and there is great tree skiing in that area, especially after a big powder dump.

Scott chair also has fine tree skiing, albeit a little steeper.

Usually Alpine is not crowded except on holiday weekends and there is plenty of off piste skiing even for any level. They have a good beginner area for skiers or snowboarders.

1  Thank calsun99
Reviewed 8 January 2018

This area offers a great view of mountains and plain meadows. Living in a busy crowded city such as Chicago usually does not offer such a great opportunity to just look beyond the horizon and to soak in unaltered nature.