All reviews ping pong front desk full size refrigerator downtown stockton shuttle service fire pit baseball stadium outdoor area restaurant bar nice amenities flat screen tv the hotel is clean great customer service upon check road trip parking lot courtyard
Reviewed 31 October 2015

For the price, this is a decent hotel. Clean and light lobby. Lots of windows to grassy area with seating and pool. Rooms priced well ($100 range) and comfortable beds. Walked in to find a full-size refrigerator with a microwave placed on top inside the entryway to my room. While the appliances were unexpected, they were also in a very odd place and the lack of counter, sink (other than the bathroom) and any plates, cups, or utensils added insult to injury. The carpet was soiled, and the windows out to the social area (lawn, seating, recreation) were awkward. I ended up keeping the curtains drawn tight the entire visit to avoid being displayed in the "fishbowl." This would not have been a problem except for the fact that I was on the ground level and people were sitting just outside my room. Overall, the room suited my needs (just a place to sleep between meetings), but I was not overly comfortable.

Room tip: Avoid the ground floor. Windows face the interior lawn area (full of people)
Reviewed 23 October 2015

Stockton has a bad reputation, some of it earned - some of it not. Having lived and worked there for many years, I can clearly see now when I come back to visit it's trying very hard to improve. Having said that, one of Stockton's most disappointing features for travelers has been a lack of quality lodging options for business or pleasure. The two Marriotts and the Hilton have historically been the only places for most business people to seriously consider or like myself usually - finding a hotel in a neighboring city.

However, this trip (business) we decided to try the University Waterfront Hotel, currently ranked #1 on Trip Advisor. This property has a rocky history just like Stockton, first being a Sheraton than other iterations before finally evolving into a a combo condo/hotel with an emphasis on providing student housing options for the University of the Pacific which is located nearby.

So we had no idea what to expect but were very happily surprised to find a well maintained, clean, secure and friendly hotel with a good restaurant/bar that actually stays open past 7pm (a rarity in local hotel restaurants) and with a great outdoors area with pool tables, a pool, comfortable seating areas right on the water.

The student housing is separate and there was no "dorm" like behavior we witnessed during our stay.

ROOMS: The rooms have tons of storage, high beds and large bathrooms. My only complaint was the inability to at least open the windows a few inches to get some night breeze. The beds are comfortable, TV's are wall mounted with a good selection of channels. The decor is not a theme I'd embrace for my home but for a hotel it's fine.

The rooms have near full size fridges and microwaves, plus coffee makers.

PARKING: Plenty of free and secure parking that has security guards and a strong enforcement for ensuring only guests and residents use the lot.

LOCATION: The hotel is next door to the Stockton indoor arena and the Stockton Ports ball park. It's a very short drive or even stroll to the core downtown area so if you're here for working there, this is an excellent (the only) choice. It's easily accessible off I-5 and access to the crosstown freeway which takes you to State Highway 99 in 5 minutes. It's about 45 min south of Sacramento airport and an hour east of Oakland airport.

SERVICE: Friendly, efficient front desk people. And the restaurant/bar has excellent staff who are competent, funny and work hard to provide a high quality of service to the guests.

RESTAURANT/BAR ON SITE: As Downtown Stockton still closes at quitting time, there are no real options within walking distance for dinner so the onsite restaurant does a great job of offering a varied menu for all 3 meals.

PRICE/VALUE: We paid almost half of what the Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inns on March Lane were charging. Now they're both located in a more commercial area of the city but not worth the increased per night rate. The value at the University Plaza hotel is the best in Stockton. WiFi is free and actually pretty fast for hotel wi-fi.

We plan on making this our new base hotel for our business trips to the area.

5  Thank dreampilot
Reviewed 15 October 2015 via mobile

When arrived we walked into the end of a March of Dimes event and the noise level was over the top so we had some concerns. After getting to our room we found it to be clean and quiet so no cause to worry. The room was clean and comfortable. We would stay here again.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank or-ontheroad
Reviewed 14 October 2015

I'll admit...I was terrified to stay in Stockton. My husband had to do some convincing to get me to book it. After confirming that all our insurances are adequate and paid, the fact that we didn't have our kids, we really needed a place in that area, and he called me "old and scared", I agreed. I was totally shocked once arriving. There was a great band, dancing, drinks in the courtyard...people swimming...playing ping pong....a view of the river...great staff...drinks...all on a hot summer night. It was fabulous! I was having such a great time I didn't even care if the car was stolen! The room was great-trendy, super comfortable, silent through the night-security was EVERYWHERE. We had an amazing time! AND, the deposit credited back to my credit card the same day! Fantastic!

Date of stay: July 2015
2  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed 4 October 2015 via mobile

Small but very plush rooms. Very good price. Multiple security guards and after hours they must buzz you in for additional security. Not a bad neighborhood. Nice waterfront plaza area with arenas. Plenty of easy security monitored parking. Staff was great. Independently owned and operated was another plus. Great nightlife.

Trip type: Travelled on business