“Very good food, questionable service?”
Review of Ginger Cafe

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mathilda Ave
Description: Chinese Cuisine with Southeast Asian Influence
Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

I have visited the Ginger Cafe here and the one in Gilroy. I always have a great experience, but this time was different and confusing.

I always order the Half Peking Duck for myself, which is amazing. But this visit I was with my boyfriend and we decided to order the whole Peking Duck to share instead.

We figured since we ordered twice the amount of meat, we’d get twice the amount of pancakes and sauce - we were wrong. And we had to pay extra to get enough sauce and pancakes to eat the entire bird. It is actually cheaper to order two entrees of Half Peking Duck. This was the first disappointing thing this evening.

To drink we both ordered Strawberry Lemonade, which we order here all the time - and not only did we get our appetizer before our lemonade, but this time there was no refill?! We always get free refills when we go to Ginger Cafe so this was weird. I’d be happy to just drink water for the rest of the meal, but it tastes so strongly of chlorine that it is undrinkable.

But the food was amazing as always, and the Soft Crab Spring Rolls are amazing appetizer or just a small lunch. So I give my 4/5, pulling one point for inconsistency on the free refill and lack of sides for the Peking Duck.

Experience from previous visits:
The Lamb Chops has no sides, so you better order some extra veggies if you plan on ordering it. The Orange Chicken also lacks of veggies, but is very good, especially with fried rice.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

It is not a typical Chinese, as it uses Southeast Asian spices, and sauces. It uses more seafood ingredient. It is popular with young professionals of different ethnicity sharing the lunch together. It features lunch special, and the service is fast. The restaurant has a high ceiling, decorated with stone buddha heads.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

Dim sum costs twice as much here, however they use the pricer ingredients. I had the seabass dumplings and it legit tastes like Chilean seabass. We also had the Taro cake or some type of fried Dim sum with Taro and it was delicious.

Overall it has a higher scale feel to it without being pretentious so I called it upper midscale. Nice place to eat with clients, elevated but not "special occasion" expensive.

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Soup was OK, rest of food really borderline mediocre, with very odd aftertaste (overused/burnt oil?) vegetables were both fresh and chicken and seafood washed and laundered, nothing authentic and far from many many great Asian restaurants we've tried, very underwhelming, and we ended up paying almost $100 for a couple... skippable.

Service was Ok

Reviewed 28 August 2017

This is the togo place in Sunnyvale, Food is very delicious and quickly served. It is definitely doable for lunch. They have a lunch menu that is smaller portions and inexpensive.