See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 May 2017

What a terrible place. We booked a room online and were within 2 minutes of arrival, guy called with terrible English and said room flooded and canceled our reservation!
We showed up as we were just around the corner. The counter attendant obviously lives there as it smelled horrible.
Refused to show me room, refused to address why he personally cancelled reservation. Remind you he said room flooded...yea right! He kept saying he refused to sell me the room, English was not his first language!
Finally he admitted someone else called and said they would pay MORE MONEY! My reservation is cancelled now get out!

He totally lied, I stopped next door at the next hotel same parking lot, was told this was routine treatment by the previous establishment!

ROYAL INN-save your time and money!

FYI we were in town and U2 was performing, this was nothing but about charging fees for a room! Royal Inn advertised a rate that was false!

We ended up sleeping in our car in South San Fran because no other rooms were available within 75 miles!

Room Tip: DO NOT spend your hard earned American money here! RUDE
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

We booked the motel for an overnight stay close to San Fran airport. Upon arrival we immediately felt unsafe in the area (not the motels fault) and put our guard up. The reception area had a strong smell and a glass partition, obviously to protect the staff, which was worrying.
Our room was on the second floor, had basic amenities as expected for a motel, which all worked fine. Apart from the lack of hairdryer, so I couldn't wash my hair. The bed was comfy, but the sheets and pillows were dirty and had stains on them. The carpet and curtains also looked like they had seen better days.
The room was noisy too, the front door openly overlooks the road.
It's a motel so I wasn't expecting much, we had stayed in a few others on this trip which were much better value for money, safe and clean. I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I stayed here and was given a 3rd floor room. That room was just OK. Because of a bad knee, I requested a lower level room and was assigned to one for people with mobility problems. That room was nasty and full of cockroaches. The sink was unclean and the bathroom floor had dead roaches. Also, I think the manager's family lives on the second floor, right above, my room. For a few hours, I heard nothing but kids running around. I contacted the manager and was told that he will speak to them. I had a feeling he's related to them. Also, I was quoted $79 online but ended up paying over $100+tax+resort fees.

Will I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Jerry A
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

We've stayed in many South SF hotels over the last 18 years, to be with our daughter and her family, who live nearby. Suddenly every place is incredibly expensive, like double to triple the prices from a year ago. This motel was in the price range we desired for a quick one nite sleepover before our granddaughter's 5th grade graduation.

The room was more acceptable than we expected. Quite clean and very large. Bed was clean and comfortable. Bathroom ok. TV worked ok. Quiet despite being on a busy street. Free WiFi.

Beyond that, Motel 6 would be a major upgrade. As examples of what you get for $125.00 a night:
Mini-fridge works, but the entire inside is broken. No shelves or freezer compartment.
Closet has hangers that are either plastic from Target or wire that the dry cleaners would toss out.
Very thin, puny towels.
You can get a hair dryer and coffeemaker from the office if you ask. But don't bother asking for cups or coffeemaker filters, let alone actual coffee, cream or sugar.

But worst is attitude of managers. They were polite, but showed little interest in assisting us. We felt as though our simple requests were seen as an imposition, or by surprise that we'd even consider asking. All we wanted were those coffee cups and an extra pillow, for example, and the manager's immediate response was that he didn't have any. He did think about it for a moment, however, and finally found a pillow he could spare.

Also, as mentioned, they couldn't be bothered finding us coffee cups or filters for the coffeemaker. These we had to buy at the grocery across the busy highway. Fortunately we got to this store just before they close - at 8 pm. BTW, the managers didn't even bother suggesting the grocery option nor warn us the store was about to close, once they turned down our requests. They've also posted little hand written, rude notes to the office window, such as "No refunds, ever". How we coming Why not say this in a nicer way?

Yes these are little things, but serve as an indication and warning about what travelers should expect. So, if you can stay anywhere else, I suggest you do so until these proprietors come up with an attitude adjustment.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Arlene H
Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

Upon arriving at the Royal Inn we were greeted by the local drunk homeless who tired to petal his wears to us (mio flavored water). Once we made it up the narrow cat-urine scented stairway to the main "lobby" of the hotel we were directed to our room by a rude gentlemen from the front desk. The room was not even close to what was advertised but we should have expected that from the price we paid. If you are accustomed to sleeping in what resembles a prison cell then you will feel at home at the Royal Inn. Don't expect a shower or a toilet of your own either. After an hour in the room we requested a refund (even a partial refund) and were denied so we took the loss and got an Airbnb. Head my warning and learn from my mistake, sleep on a strangers couch it is much nicer than this filthy establishment.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple