“All I Can Say Is...Great Hotel!!”

Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Susanville
GreenLeadersGold level
Midwest City, Oklahoma
“All I Can Say Is...Great Hotel!!”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I stayed at the Hotel July 2010, the weekend of the fair, for my 8th grade class reunion..Diamond View Class of 1984. I grew up in Susanville and hadn't been back since 1989 so this trip a lot to me.

I was the organizer of the event and began my planning a couple moths in advance with Cathy Morrison, the hotel Sales Manager. She was wonderful!! Helped me in deciding the menu...gave me suggestions and ideas and was all around a wonderful person. The hotel staff was amazing...and Kim Baxley...AWESOME...she was soo great that evening while we were having the reunion. Helpful, sweet and truly knows the meaning of customer service.

The room was a wonderful surprise. Sometimes rooms on the web site do not always look the same in person...not here!! Very clean!! Loved the space, decor and the beds....soooo comfy!! I was extremely tired from flying all day, driving to Susanville from Reno and then staying up pretty late....and I slept like a baby!! I have never slept on a hotel bed that comfortable.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel....but very good and very well priced. Went to the Willow Room the next night after getting back from the fair...beautiful room! They were having anothe reunion that night in the WR and there was a lot of fun to be had!!

I am not a smoker...so, that's the only (and it's a tiny one) negative for me. I see that was a concern for several of the othe people who wrote reviews on here. I know there are commercial air filtering systems made specifically for bars where cigarette smoke is an issue....if you could eliminate that one issue...there would no negatives!!

The staff was very friendly and all around a really great group of people. I would highly reccomnd this Hotel and faciility. In fact, I'm planning a trip two summers from now for my family and can't wait to come back to Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank angelswdf
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Kathy,
Thank you so very much. I will let Cathy and Kim know of your kind words for them, they both work very hard to keep our guests comfortable and happy.
Gary
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Chico, California
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I am a nurse, travel a lot and am critical about cleanliness. My room was extremely clean and tastefully decorated (enjoyed the American Indian power animal art). The bed was comfy to sleep on (yes, only 4 stars, that is my own idiosyncrasy - I never have an excellent night's sleep when I work/travel). The shower was great and the granite countertops were roomy. Had the small rib eye, "cook your own steak", one evening, which was delicious, tender. The fixings were perfect - felt like I had my own at home barbeque without having to clean up the mess. Ate two meals at the restaurant - nutritious and fairly priced. My only suggestion is to add squaw bread with salads/entrees (don't need a whole loaf, just a couple of slices). ALL of the staff, from reception to checkout was kind and considerate. When I arrived home, realized that I had left an important item in my room - phoned the facility, the receptionist located my lost item within two minutes, the general manager phoned me the following day & swiftly mailed it to me. I will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank eastwesttravelers
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2011
All of our housekeeping staff thanks you for your kind words. They work very hard and appreciate it very much when they are noticed. Gary
Northern California
Reviewed 14 July 2011

What a great place to stay while visiting Susanville! I know, it's not usually known as a destination point. (But, lots of CDCR employees new to the local facilities rent small rooms in Susanville during the week and commute home for weekends and holidays.) So, when we decided to visit our friends for a few week days, we chose Diamond Mountain Hotel after reviewing the other options in town.

What a wonderful decision! Reservations were easy online and they give AAA and AARP discounts. Website directions to the casino/hotel are clear. At the front desk, Heather made check-in pleasant and easy. We were given a wonderful non-smoking room with 2 pillow-top queen beds, free wi-fi, mini-fridge and microwave, Keurig coffee maker, sitting bench, large dresser, desk, desk chair and large leather(like) chair. The room is very adequate for 2 people. The bathroom was clean and well-appointed. There is a flat screen TV and cable. We stayed 2 weekday nights. Both nights were very quiet with very little hallway noise, probably because we were at the end of the hallway. The A/C works very well... arctic-like. We turned it off and opened the window a little to get fresh air that didn't freeze us. One pillow-top bed was lop-sided and leaned toward the nightstand. Obviously most sleep on that side of the bed, but it felt as if I was going to roll off onto the floor. I tried to sleep on the other side of the bed, but it leaned the same direction. I discovered that if I slept at a diagonal, it was fine.

We ate breakfast in the non-smoking section at the casino restaurant both mornings. Very good prices, especially if you get a senior discount using your Diamond Mountain club card. Wait staff was friendly, helpful and efficient. The food was good. Try the bacon! It is especially good. Staff told us it was from a local provider, and you certainly can tell the difference in quality.

The casino is very tiny, but that's part of its charm. There are no money redemption/change machines and you must go to the cashier's window; old school, but a nice reminder of the past. Gaming was fun, and slots may be a little looser than at some other Indian casinos.

An unpleasant aspect of our stay was the OVERWHELMING smell of cigarette smoke throughout the facility. It hit us upon arrival at the hotel check-in desk, even though the desk is in a separate section and away from the casino. The smoke in the casino is far more intense than in most of the new casinos we've been to. Even though we had a non-smoking room, we could still smell smoke with the windows closed; maybe it was coming through the ventilation system.

There is an indoor pool which looked great, but we didn't have time to use it.

We'll certainly return for another stay if we ever go back to Susanville. Hope they put in a better smoke-removing ventilation system before that, though.

Room Tip: Pay a few dollars more and get free wi-fi, mini-fridge and microwave. AAA & AARP discounts are...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TitaNui
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words. Being small we do have to try harder. This fall we will eliminate all smoking rooms from the hotel. This should remove all residual smoke smell from any room. Thank you again, Gary Gladstone, Manager.
Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 31 October 2010

The hotel was a little hard to find since it is not on the main street in Susanville. When we first walked in, the smoke from the casino was very strong. We checked in and went to our rooms. The room was very nice, the comforter was especially nice and warm with the nasty weather we were having. The pillow topped mattress was wonderful! The bathroom is a nice size and the shower had wonderful strong water pressure which made me feel like I was receiving a back massage. My son enjoyed the heated indoor swimming pool on the first floor. The next day, we all visited in the foyer and enjoyed the comfortable sitting area for a while. We later ate at the smoke free restaurant. We had to walk through the smoking area to get to it though. The food was good and the waitresses were very nice and helpful. They were very nice about us moving tables when our large group wanted to eat together. They also did not have a problem with us doing separate checks. The food was a decent price for what we received.
We checked out the fitness area and it had a lot of new equipment. The business center had 2 computers and 2 printers. It fit our needs perfectly.

Overall, I would stay at the Diamond Mountain Casino again if I made it back to Susanville again.

• Stayed October 2010
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
All the staff thanks you for your review. It makes all the hard work worth it.
Gary
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Traveling and spent one night here. Service at the desk was not overly friendly but adequate as was the room. To get to the restaurant you have to walk through the casino and the smell of smoke is overwhelming. Restaurant service was friendly but my steak was very tough. Because it's connected to a casino there is a lot of noise during the night both in the hotel and the parking lot. We were awakened by shouting in the parking lot, honking horns, and doors slamming all night.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
This_Hotel_Guy, Manager at Diamond Mountain Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2010
I am very sorry you were not happy with your stay with us. Most people rave about the pillow-top mattresses and sleep very well. Please contact me so we can find a resolution to the problems you experience. Thank you, Gary