“Great Aroma”

Kal's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #210 of 379 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

The aroma that welcomed us when we opened the car door was great. The food was not as good as the smell. Potato salad was dry and the coleslaw was okay.

Service was great. They did accommodate one gentleman who wanted breakfast after they were done preparing that meal.

Atmosphere is haphazard with boxes stacked in the eating area.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Kal's Bar-B-Q

Reviewed 21 April 2015

Not a bad burger, but no much left to this place. I think once it was state of the art in burger making. Do not predict long-term survival.

Reviewed 11 February 2015

I've passed this place on every single trip I've made to Sunnyvale and always said, "I gotta try it" to myself as I went to a business meal or meeting. Finally, I had the opportunity to stop in. It smelled wonderful from the outside and I was really looking forward to an awesome BBQ (Pulled Pork, Ribs, or Smoked Brisket). Sadly, none of that was on offer.

However...

The steak sandwich was really exceptional. Many times steak sandwiches come out as a piece of shoe leather on a bun -- chewy, dry and uninspiring. This was not the case here. While I wasn't offered an option in terms of temperature, it came out medium well and was very easy to manage. I'd definitely go back for the steak sandwich.

1  Thank Damien D
Reviewed 7 October 2014 via mobile

I was really interested to try this "hole in the wall" place during my visit to Sunnyvale. However, I found it was really just mediocre. The gentleman who greeted me was very friendly but I was cashed out by an older man with no smile and not even a thank you.

As for my meal, the pulled pork was good, but they barely put any on the bun. The bun itself was just a cheap white hamburger bun that had that "day-old crunch" to it. The fries were run-of-the-mill plain and lacked any flavor.

Not a bad place, but nothing to write home about.

1  Thank Josh A
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Kal's is no barbeque restaraunt. I was with a group of 6. We got a variety of burgers and barbeque sandwiches all with fries. The burgers and fries were nothing special. The barbeque seemed to have been some type of premade barbeque; definitely not made on site. The condiment bar was nice. I also felt the prices were high for the food we received. I will say they had very clean and nice bathrooms that had recently been renovated:)