“Very convenient location and good service”

Howard Johnson Stockton
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Stockton
Stockton
“Very convenient location and good service”
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I have been traveling from Bay Area to Stockton very often. I become a regular customer of this hotel. I like it because its very convenient location, which is downtown of Stockton. The rooms are clean, they all have micro wave, refrigerator and free wireless internet access. Lots of parking spaces. The Manager is nice, the service is excellent.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reno, NV
Reviewed 19 May 2008

We needed to stay in Stockton to attend my daughter's graduation from UOP on May 17, 2008. Booked this hotel thru Hotwire so I didn't know the hotel until after I had paid for it. After reading the negative reviews I was apprehensive but had hoped that maybe ownership had changed and things were improving. Not! It started at check-in where my credit card was run for the full room price. After a little convincing the clerk finally believed me that I had pre-paid with Hotwire and tore up the charge. Let's hope it doesn't appear on my statement!

We walked into the very cramped room and turned on the antique window air conditioner since the room was stifling. My teenage son (140 pounds) sat on the bed and the bed broke! One side was now 8 inches lower than the other. No remote for the T.V. After less than five minutes all of our white socks were black from the filthy carpet. Sent the kids down to the office to get coffee mugs and one more set of towels. Clerk told them no coffee cups until 7AM when the mugs would be in the lobby and you cannot have any towels since you were already alloted three sets. We had 4 people in our room who had to share towels because this hotel rations them like they were gold. Noisy, dump!

3 Thank renobob6
Modestotraveller, Manager at Howard Johnson Stockton, responded to this review, 27 May 2009
Thank you for the comments regarding your previous stay with us. We realize that some time has passed since this review was submitted but as new owners wanted to share the improvements that have occurred.

Since May 2008, the staff and management have taken several key steps to improve the overall experience of our guests. Through improved customer service and guest room upgrades our guests have realized a much improved overall stay experience. With feedback such as this, it allows us to continue our focus on improving those areas that are important to our guests. .

We appreciate again the comments of your stay and do hope to see you soon so that it will allow us to show the improved Howard Johnson in Stockton.

Travellers are raving about these Stockton hotels

California
Reviewed 13 August 2007

The parking lot is full and the security is weak so you cannot be secure with your vehicle because the neighborhood is undesireable. The owner allows people from neighboring buisinesses to rent his lot.
The breakfast was a joke.
The room was dirty. Very unsanitary and had roaches.
The night manager was very disrespectful and unproffesional.
The owners are very unproffessional and have no business working with the public. Unproffesional decisions and attitude.
I made arrangements to stay with my crew for over a month as we were working nearby , when I informed the manager I needed to check out he refused to make the financial agreement fair out of greed, therefore losing my business as well as my respect.

I will never stay here again...
CPM Contractors
BULLDOG

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank TammyHein
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 23 May 2006

Stayed here for a night during a drive from Sacramento to San Diego. Picked it based on low rates and free internet access and continental breakfast.

It was okay. Think Motel 6. It was mostly clean and I didn't see anything that alarmed me although my feet did get dirty walking on the carpets. Bed was comfortable.

It wasn't in the greatest area, but I didn't feel unsafe. Not too many dining choices in the area without hopping in the car. The continental breakfast was standard hotel fare.

It's not the best place I've stayed, but I'd stay there for a night again if I had to.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank ltdscott
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed 20 October 2005

Don't believe the 3 star or even the 2 star ratings this place gets. We checked in late-nite and very tired. The desk clerk finished what sounded like a personal call before she decided to check us in. She told her caller something like "No I,m not busy...just a reservation.". She was clearly either untrained or fully disinterested in her job. Our room had seen a whole lot of wear-and tear and very little (if any) cleaning or maintenance for some time. The night-latch on the door had been forced open in the past and the "repair" job they did made it less than useless. I moved a table and chair against the door for the night. The sheets were freshly laundered but were dingy and still had small blood-like stains on them. Worst of all was the FILTHY CARPET !! It was wet in places and the bottoms of our slippers turned BLACK with filth from just walking across it. It was too late to find another hotel that night so the next morning I told the morning desk clerk what was wrong with the room and that were were cancelling the remainder of our 3-day reservation. He explained that because the room was near the pool that previous occupants had probably got the floor wet. He offered no price adjustment and when I brought up the subject he refused any compensation. We checked into the Holiday Inn Express in Lodi and for just a few dollars more got an excellent room and even better service. I used to stay at Howard Johnson's about 10 years ago and was very satisfied. What Happened ???????

9 Thank small-bucks