“Great mom and pop shop”

Darby Dan's Gourmet Sandwiches
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 28 October 2017

This was the first place I was recommended to go to by the reception at my hotel, and scored well here on Trip Advisor, so I thought I'd give it a try. In the heart of little downtown South San Fran, it's easy to get to.

The smells! Wow! Probably the best smelling deli I've ever smelled. You can tell this is where the locals go, and they probably go often. I probably should have got a sandwich, because they did look amazing, but I wasn't feeling like a sandwich. Instead, I got the cheeseburger with the mac salad on the side.

I was not disappointed. I don't know if they use a cheese sauce mixed with cheese, but omg, that cheese. It was drippy and oozing, and never hardened up. My burger was a little too cooked, so if you like your meat a less less well done, I'm sure you can just ask for it to be cooked medium.

The mac salad was obviously house made with lots of herbs, and was super savory. I wish I had a bigger portion.

All in all, I would eat here again anytime.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

I was looking for a good local sandwich shop while visiting San Fran. After seeing all the reviews figured we would give this Sandwich shop a try. It was very good, definitely much better than any regular sandwich chain. The ladies making the sandwiches were polite and answered my questions.

I tried the "Sleeper" on Dutch crunch bread. It was a little tougher bread than I expected but that was my fault as I had heard it was a tough bread and decided to try it anyway. The sandwich itself was very good. I really liked the garlic mayo.

If I get the chance to eat here again I think I will have the same thing his on a sourdough roll or wheat bread.

Eating 5 stars because the sandwich quality is definitely worth the price and the service was excellent!

Reviewed 9 April 2017

I ate here several times in the last month as I working down the street from this sandwich shop. Get here early for lunch because it gets crowded. I love the Rueben (hot sandwiches and salads are ordered at a seconded counter in the back of the shop). The roast beef was also very good. It is a gem of a place to have a good lunch at a reasonable price.

1  Thank opdr444
Reviewed 29 March 2017

Darby Dan's has been in South City for 40 years or so. Why is it still in business? Because the sandwiches are good quality and reasonably priced

Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Excellent made to order sandwiches. No frills deli feel, lots of locals. On the corner from my hotel. I had the half crab/and shrimp salad. Portions sizes are generous. Loved the jalapeno kick.